Does anyone else have Gout?

Off-Topic Discussions
wytbishop

Re: Does anyone else have Gout?

Post by wytbishop »

You're right. Sucking it up as we speak.

Holy sh!t is it frustrating though.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Just so you know your in good company, here's a few others who shared your affliction.

Khubilai Khan, Nostradamus, John Milton, Queen Anne, Isaac Newton, Henry Fielding, Samuel Johnson, Charles V, Pablo Neruda, Alfred Lord Tennyson, George IV, John Hancock, Thomas Jefferson, Karl Marx, William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham, Benjamin Disraeli, Kirk Reuter, David Wells, Rubens, Lennart Torstenson, Peter Gomes, Alexander Hamilton, George Mason, Benjamin Franklin, David Klein.

Feel better now.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Do you take Alopurinol to lower your uric acid level? And whats the deal with Colchicine to stop the attachs? Does that not work for you?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I think Colchicine will be the next treatment option. It's kind of nasty for the um...digestion...if you know what I mean. If that doesn't calm it down we're onto steroids.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Jovian2k
Supporting Member

Post by Jovian2k »

Regarding acute gout attacks the first line medications are high dose NSAIDs (ex. indomethacin), colchicine, or oral steroids. After an attack, there are medications that can be good to prevent another from recurring... (if they are warranted is something you should discuss with your rheumatologist or primary care provider) two good ones are probenecid and allopurinol. In order to determine which is best they need to analyze your urine uric acid level. If you are not excreting excess uric acid and the amount in the urine is low, probenecid is the drug of choice since it blocks uric acid reabsorption in the kidney. If your urine shows that you are excreting adequate uric acid then probenecid will not be of help and allopurinol would be the drug of choice.
Certain things can increase uric acid and trigger gout attacks. Unfortunately red meat and alcohol are on the list. Aspirin, inadequate hydration, certain other meds can also lead to flares. Im a third year med student so let me know if you need any more help or advice, it will help me study!
1993 BlacknBronz RS BP-T/ MTX Swapped!
Worklog
For Sale Thread

Return to “Off-Topic”