Stainless Steel Doorsills!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
_-Night-Shade-_

Re: Stainless Steel Doorsills!

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

MrMazda92 wrote:
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:1

@ pox: polls don't work at the moment.
Thinner = Likely Cheaper, is this your logic as well?

You're correct on the polls too, that's why I didn't waste my time.
My logic is that the stock ones work with no problems so why not just use that thickness? I still don't see how the SS ones are thinner, they look identical to the stock ones in all the pics I've seen of them.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by MrMazda92 »

_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:
MrMazda92 wrote:
_-Night-Shade-_ wrote:1

@ pox: polls don't work at the moment.
Thinner = Likely Cheaper, is this your logic as well?

You're correct on the polls too, that's why I didn't waste my time.
My logic is that the stock ones work with no problems so why not just use that thickness? I still don't see how the SS ones are thinner, they look identical to the stock ones in all the pics I've seen of them.
I guess that's true, but how do they hold up to genuine abuse? I'm not planning on abusing them, but I typically go a little beefier on things that might take some.

I think they're thinner b/c they can be. Metal can take harsher abuse than plastic typically, so it wouldn't need to be as thick.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
Ukrman

Post by Ukrman »

Don't want to be messing with the thickness of them. The stock thickness is just fine, I have some glue-on mazdaspeed door sills from ebay, and they are about 3-4mm on top of the stock plastic ones, and they slightly rub... Plus the reason why the SS one are "thinner" is to reduce weight and material used. The thickness is really the same, its just the inside is hollow that's why they look thinner. I think its some sort of plastic or rubber under the SS ones to fill in the hollow space.
92 Mazda MX3 GS

http://www.cardomain.com/id/ukrman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - cardomain page
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=66481 - worklog
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=72099 - feedback
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=71757 - stuff for sale
http://s2.metaldamage.com/c.php?uid=159229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - biggest waste of time

mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

as for customizing it... how about having the mx-3 cut out of the ss then have frosted lexan inset to the same height as the sill. that way people can put leds under to make them glow whatever colour they decide when the door is open. i saw these in a mustang i was in and ive always wanted to do it.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Oooooo good f'n idea! You can make them even better than the SS ones! :P
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

yeah im a genius...
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

I see your point on stock thickness, I'll keep that the same.

I love the customized look with the light effect, but I'm not sure if EVERYONE would like that.

Might be easier to just have the stock SS sills made, then we could work together to make a 'kit' for that project. Then it would reduce
cost for those more into the factory look.

Any ideas?
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

i doubt it would be that hard. if you didnt want to go threw the effort of putting in the lexan or leds you could just get some made with the mx-3 cut out rather then raised off the plate from the same batch. shouldnt cost any extra to get them cutout would it? then who ever wants it lit up could do the extra work themselves. or if you wanted to make a little extra cash you could do the lexan/leds yourself for an extra $20 a plate...

youd probably want to know how many people wanted the custom look or the stock look before you started on it so your not stuck with a bunch of plates no one wants (doubt thatd happen cuz everyone wants these).

the way youd do it is get some lexan the thickness of the plate, cut out the M then X and then the 3. then sand the bottoms of each letter/number. then put some tape (enough to cover the holes) on the top of the sill, flip it over then place the letters into the holes (should be made to fit snug). then you would want to glue a frosted lexan plate to the bottom of the letters/sill. then just attach some leds around the outsides of the laxan plate and wam it glows.

fyi it might be a good idea to cut a square the thickness of the lexan in the middle of the plate so it would sit flush with the door sill. not all the way threw the ss, just enough to hold the lexan and make the sill sit flush in the car.

it might even look cool to have those rectangles in the plate cutout to fill with lexan and glow aswell.
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Mike, I like your thoughts on the matter!

I've still got to set up a date to talk to guy who'd be making these for me; If you have any more ideas, I'm all ears.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
mikeinaus

Post by mikeinaus »

any updates on these

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”