KL ECU is frying! (Solved)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Red Rocket

Re: KL ECU is frying!

Post by Red Rocket »

I believe its the center pin and the one to the left(if looking at it one face on) that need to be changed, I have a disty off a probe that you can have if you cover shipping, I bought it off another member here but couldnt figure the pinout,lol, or was to afraid to cut wires and have the problems ur having, if you want it let me know good luck
[*url=http:cardomain.com/ride/2632839]My Cardomain Page[/url*]
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I've been away from this issue for a while since work has taken my time away. However, I have been able to resolder some transistors/resistors in place and re-test. After cross-checking the 3-wire plugs on both the MX-3 and Probe GT disty's, I've realized that it has to be the ECU pinout.

When doing the V6 1.8L to 2.5L DE swap, has everyone pretty much swapped over the DE harness as well? Or has anyone used their K8 harness at all?

I'm just curious...

Also, I've located both the ECU pinout diagram for the K8 MX-3 and KL (93 PGT). I will compare them to see what the problem is. This muct be the issue because it seems like regardless of where I plug the IGN+ wire into for the disty, it burns in the same location. Basically, that particular circuit is not meant to have such a load.

The plus side is that I have plenty of spare resistors, capacitors and transistors to use if they burn up. Nothing else on the ecu seems to have been affected.

I dont want this to be a dead-end thread. Once I have a solution, I will post it up so as to help someone on here that may encounter the same issue.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Your disty, wire harness and ECU have to match if not you'll have issues. 92-93 is the same. 94 is a seperate animal, 95-96 have the 3 pin plug reversed for sure. So for example, if I was using a 94 wiring harness I'd also use a 94 disty and ECU.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

If I went back to my 94 disty (TOT57171) with my 94 harness (currently in use), would the 93-94 PGT ECU (KL07 I believe) be compatible or would I need to have the KL07 ECU with the PGT harness, and 93 PGT Disty?

My error with the wiring definitely deals with the wiring schematics so I suspected that I might have to get a 93 MTX PGT engine harness.

Either that or I trace wires for a day and re-route wires to where they need to go.

My current setup is:
93-94 PGT Disty
94 MX3 engine harness
93-94 MTX PGT ECU (KL07)

Based on what you're saying, the problem lies within my harness (a wiring issue), not just the configuration of the 3-pin plug on the disty.

Obviously, there wouldn't be any issues with a KL07 ECU, PGT harness, and 93-94 Disty because the engine would basically run as if it was still in a probe. Everything would be managed the same.
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Although neither is easy, I would say that swapping the engine harness would be less work and less frustrating than tracing and rewiring the MX-3 harness.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

I've got a 92 with a KL36 ECU. They must have used the old distributor cause I've never had problems.
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

You have a ZE tho. Also, are you using the K8 harness and Disty?
SpatialTerror
antispam: No

Post by SpatialTerror »

the reason your not getting spark is because you need the dist off the k8. you can run either the ecu for the de or for the k8 im not sure which one works better with that motor. my k8 ecu is working better on the ze then the ecu for the ze. and your dist circutry is a little different on the de dist than the k8 dist thats why your frying your ecu.
93 GS-R with crank pulley racing clutch and flywheel, magnaflow cat back exhaust, short ram air, 12" rockford fosgate p2 subs, on a amp 500rms, jvc touch screen deck.work log --->http://mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=75217
92 RS with lowering springs, and body kit.
SpatialTerror
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Just spent a couple hours reviewing the pinout diagram for the K8 ECU and compared it to that of the 93 and 94 ECU.

The consensus is that they are exactly the same!

So, I dont have to swap the harness, which is a good sign, but that leaves one of two things:
1) There is something in the distributor that is not wired correctly (just mentioned above)
2) There is a short somewhere in the wiring to the disty that's sending a stronger current back to the ECU.

With regard to question 1, I have tried various combinations of the 3-pin plug on the disty, each of which seem to lead to the same conclusion--- Burn.

It's easy enough to suggest going back to the K8 disty, except I need the 94 specific one (TOT57171) which no one seems to have just laying around and $300 for a newer one is a bit pricey for me at this point. That's where my dilemma remains. What I might try and do is post up the one I have for sale to help off set the cost of a newer one.

I think I'll take that road for now and see where it takes me. Also, if anyone has the disty I need, and are willing to part with it, please PM me.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

Update 2-28-10:

Took out 93 disty from PGT and sold it. Picked up the TOT57171 Distibutor and reinstalled it (with original wire configuration).

Then I desoldered the burnt resistors and two transistors in the KL07 ECU and resoldered in some new ones.

Plugged the ECU back in, hooked up the battery, turned the key.......

...... IT STARTS!!!!!!!

Original problem was using the PGT Disty. Since I switched back to the 94-specific disty, it starts like a charm!

Thanks for everyone's input and help.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Daninski wrote:Your disty, wire harness and ECU have to match if not you'll have issues. 92-93 is the same. 94 is a seperate animal, 95-96 have the 3 pin plug reversed for sure. So for example, if I was using a 94 wiring harness I'd also use a 94 disty and ECU.
Your welcome
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

mazdags94 wrote:Thanks for everyone's input and help.
:wink: :)

In lieu of the Olympic season, Daninski gets the gold medal, lol. Thank you sir
Nd4SpdSe

Re: KL ECU is frying! (Solved)

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

No doubt, he's Canadian :lol:
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”