Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Need some ideas for Projector headlights.

Post by Custommx3 »

As stated before any unneccesary posts will be deleted. This is to get u guy s what u ant. If we have to have a cheaper set made, we can.
I Dont think these lights will be as expensive as 500. I was out on vacation this weekend I should have more info fo your guys tomarrow.
Dragon1976_27

Post by Dragon1976_27 »

Barry can you put that in Engrish for us, not a shot at you, just tryin' to lighten up the forum, as I see we've had some posts that are a little too serious! I mean aren't we all here because we have a love for the MX3? As Rodney King put it, "Can't we all just get along!" :D
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Sorry, typos...<p>I was making sure people know that posting in-needed post will be and have been deleted. <p>Someone stated they will cost 600 bucks (highly diubtful they will be that high), I was stating that we could make 2 sets, ones with hellas, ones with a cheaper alternative.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Yeah but think about whoever is going to make these lights...do you really think they'd settle for a 20 dollar profit per set sold?<p>If we use the carbon fiber model, i say you just get some molds made that bolt in, but don't come with headlight housings. Let the buyer decide which headlight housings to buy. I'm sure Hella isn't the only company that makes 90mm lights. I'm sure if someone is a cheapass and can only shell out 200-300 for the fiberglass headlight shell..that they'd find some cheap 90mm lights for like 40 dollars a pair if needed.<p>I personally think the fiberglass molded headlight idea is a cooler, better looking one, but i just have my reservations about the cost (which in turn would cause people to not buy them).<p>The "projector" style headlights is the cheaper and easier route. There are a few companies out there that make those, but at a price, and usually they require a certain amount of pre-payents to make it happen.<p>Hope we can get things rolling soon!! Projectors would be saawwweeeeet.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

These lights WILL be LEGAL as long as there is no clear cover in front of them. Then you'd have to go through the process of getting them DOT approved (which is not hard at all since DOT sucks monkey balls).<p>As long as you used DOT approved projectors, like Hella 90mm units, Hella HID 90 mm, Bosch Projectors, then you're fine. You can mount them in any car you want and they'd be DOT approved. It's the projectors themselves that are at question, not the fiberglass housing.<p>Hella is the only one that makes 90mm units. Bosch is REALLY close though at like 85mm and some at 90mm. None of that matters though since they're soo close.<p>There are many options out there for projectors.<p>Halogen Hella 90mm units in H7 (cheaper) and H9 (better light and minorly more expensive), HID 90mm units in low beam and bi-xenons, and Bosch makes the same stuff too.<p>You can get them on eBay for dirt cheap sometimes if you spend the time to look.<p>Barry, will these light pods have the brackets for mounting, or will we have to reuse our old ones???<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> Yeah but think about whoever is going to make these lights...do you really think they'd settle for a 20 dollar profit per set sold? <hr></blockquote><p>barry is making the lights, so it seems to me that he should know a price range of what they would cost. and i believe the plan is just to sell the housing and then let people get lights on their own or in a separate group buy. that's why he figures they will be so cheap.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
MysteryMachine

Post by MysteryMachine »

just thought that I'd get this topic back on top. So are there any updates yet?
94' Blaze Red MX-3- Just startin' out, but soon tah be da killer thriller. Rims, carbon fiber dash, neons, altezzas, start of a killer sound system. Body kit on after winter.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Well, the headlights are still in the process. I started on the 2nd 1/2 of the mold (the hard part) a few days ago. Just be aware this is a long process when doing a mold like this so please be patient. as far as price, that will be determined by the man hours that go into each headlight. Im trying to make sure the housings (not including the lights) stay below 200 bucks USD.
MI-Archangel

Post by MI-Archangel »

ok I took long time reading through all this and here is my conclusion. Carbonfibre is out it wont match most cf hood dew to the fact their is so much cf now as for trunign singal in light. OH GOD NO DONT DO IT! their is a stock blinker at bottom if some 1 has bodykit with no singal boowho cry about it you dont need signal infront anywayS! Now im sure people don't got alot of cash for this so defitnyl good diea barry on sticking with 2 models for lights. (lol my first intelligent post)
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

lol, BTW Ive been working dilligently on these lights. I was asked not to post pics of the molding process for business resons so I cant show u till its done, but we are 1/2 way there. its a 2 part mold and Ive got about 1/2 way done on each mold. I wouldnt recommaend anyone tackle this :)
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MMike:
their is a stock blinker at bottom if some 1 has bodykit with no singal boowho cry about it you dont need signal infront anywayS<hr></blockquote><p>actually a front signal light is legal otherwise they would have never been put on the car and when you go to safety your car they wouldnt go ape**** over those lights working (they wouldnt safety my car cause the front signals didnt work)
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Sounds really good Barry.<p>Are these light pods going to have mounting brackets attatched to them, or will we have to re-use our stock headlight brackets???<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
curtklze

Post by curtklze »

bump to the top.<p>what going on with this?
DONT SHIP WITH UPS!!! DIE UPS DIE!!!!!
Yes, I AM a bastard
Here is my web site, I made this last year but didnt feel like shareing it untill now.
http://members.rogers.com/curts-klze/

How does this guy know so much?
He's a licenced BMW technician.
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Im still workign on them, did some more work on them this weekend, got a few things slowing me down, but Im working dilligently on them.
Becker

Post by Becker »

Wow, I've just read the whole thing and am finally up to speed on the what going on. I cant wait to see the finished product i think losing the built in turn signal would be a good idea as stated before and carbon fiber is something i dont need (just adding my 2 cents) keep up the awsome work Barry!!! :) I hate my dull scratched plastic lenses. :mad:
94 V6 GS Teal
I'm Not C0CKY....Just Perfect

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”