my engine wont start now updated!!!!!!!!!!!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jon_young

Re: my engine wont start now

Post by jon_young »

rite i no i have fuel, and spark, timeing need to check again just so its eliminated,

i pluged in to the diagnostics port with a bit if wire and a led and got 5 short flashes!! which workes out to be the knock sensor! as it checks for pre-ignition, so if thats not reading that everythings ok it wont run, or will it run with a buggered knock sensor?????
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I think it should run with a knock sensor code, it'll just run in "safe mode", a la super retarded.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Troubleshooting the knock sensor code is very straight forward. Does it have a good connection? Does it have continuity to the ECM? Try a known good knock sensor.

As I said I don't think the knock sensor can prevent ignition. If it didn't work, or didn't work properly it would just not do it's job...which is to tell the ECU to retard timing. I still think that the timing is the best bet.

Do you have a known good ECU that you could toss in there? Just a shot in the dark.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
jon_young

Post by jon_young »

i had a gd ecu running it, tried 2 others and get the same from it, if not check the timein with a extension bar in number 1 and see where it is on the dizzy cap correct what if that all gd where should i be looking
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If that doesn't uncover anything I would go to the manual and start troubleshooting according to the guide.

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... F2-018.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check the fuel pressure. it may be low so your mixture is so lean it won't ignite. I would start thinking like that. It's probably something simple...when you find it you'll kick yourself.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
trick69

Post by trick69 »

Alright you still have a buggered knock sensor you need to get that fixed or it will run like a dog. pull your plugs after you crank the motor a few times. How wet are they? crank the motor with the plugs out. Does it smell like gas? put a piece of paper on the valve cover if you don't have any help. It should be pretty wet! Once again what colour are the plugs VERY IMPORTANT(Before o2 sensors we used to read plugs) I still read plugs on carbed cars and trucks.
jon_young

Post by jon_young »

wellat the mo when its cranked a couple of times they are wet well covered in fuel!
trick69

Post by trick69 »

ok then! try a new set of plugs or torch the ends of the ones you take out. you have insufficient spark or a vaccum leak. fuel compression and spark= ignition, sounds like your fouling plugs. Is the firing order correct? So I'm willing to bet your plugs are black? they should be amber or off white! if their black you were probably running rich before. and this is just coincidental.
jon_young

Post by jon_young »

ye they are black!!!! will have to get new set, it was running rich adjusting the idel was next on the list but wont start at the mo.

should have the knock sensor either to mo or weds,see what happens then,
trick69

Post by trick69 »

check the resistance on the coolant sensor! (EFI=no choke) thermal sensor tells the computer, engine is cold and the computer compensates by narrowing the pulse width of your injectors. (to much fuel) very important sensor always over looked.
jon_young

Post by jon_young »

yeah i no what that sensor is like had one on my rover that went and that wouldnt let the car start,

i will check these 2 things in a bit, then its a case of waiting for the knock sensor, as its all striped down atm
jon_young

Post by jon_young »

rite guys went to the motor to day i put number one at TDC and removed dizzy cap the rotor in their lined up with number one!!!
gonna try n check the cam belt to mo, bit hard to get to all the bolts but untill i get the knock sensor i cant try to start it
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Well it seems like you have all the ingredients for ignition. I think you're down to chasing sensors.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
jon_young

Post by jon_young »

well i just hope its the knock sensor i no what u lot are saying it will run limp,
i have checked the water temp sensor that all seams ok, need to check the air flow,

one thing when i striped it down to the sensor took it out had a look then put it all back together and went start it it went to fire!! but obvs the code came back and stoped it if not gonna get it in a garage to have a looksy,

just had a close look at the knock sensor an the black sealer has started to come put of it and the resister was not even attached to anything one end
jon_young

Re: my engine wont start now updated!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by jon_young »

new knock sensor in and it runs,,

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”