Josh's AWD Worklog

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: Josh's AWD Worklog (finally)

Post by MrMazda92 »

1) How much weight does the AWD setup add? Approximately at least, doesn't need to be exact.

2) I'm a V6 man, but that engine is so clean I had to search around on my floor for my jaw.

3) Any chance I can get the exact dimensions of your stainless door sills? Is that a carbon fiber door sill? Looked like one, but that might be my eyes...

4) Welcome back. Good man, don't let the man keep you down!! Also, I hope you skinned the guy who ripped you off.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
bbunkerc397

Post by bbunkerc397 »

If I'm not mistaken that looks like a Mazda 929 rear diff with some sort of mod to the rear K-member. What transmission are you using?
1996 MX-3 KL-ZE with Eunos 800 IM, factory side skirts,. "Owner since 2001 my 14th year"
1992 929s 20B-REW Lowered, 17" chrome Millenia rims, custom black interior. "13th Owner 9th year"
2006 Chevy HHR LT "Bought Brand New - East Side Chevy" Sold to my Dad
AaronTietje

Post by AaronTietje »

More pics of this build would def. make my day. 8) This is a very Hi-Quality build---big thumbs up. 8)
We all want to be fast and look cool. Cool changes but fast never does.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

its actually the rear end from a 91' AWD Protege, the trans is from a GTR. i will eventually get a forged gear set for it but for now it will be ok.

so i decidecd to to with a 16G Subi turbo, i will upgrade to the 20G later on next year, mainly they are cheep, they make alot of power, they are inturnaly waistgated, and they are both oil and water cooled. all i need to do is fab it up and mount it, fab up my exhaust wich is full 3" SS and doing a seperate 1.75" waistgate run on the Down Pipe, install my stand alone, and get my BP intake flange welded to my aluminium intake mani and she will be on the road once again. check back in January for updates, as i should have it driving and tuned by then. Hopefully i can cut back the fuel enough on the 750cc injectors i have for my little Turbo... it should be good for about 350ish WHP we will have to see.

Thanks for checking in
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Josh wrote:so i decidecd to to with a 16G Subi turbo, i will upgrade to the 20G later on next year, mainly they are cheep, they make alot of power, they are internally wastegated, and they are both oil and water cooled. all i need to do is fab it up and mount it, fab up my exhaust which is full 3" SS and doing a seperate 1.75" wastegate run on the Down Pipe, install my stand alone, and get my BP intake flange welded to my aluminum intake mani and she will be on the road once again. check back in January for updates, as i should have it driving and tuned by then. Hopefully i can cut back the fuel enough on the 750cc injectors i have for my little Turbo... it should be good for about 350ish WHP we will have to see.
;)
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mx3_aruba

Post by mx3_aruba »

hi buddy..

do you have another worklog that has the AWD Conversion part better described?..

i have a somewhat similar plan for my GS, and seeing you put a diff in the back, cought my attention immediatly..

tnx
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Man impressive, what more can I say. AWD is definitely bigger then a ZE mod and a hell of a lot more challenging. No probs with traction now eh. :D So are you rotary or fixed wing trained?
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

Daninski wrote:Man impressive, what more can I say. AWD is definitely bigger then a ZE mod and a hell of a lot more challenging. No probs with traction now eh. :D So are you rotary or fixed wing trained?
Rotary trained. I think its the way to go.

I will get some more pics up real soon, im remounting the rear diff, and re running the driveshaft so i can fit a full 3" exhaust. Lots to do on it, I have decided to pull the motor and re-fab my motor mounts front and rear as well as pollyfill everything. I should just solid mount it. :) I finished my Turbo mani and have to get a spooler to finish my intake mani. i should just go back to the GTR mani still undecided.
carizle
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by carizle »

nice job josh i'd just like to see some more info on what kind of fabrication might have been necessary to fit the rear end. oh and i'm starting to get the urge to ditch my gs for a four banger so i can bp-t it some day
If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

98 Mustang Gt-convertible, bolt-ons and SCT race tune-Cams and 4.10 gears coming soon
SOLD-92 GS beater-280,000 miles and still goin strong-HEI mod
SOLD-91 Explorer XLT 4x4-never let me down, at least when I can afford to fill it up
wheelhop

Post by wheelhop »

That's it! I4s boosted are just too much fun!!!

Drag spoiler all the way. No two spoilers on the same azz end. That is just . . . well. . . I'll say it. . . rice.

Nice to see someone wanting to do an awd setup with this platform. I come from T/E/Ls and I can 'tell' you, if my tranny holds, it's like cheating.
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

wheelhop wrote:That's it! I4s boosted are just too much fun!!!

Drag spoiler all the way. No two spoilers on the same azz end. That is just . . . well. . . I'll say it. . . rice.

Nice to see someone wanting to do an awd setup with this platform. I come from T/E/Ls and I can 'tell' you, if my tranny holds, it's like cheating.
I really like the drag spoiler to, just the MS spoiler is just sweet due to its MazdaSpeed, and i like the lip, it accents it. But I think im going to do two hatches. One for everyday and the other for the track. and im thinking instead of glass im going to run just the louver hatch. Weird i know but i really what to see it.

I will do a full write up on the AWD swap later on this spring. Im redoing the entire thing as i did it kinda half a$$ed IMO. its got to be showable and look OEM. i have to raise the rear strut perches so i can get more travle in my struts and im going to a 2 piece drive shaft instead of the 3 piece i was using out of the Protege. Its comming along well, im hopwing to be done in the next couple of months.
Josh
Supporting Member

Josh's AWD Worklog update 6/7/11

Post by Josh »

Here is how i moded the rear frame rails. I drilled out the spot welds on the Protege rails and channeled them, then spot welded them to the MX3 rails. It was quick and half a-- way of doing it. I am now fabing up custom rails mounting the rear end into the chassis higher by about 3".
Image Image
couple of updates: New suspension is almost done, have to finish the fronts now
Image Image Image

Here is what the intake mani looks like, have to weld the BP flange to it, and its done!

Yes, its a Egay SS turbo mani that I rewelded with a subi flange with a 16G. This is what i have been up to as of late. I have most of the piping done for the DP just one more piece to cut and then to add the Waist Gate piping. I was going to tie it into the 3" DP but almost thinking i should just do a dump... hmm

Image Image Image

just a engine cradle pic, if you look you can see my rear motor mount that I made out of a trailing arm
Josh
Supporting Member

Re: Josh's AWD Worklog updated 6/27/11

Post by Josh »

some more pics of the suspension set up after paint and installed..
Image Image Image

Turbo Downpipe mostly completed. Have to finish it off with a separate 2" waistgate pipe running along side.

If i didn't have the center diff for the AWD it would have been a bit easier, but it is snugged in tightly, as it has to because of the driveline running down the tunnel. I should widen it, but... I don't really want to. :)
Vecia

Re: Josh's AWD Worklog updated 6/27/11 more pic's added

Post by Vecia »

This car is amazing. Nice work, man.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”