MX-3 Hatch won't stay open, any ideas?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
MrMazda92
Supporting Member
antispam: No

MX-3 Hatch won't stay open, any ideas?

Post by MrMazda92 »

READ WHOLE THREAD BEFORE REPLYING PLEASE

My 1992 GS has had a problem since I first got it, the hatch would not stay open.

Obvious fix right? Buy new/used struts and swap them out.

Not quite...

I went to a wrecking yard, picked the most recent GS that had been brought in, and verified that the hatch was complete and weighted typically.

I opened/closed the hatch repeatedly, and was happy to find it not only held itself open... it lifted up the last bit on it's own. Good struts? I think so.

I paid $15 for the pair, after I pulled them myself.

After switching mine out for the "new" ones, my hatch still fell closed. Not even close... it didn't even slow it down.

I'm reposting this thread because people seemed to be unable to read the entire post before replying with advice.

I'm posting this here because I need help, so I'd appreciate actual help. If you post "buy new ones" and have no advice that might be semi-useful... then I will just ignore you, as you are only here to raise your post count.

To those people who actually gave advice and asked legitimate questions, thank you. I have nothing against you and appreciate the sincere effort.

I'll probably end up buying new struts eventually, but I'd like to find out why these ones failed for whatever reason.

Thanks!
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
Deleted: VAF/Power Steering/Air Conditioning/EGR/ABS/Auto Seatbelts/etc
umcamara
Supporting Member

Re: MX-3 Hatch won't stay open, any ideas?

Post by umcamara »

I think what you may have done is installed the struts up your a-- instead. Could be why your hatch won't stay open. Just sayin...

That should raise my post count...

You sir are a waste of time.
'96 Silver Stone Metallic MTX RS
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

I would try and put something like wd40 or some type of oil/lubricant and move them up and down and see if it would seal up for a moment. It might help.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

umcamara wrote:I think what you may have done is installed the struts up your a-- instead. Could be why your hatch won't stay open. Just sayin...

I see 5 years of engineering school did nothing to temper a sarcastic and otherwise unimpressive attitude.

Didn't daddy teach you any respect? Lord knows someone should have.
Daily:
'12 Challenger R/T + STP - 3.92 w/ LSD, JG Cam, headers, SkipShift delete, Clutch Delay Valve delete, Hurst STS, RAM Clutch Adjuster, StopTech 6 Piston Brakes, Sticky Nittos, 435 WHP

Kid Hauler:
'08 Suburban LT 4WD - TVS 1900 Blower, LF SC Cam, headers, AFM delete, true 5" lift, 33x12s, 523 WHP

First Love:
'92 GS 5 spd - Straightneck KL/67mm TB, MegaSquirt/Coilpacks, 5 lugs/Speed6 brakes/FD wheels, wiretuck, coilovers, headers, AEM WB, Borla
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

mitmaks wrote:I would try and put something like wd40 or some type of oil/lubricant and move them up and down and see if it would seal up for a moment. It might help.
Not a bad idea, I tried it on the original struts, but not the junkers. I'll try it when I get home. Thank you.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

MrMazda92 wrote:
umcamara wrote:I think what you may have done is installed the struts up your a-- instead. Could be why your hatch won't stay open. Just sayin...

I see 5 years of engineering school did nothing to temper a sarcastic and otherwise unimpressive attitude.

Didn't daddy teach you any respect? Lord knows someone should have.
Buddy. You just joined this forum, and you already think you're running it. Just cool it with the attitude. We're all just trying to help you, otherwise we wouldn't have wasted our time posting. I think you've gotten some great all-around advice, and hopefully you can solve your problem.

I have to say though, that after wasting time trying to figure out ghost problems that don't exist, you'll come to your senses and put out the little bit of cash for some new struts. I'm a broke student too, I know how it is. But it IS pretty unsafe going into the hatch without working struts. I've had one fall on my back, and it does NOT feel good.

Good luck.
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I've had the pointy corner make a new hole in my head, complete with blood and several minutes of 4 letter words, with suffixes and adjectives.

I fail to understand how working -> not working.

Do they seem to operate normally, as in, they slide in and out like usual? If you take it off, can you compress them by hand? Did you hook them up properly?

