new Civic Si is scary good

Off-Topic Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

Re: new Civic Si is scary good

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mi|<E wrote:For not much more than they want for an SI you can grab a WRX or lancer
Speed3 starts at C$32'999, Subarus WRX's start at C$32'495 and Lancer Ralliart at C$31'798. Better competition for price towards an SI would be the Genesis 2.0T for C$24'899.

As opposed to a ZE Mx-3, costing what, $5000 and less nowadays, but you're also getting into a 15+ year old car that will need some TLC, and sadly the aftermarket is going away, but you're saving $20'000+
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

The 2006-2011 Honda Civics Si are actually stupidly competitive in GS and DSS in autocross...
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
mikeetown
antispam: No

Post by mikeetown »

Mooneggs wrote:mikee have you driven a ZE? :roll: I eat Civic SI's for lunch and that's with 180k on my ze :freak:
No not yet. When i'm done school I plan on getting a ZE and some DE retainers, KLG4 lifters and doing it right haha.

Nd4Speed said that it doesnt brake good, and that in a 1/4 mile, ZE is better. But i compared it on a windy a-- road and It doesnt matter if u have a ZE, DE, this newer car with this great technology in the right hands, is frikin aweosmely fast. I still like the analog feels of MX-3's though fora front wheel drive car. I also dont see the fun in 1/4 dragging. I used to have a 88 chevy with a done up 350 me and my dad built in 2005 that had 365 hp and a racing crank so it revved to 7,000 no prob which is retarded for a v8. Gas guzzling FI motor but all i had to do was punch it and shift and I just didnt care after a while.

I beat him today on westside road haha. My mx-3 is 1.8 yes, but its lowered 1" with KYB GR2's, Ei Bach springs, new sway bars and links, strut bars front and rear, new brakes, and syn oil which honestly I like knowing the oil is there for how hard i pushed the damn motor. OMG! any other motor would punish me after but not the K8 haha. I'm honestly just a better driver than him though + the road is all corners every 100m. Mx-3's train us well I think (and corolla gts's). Its retarded how good the computers and brakes in the new SI is. frik! i want twin piston brakes.
mikeetown
93 Black GS - J-spec KLDE, CLEAN CAR
92 Red GS - J-spec K8ZE, stripped interior - Written off
2004 Infinity G35 Track Edition - 6 speed manual
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=79142
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

mitmaks wrote:with 197hp/139tq @ 2954 lbs it's no match to klze mx-3
i think the brakes are a good match though.
mikeetown
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

I just bled my brakes and they feel better than any car, new or old, that I've driven recently.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mikeetown wrote:Nd4Speed said that it doesnt brake good
Here's the reference:
http://www.insideline.com/features/1998 ... ic-si.html

My Mx-3 with the PBR pads braked awesome. Had cross-drilled and slotted rotors, but not sure if that helped. Getting the cheapies at your local parts store will of course not brake that well. Given the age of the car, that's probably what most Mx-3's have on them.
mikeetown wrote:It doesnt matter if u have a ZE, DE, this newer car with this great technology in the right hands, is frikin aweosmely fast.
Absolutely, alot has changed in 20 years. But you weren't talking about the technology, you were saying that an SI would be faster than a ZE Mx-3, it's not, but of course new cars will have more potential; it's pretty much a given.
mikeetown wrote:Its retarded how good the computers and brakes in the new SI is. frik! i want twin piston brakes.
It's not really the computer, it's the engine. The manufacturers (Honda in thise case) actually limit the power through the computer because of how much potential the motor has. It''s not the computer that's doing it, but you can thank those that hacked the Honda ECM.

An Mx-3 doesn't need twin piston brakes, or a big brake kit. As long as you're braking system is working good, you've got some good lines, performance pads and rotors, maybe go to Dot4 and you're all set. It doesn't matter how many pistons you have, it's the pads and rotors that do the braking.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

@ Nd4speed
Regardless as to how good an MX-3 can get, newer cars just are better. Its the driver behind the wheel, and the mechanic (us) on the car that makes an mx-3 a good match to these cars.

What about this.
A bone stock mx-3 GS with regular factory regular brakes, suspension, 15" tires, but has a KLZE swapped into it which is also stock with a 2" exhaust that has exhaust manifold-catalytic convertor-resonator-stock muffler. Its the 200hp ZE too with the chipped OBD1 ECU to run the ZE at 200hp

vs

A brand new Civic SI with the K20 engine.

Which car would people find be faster on their nearest windy road that they know quit well?

I think in this scenario the honda will be on top. I only experienced this last week.

A fully modded mx-3 would win none the less with better brake pads, rotors, and coilovers coupled with a ZE thats running strong.
mikeetown
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

You're trying to compare an old car to a brand new car. There's too many variables to even start comparing them. You should compare a newer mazda vs honda.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
mikeetown

Post by mikeetown »

true. I'm just trying to prove that newer car vs older car point. But anyway. Doesnt matter really cause this is mx-3 forums not honda.
mikeetown
Sleeper6

Post by Sleeper6 »

This is too amusing for me. If you really want to experience an SI take it out on a cold winter morning before its been warmed up and welcome the joy of drive by wire with a computer that tells you what you can do. A stock k8 mx3 can beat them when their cold as the computer wont let them make full power let alone a de/ze swapped mx3. Thats the real beauty of our cars, they do what we tell them to do, we can mod them and most are old enough to fall through the prying eyes of legislation. Now go try and do that with a brand new skivic, floor it in the snow and watch the VSA go haywire and cut your throttle not to mention trying to get that killer tsx swap to pass emissions...

Ill take my 92, non-abs, manual box, cable controlled throttle any day over that.

Btw did I mention I work at a Honda too? :lol:
92 GS gold (driver) worklog> http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=73405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
93 GS red (wrecked)
:D I modify my ride so I can drive around the stupid people :D
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Sleeper6 wrote:This is too amusing for me. If you really want to experience an SI take it out on a cold winter morning before its been warmed up and welcome the joy of drive by wire with a computer that tells you what you can do. A stock k8 mx3 can beat them when their cold as the computer wont let them make full power let alone a de/ze swapped mx3. Thats the real beauty of our cars, they do what we tell them to do, we can mod them and most are old enough to fall through the prying eyes of legislation. Now go try and do that with a brand new skivic, floor it in the snow and watch the VSA go haywire and cut your throttle not to mention trying to get that killer tsx swap to pass emissions...

Ill take my 92, non-abs, manual box, cable controlled throttle any day over that.

Btw did I mention I work at a Honda too? :lol:

OR get a 02-04 RSX-S and romp on that.. no drive by wire. Better looking car anyways
BrandonM

Post by BrandonM »

its a civic...................enough said. Like come on here.
carizle

Post by carizle »

my philosophy has always been no matter how good any new "performance" car is just think of what you can do to a $1500 beater if you drop 20K in it instead of buying a new car.
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

98 Mustang Gt-convertible, bolt-ons and SCT race tune-Cams and 4.10 gears coming soon
SOLD-92 GS beater-280,000 miles and still goin strong-HEI mod
SOLD-91 Explorer XLT 4x4-never let me down, at least when I can afford to fill it up
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

mikeetown wrote:@ Nd4speed
Regardless as to how good an MX-3 can get, newer cars just are better.
I hope so, they have had 20 years to improve on that.

If you like the Civic SI so much and it being so much better than your Mx-3, why don't you sell your Mx-3 and get one?
Sleeper6 wrote:manual box
I could never do manual steering box.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

BrandonM wrote:its a civic...................enough said. Like come on here.
You got a lotttttt to learn

Return to “Off-Topic”