MX-3 Hatch won't stay open, any ideas?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
umcamara
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: MX-3 Hatch won't stay open, any ideas?

Post by umcamara »

Yeah... I guess if the hinges were spring-loaded that would be an issue. But it doesn't really make sense for them to be. That's literally the only possible thing that I can think of, other than the fact that the struts aren't new. That's what makes this guy so frustrating, is he doesn't want to hear the answer.

I tried to make peace with him a few posts up, but apparantly he was not interested in that. :shrug:
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I have a similar issue with my hatch.. nothing tragic.. but mine is related to the angle with which my car is parked. Odd I know.. but if the car is even slightly uphill (nose first) The hatch will not stay up without multiple attempts.. almost like working out on a benchpress.. finally they will stay up. Also.. my hatch cover is not a factory one and it is a bit heavier than the original. Without the hatchcover attached.. it will stay up most of the time. I saw that you were going to order one from Evilyeti.. have you gotten that in yet? Mine seems to have more issues when it is cold out than when it is warm. I have replaced my hatch with new ones and still find that they are a bit weak. My hatch hasnt broken my skull yet.. but the car has taken more blood, sweat and tears in other ways.. so its probably just trying to be nice with the hatch ;)

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

My old hatch was moody. It was hard to push it UP (like pushing against the strut), and it fell down slowly :P Like someone made my struts backwards.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Tunes everything makes sense, they're not completely upright with the hatch fully open and car on even pavement, so that slight uphill position would make them completely upright which means more force due to gravity. And yeah colder temperature = gas is more compressed thus not pushing as much.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

umcamara wrote:Yeah... I guess if the hinges were spring-loaded that would be an issue. But it doesn't really make sense for them to be. That's literally the only possible thing that I can think of, other than the fact that the struts aren't new. That's what makes this guy so frustrating, is he doesn't want to hear the answer.

I tried to make peace with him a few posts up, but apparantly he was not interested in that. :shrug:
Was this before, or after you said I should shove them up my a--?

You asked me repeatedly if I had tested the struts, and if the hatch on the junker was stripped... you didn't read my original post or you wouldn't have asked. :/

Sorry if suggesting you read the problem before you reply to it pissed you off buddy. I am not used to walking on eggshells on the internet. ;)

As for everyone else, thank you for your input!! You gave me some new ideas to try.

The car is parked on level ground, so I don't think that part is a contributing factor sadly.

I'll try a few more things before I bite the bullet and buy new ones.

Hopefully I won't have to, but if I do... hopefully it works out for the best.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

umcamara wrote:
MrMazda92 wrote:
umcamara wrote:I think what you may have done is installed the struts up your a-- instead. Could be why your hatch won't stay open. Just sayin...

That should raise my post count...

You sir are a waste of time.
I see 5 years of engineering school did nothing to temper a sarcastic and otherwise unimpressive attitude.

Didn't daddy teach you any respect? Lord knows someone should have.
Buddy. You just joined this forum, and you already think you're running it. Just cool it with the attitude. We're all just trying to help you, otherwise we wouldn't have wasted our time posting. I think you've gotten some great all-around advice, and hopefully you can solve your problem.

I have to say though, that after wasting time trying to figure out ghost problems that don't exist, you'll come to your senses and put out the little bit of cash for some new struts. I'm a broke student too, I know how it is. But it IS pretty unsafe going into the hatch without working struts. I've had one fall on my back, and it does NOT feel good.

Good luck.

OOOOH, was this the "peace" you offered? Heh, anyone able to filter any "peace" out of the constant animosity? I wasn't either.

You made a good point about it falling, but I already knew that. You need to stop insulting people just because they don't agree with you. I won't reply to your insults again... so if you feel the need to puff up your chest, go for it. I won't dignify it with another answer.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

I have no clue what on earth you're going on about. You clearly didn't read MY posts, as I never asked you whether you tested the struts. Get your head outta your a--. I'm done with you.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

WTF?
You are not making any friends here. When you piss off one of our highly respected members, you piss off anyone they helped. Please try to take the advise you were given. I don't know how you can go through school for 5 years and fail to understand how a strut works.
Dali
Supporting Member

Post by Dali »

plain and simple....get new struts, they are the only thing holding the hatch up period. only other thing besides being worn out could be the wrong length which would mean they were ment for a different application. dont waste time trying to figure out why they are not working, they fail and are not repairable.
1993 White gs klze.
PilotSmack89

Post by PilotSmack89 »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:WTF?
You are not making any friends here. When you piss off one of our highly respected members, you piss off anyone they helped. Please try to take the advise you were given. I don't know how you can go through school for 5 years and fail to understand how a strut works.
+1 for RS. Good call, mate!
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Happy New Year!

THREAD JACK FTMFW!!!
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
PoisonDrop

Post by PoisonDrop »

93vtecklr wrote:THREAD JACK FTMFW!!!
LOL!
93 MX-3 BP - Worklog
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Dali wrote:plain and simple....get new struts, they are the only thing holding the hatch up period. only other thing besides being worn out could be the wrong length which would mean they were ment for a different application. dont waste time trying to figure out why they are not working, they fail and are not repairable.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

RS_OBD'oh_2 wrote:WTF?
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

umcamara wrote: You've failed to give him the answer he's looking for. Please read his first post before posting. :wink:
Essentially the same advice that I gave him in the other thread he created of the same subject, and he decided that I'm not worthy of this forum...
Exactly, I'm just saying the same thing because that's all to be said and to also agree with your post since he doesn't seem to believe you.

As well:
umcamara wrote:
Dali wrote:plain and simple....get new struts, they are the only thing holding the hatch up period. only other thing besides being worn out could be the wrong length which would mean they were ment for a different application. dont waste time trying to figure out why they are not working, they fail and are not repairable.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”