Any more information? Maybe they simply died on the uninstall/install.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

umcamara wrote: Buddy. You just joined this forum, and you already think you're running it. Just cool it with the attitude. We're all just trying to help you, otherwise we wouldn't have wasted our time posting. I think you've gotten some great all-around advice, and hopefully you can solve your problem.

I have to say though, that after wasting time trying to figure out ghost problems that don't exist, you'll come to your senses and put out the little bit of cash for some new struts. I'm a broke student too, I know how it is. But it IS pretty unsafe going into the hatch without working struts. I've had one fall on my back, and it does NOT feel good.

Good luck.
Did I ever say anything along those lines? No. However I clearly stated what I had and had not tried in my earlier posts... you neglected to read them, and gave me "advice" that was more insult than help. I did not have a problem with anyone else, now did I?

I can only alter my own posts... so I suggest you read yours on the other thread. I came on here for assistance, not to pick fights with people I have never, nor ever will meet. Maybe you can respect that sentiment, even if you can't respect me as a person. Also, it's not a "ghost problem" if something happens and I want to determine the cause. If you replaced everything that went bad on your own car, would you ever learn to fix/prevent a problem in future? I doubt it. Please don't get too upset this post, as I simply stated my opinion.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
MrMazda92
Supporting Member

Post by MrMazda92 »

Ryan wrote:I've had the pointy corner make a new hole in my head, complete with blood and several minutes of 4 letter words, with suffixes and adjectives.

I fail to understand how working -> not working.

Do they seem to operate normally, as in, they slide in and out like usual? If you take it off, can you compress them by hand? Did you hook them up properly?

Any more information? Maybe they simply died on the uninstall/install.
Hah, I did that before I test drove the car. The guy I bought it from thought it was hilarious. ;)

They compress with the same tension as they did when I pulled them off of the other GS, but require alot more pressure than my old ones did. Still, it is not enough... I hooked them up just as I removed them, which I believe to be correct.

I have a thought, but I lack the experience to know if it is right or not... so here goes.

When you remove the struts, and let them "relax" all the way out, will that cause a loss in pressure over time? I left them as such for 2 days before re-installing them in my own car. Perhaps I should have kept them compressed somehow? I don't know. That is the only thing I imagine could be the cause, however I do not know the likelihood of that being the problem.

Thanks again Ryan, you've helped alot.
Daily:

Kid Hauler:

First Love:
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Wow, I cannot believe you trash one of the best people we have here.

There are only 2 things holding the hatch. Struts... your hatch is spring loaded or the ones you took the struts off had crap hindges. Get new struts. This is too simple to post about. Check Rockauto or ebay. They should be cheap and that can be the only issue - aside from basic people skills. Good luck.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$14 ea plus ship. I'd do it. My buddy with a probe got new ones... I'm still letting the POS fall on my head/prop it open with a snow brush.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

Can you compress them by hand or not?
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

The problem with the struts is that as they get old and worn, they don't want to hold up the weight of the hatch. Getting used one means they're just that, used. Now, it could be quite possible and that you are on to something about having them fully extended, but I did that on mine a few months tho, and reattatched them a few days later and they still held.

When buying used, you can get what you paid for. In the end, the only fix is either new struts, your forehead, or a snow brush.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
umcamara
Supporting Member

Post by umcamara »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:The problem with the struts is that as they get old and worn, they don't want to hold up the weight of the hatch. Getting used one means they're just that, used. Now, it could be quite possible and that you are on to something about having them fully extended, but I did that on mine a few months tho, and reattatched them a few days later and they still held.

When buying used, you can get what you paid for. In the end, the only fix is either new struts, your forehead, or a snow brush.
You've failed to give him the answer he's looking for. Please read his first post before posting. :wink:
Essentially the same advice that I gave him in the other thread he created of the same subject, and he decided that I'm not worthy of this forum...
'98 BMW 328is M-Tech

Feedback Thread
PilotSmack89

Post by PilotSmack89 »

Lol this thread made me laugh, so kudos to those involved in the s--t throwing haha :P

If the struts are "new", it prolly isn't them. How is the weight of your hatch? Cuz mine will close it i put my gloves on top, but remain extended otherwise. Other thing I can think of is that the hinges are crap, possibly spring loaded?

Good Luck.
-Blaze Red 92 MX-3 RS w/ Brembo rotors, Infinity Kappas 62.9i

"MA! THE MEATLOAF!!"

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”