Is it possible to kill a computer with info?

Off-Topic Discussions
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Is it possible to kill a computer with info?

Post by Daninski »

So how can Jesse fix this?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Daninski wrote:You would think for a few extra bucks Mega squirt would use a dual EEPROM. If one failed as may be the case here the other one would take over then reflash the fist chip. Ya losing power during a flash is bad news.
mikeinaus wrote:hopefully the problem is a failed eprom, the board and other components would be salvageable relatively easily. did the board look like it had any burn marks or anything? and burnt metal smell? if there is no physical burn marks on the board its possible it can be fixed relatively easy if none of the main components are damaged...
Shoot, ya, I completely overlooked that! If it's only the EEPROM that failed because of the unsuccessful flash, could easilly just replace that rather than spend the money on a whole new MS system.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

if the eeprom failed it would still receive power. according to that manual it sounds like a voltage regulator on the board either leaked, capacitor failure, or a short IMO
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It's on it's way to Georgia, to the hands of an expert :)
pftuning.com
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Remember the motherboards with the leaky capacitors in the early 2k? they'd just kinda spill everywhere, then they started marketing "japanese capacitors, itadakimasu!" everywhere. Oh man, I hated those things
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

i was thinking it was a failed capacitor as well... good luck jesse.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Thanks, Mike, There was just a loose wire, and it was obvious where it came from. there wasn't any indication of shorting, and the board has very little tolerance between the metal lines.
Thanks for the link, SuperK.
I don't trust myself with it any more, so I'm having a guy put it back to it's former state, with my tune on it, and everything. I hope it's something that simple, and it will just cost me the shipping, and whatever he wants for fixing it.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mikeinaus
antispam: No

Post by mikeinaus »

any updates Jesse?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I have to write to the guy tomorrow, and make sure he got it :? I kind of wish I would have just bought a new one, and sold the old one to someone who could diagnose, and fix it... I hope that with shipping, it costs less to fix it than buying a new one.

Return to “Off-Topic”