MrMazda92's '93 GS "Trinity" - Updated

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Evo_Spec

Re: MrMazda92's '93 GS "RightMeow" *Update* D/S Rotors + Pad

Post by Evo_Spec »

hey, why are there no pictures in this thread!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

Engine bay photo added to post #1.

Oops..... :cry:

This is why you chock your wheels when you ramp or jack a car... Because she's so low to the ground, I had to go from one 2x6 to two 2x6s, to my ramps on top of another 2x6, just to get it high enough to remove the exhaust.

I chocked the wheels, but the incline was enough that when I was removing the chocks, I lost one of the 2x6s to a slick driveway, and the car caught the edge of the ramp.

One of the hardest things to fix too, yay me huh? :(
AaronTietje

Post by AaronTietje »

That stinks....... A set of full length skirts would cover it. :shrug:
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I installed the EGR on my ZE, I connected the electrical and coolant lines (just because) but not the exhaust pipe. This eliminated getting any code. :D

Your idle isn't stepping up on start up so I'd double check your IAC. Nice to start up and have her run nice. You could try turning up your heater/defrost fan on start up as that will give you a little increase in RPM.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Aaron, you're probably right... this car will be MS kitted, so no full length sides unfortunately. I'll fix it, it just means I have to live with the damage until I do. :(

Dan, the ZE came from a US Millenia! I'm afraid something is actually wrong with the EGR. :lol: I need to just remove it... I've gotten 1/2 way through my to do list so far, I'll have to deal with that when I start on exhaust. Is there any harm in just disconnecting the electrical? I'd think not, from my limited understanding of EGR.

I'll check the IAC again, no harm in making sure. Thanks
Last edited by MrMazda92 on February 19th, 2012, 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

disconnecting the sensors on the egr *shouldnt* cause problems other then a code. that being said one of the techs at my school thinks my over fueling issue might be because of the lack of an egr.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I don't mind the code so much, I check it regularly anyways because of the code 9. I want to make sure nothing else sneaks up on me. :lol: I really need to tap that sensor in...

How off is your fuel again? I'm not so hot at converting metric to American standard...
I posted in your GI thread, but I'll say it again here because I think it's a good idea, but you should definitely look into Megasquirt... especially after all you've spent figuring this out, it wouldn't hurt, and it will probably solve your problem, while giving you a bit more power to boot!
Last edited by MrMazda92 on February 19th, 2012, 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

average is about 18mpg on my car in the city, last tank was 15mpg and ive had it as low as 13mpg when i had the car idle for probably an hour one night. with that kind of mileage i should be beating Porsche's.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Amen to that... If there's anything I can do to help troubleshoot, let me know. I'll help any way I can. :)
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mikeinaus wrote:average is about 18mpg on my car in the city, last tank was 15mpg and ive had it as low as 13mpg when i had the car idle for probably an hour one night. with that kind of mileage i should be beating Porsche's.
OMG, that's the mileage that my truck gets :shock:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '93 GS "RightMeow" *Update* Running smoothly

Post by MrMazda92 »

Got the car idling and running smoothly again! :D

Now it's just swapping the suspension over, bolting the exhaust back on to get it to the DMV, and fixing whatever breaks next. :welder: Yay for 20 year old cars! :lol:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '93 GS "RightMeow" *Update* Running smoothly

Post by MrMazda92 »

Brakes are bled, there was a ton of air in the system!! The rear brakes had the most, the front was pretty good! Braking is definitely greatly improved! The car is officially road worthy, and is insured to drive again. :D I just can't drive it after 9 PM... Uncorked KLs make a lot of noise! :lol:

Next on the list, tightening the shift linkage up better than factory. :welder:

After that, swapping suspension from the '92 and replacing broken shifter surround + damaged console.

Going to be a busy week for me :lol:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: MrMazda92's '93 GS "RightMeow" *Update* Back on the road

Post by Daninski »

Disconnecting the EGR is fine as long as it isn't stuck in the open position. Disconnecting the exhaust line and capping it is the only way to be sure,
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I'll be completely removing it when the time comes to rebuild this KL.
My other one won't even go in with EGR. :welder:

Is that really all their is to it though, as far as disconnecting it goes? Just leave it plugged in to avoid the CEL for now?
From what I've been able to determine, removing the EGR will only hurt economy on a factory A/F map, is this correct? It seems to me like properly analyzing your A/F ratio with a wideband, and tuning accordingly would be enough to avoid any loss in economy at cruise(which is the only time EGR does anything).

That's what I've been able to determine so far, from this, and other boards.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I need to be careful, or this might actually start to look like a worklog! :lol:

Image Image

The package on the left is the CorkSport "Bronzoil" shift bushing kit.
This kit installs with your factory hardware, but I will be replacing the factory nuts with nylocks.
If you keep the factory nut, I recommend you use threadlocker(or similar) to hold it in place.
Setting the tension of the nut/bolt takes time, but getting it just right is well worth it.

The package on the right is a much cheaper alternative to the CorkSport "3rd link" kit.
You can find these bushings at McMasterCarr.com, the product # is 5448T5. These go for ~$7 shipped.
For this swap, you will first need a grinder, or cut off wheel. Here is a great guide for this: 3rd Link How-To

I will be cleaning up the linkage prior to the swap tomorrow, I may snap a few pictures before and after.
Typically my hands are too dirty while working to take any pictures, and my girlfriend doesn't like following me
around all day. :lol:

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”