[GI] Poly bushings: Making a Comeback in Feb 09'!!!

Do you have an MX-3 related item for sale? Post a quick note here.

Are you interested in purchasing Polyurethane Bushings for your MX-3?

Hell Ya!!! Can't wait!!!
41%
Yes, but times are tight and I need wait a while longer.
18%
Yes, but I may not want a complete set.
9%
Yes, I would prefer the kit without sway bar bush's for $50 off.
18%
Yes, but I want poly sway bar bush's too.
5%
No, the price is too high IMHO.
No votes
No, I just don't have the cash.
5%
No, you're an opinionated loser and I won't buy from you.
5%

Total votes: 22

marcdh

Re: [GI] Poly bushings: Making a Comeback in Feb 09'!!!

Post by marcdh »

Fools! Don't underestimate the value of bushings people :idea: I bet most people are running the same decayed bushings from the year their car was made :| I know I am :x TTT
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'll vote after I write this. Money is tight, but they would be So worth it, I'll save $$ somewhere else.
I have a question, though..
On a skateboard, softer bushings make you turn faster, because they flex.. Is it the same on our cars, or do they act as a bearing, moving inside the metal?
The actual question is: Would softer bushings just on the 4 points make the steering more active?

I haven't bought the swaybar yet, because I'm broke :(
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

To answer your question Jesse, you're right about flex and skate boards. A skateboard wheel is also providing traction to the rider. If the skateboard wheel was too hard, it wouldn't grip the road/sidewalk/swimming pool???. Better traction allows the skater to push into the turns. Like a skier digs in to carve a turn and push out.

Softer bushings on your car will make it more comfortable for sure but I don't think it'll impact the steering too much. I was thinking about the active rear suspension steering thing. I believe it's created by the fact that the rear lateral link outer bushing is longer than the width of the housing. Look at the diagram...

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... /R-037.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That extra bushing length offsets the lateral link from the spindle and allows it to flex during cornering...creating a bit of "turn in" of the outside rear wheel in a corner. I always wondered why that bushing was long like that. I think its an intentional "flex point" if you will. Anyway my point is, making the bushings stiffer will actually reduce that rear wheel steering effect that Mazda designed into the suspension. I think reducing that flex will make it turn harder. I would put my hardest bushings in the rear and softer up front. If you're too stiff up front the car would not be fun to drive on city streets. I think I am going to encourage everyone to go with the new design of swaybar bushings. Totally rigid is good there as it won't impact ride quality but will definitely impact handling.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

So if that extra length makes the rear wheels turn, and stiffening it will make them turn less, isn't that a BAD thing? Wouldn't we want a softer bushing there so it could flex MORE?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well my thoughts are that although they designed it to flex and "steer" the rear wheel, they're design is also inherently sloppy. making it stiffer may reduce that steering effect but I'd bet the farm that it will also make the car much more responsive.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I'm working up a prototype for the Nylatron sway bar bushings which are being discussed in another GI thread. My intention is to take the poly swaybar bushings out of the lineup to reduce the cost of the set and offer the Nylatron ones as a stiffer than stock option. My expectation though, is that the Nylatron option will work so well that it will make both the stock bushing and poly bushing obsolete.

I'll post results once I have made a set.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It's true. My car has modified Energy Suspension bushings, and it's pretty crisp. They don't engage until there's more force than the OEM ones engage at, but my car can handle alot more G-force. I do notice, though, that they seem to stop flexing before the OEM ones, too. They don't seem to create as tight of turn radius, but it's hard to compare. I know because I have a stock GS, and highly modified one that I switch from, depending on how I want to drive.
My skateboard analogy was for the bushings in the kingpin that flex when you push down the side of the board. The easier they flex (lower durometer), the tighter the skateboard turns.
My only concern is the possibility of the "bump-stop" effect.
I would like to experiment with softer bushings only on those flexing parts, so If you would send me a set of low Durometer bushings for this, I can directly compare them to my Hard ES ones. I'm going to be doing some serious corner testing in a few weeks when I put on your endlinks, a Whiteline swaybar, and the SRD repro stuff. AFAIK, I will have the tightest suspension ever on an MX-3 at that point.
I've thought of swaping in the OEM ones to the fast car for this experiment, but they've got 170K miles on them, and the whole rear on that car is getting sloppy.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

im definately in on this. I was looking for something like this to come along cuz i need beshings all round and my car is getting really rough. I have the cash saved up now so once enough people are interested ill put my deposit in. I think what is scaring most people away is that this whole tread is 12 pages long and id say about 90% of us wouldnt spend that much time reading on something were not really that interested in.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

last night i read the whole thread, i'm in for a kit without the swaybar bushings, but would need it shipped to UK.
1997 1.6 16v DOHC uk spec gs, 17" wolfrace triad, 2.0l probe s/s header magnaflow high flow cat, powerflow custom catback, CAI, zx2 struts w/ -40mm lesjofors springs

http://www.uk-mx3.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well thanks for putting in the time. I know it's a lot to take in and msot of it is pretty boring, but there's a lot of information that I want you all to get from my research. I want everyone to be able to make a well informed decision.

It looks like from the results of the poll, although not spider-halo-headlight-like, the response is sufficient to begin taking deposits in February. Please everyone who is on the fence, I would like to know where you all stand. Cast your votes. I will revive the GB thread in a few weeks and once I have enough deposit money I will place the order for the molds. At that point it should be about 8 weeks to delivery. I'm confident everyone can have sexy new bushings for spring.

Charlie
My Worklog
My feedback thread
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Why am I not at the top of the list? I demand to be at the top of the list! :lol:
Cody
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

wytbishop wrote:It looks like from the results of the poll, although not spider-halo-headlight-like, the response is sufficient to begin taking deposits in February....I'm confident everyone can have sexy new bushings for spring.
Charlie
YAYYY Charlieeeeeee! :lol: Seriously though - great news :)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

im happy this is still on. Who knows maybe the Canadian dollar will be close to the American dollar by the spring.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

94mx3precidia wrote:im happy this is still on. Who knows maybe the Canadian dollar will be close to the American dollar by the spring.
Uh, I think wyt's based in Alberta...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

but the price i thaught was in american dollars??

Return to “MX-3 Related Items For Sale/Trade”