[GI] Adjustable Cam Pulleys for K series/V6 engines

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
marcdh

Re: [GI] Adjustable Cam Pulleys for K series/V6 engines

Post by marcdh »

Woohoo :) Nearly reaching that magic number.

Mr MX6 you are too kind ;) Hopefully it wont come to that.

First post updated, we now have 24 month warranty! I've also added a status to keep you all updated and a provisional interested list.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

try and make sure there is a lip machned into the just like oem... otherwise the belt can 'wander' off the pulley cause some problems
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Let me do some research. I really can't afford these at the moment, but I might need them...
Last edited by tehbrookzorz on January 25th, 2009, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

fieromx3 wrote:try and make sure there is a lip machned into the just like oem... otherwise the belt can 'wander' off the pulley cause some problems
Good idea!
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
fieromx3 wrote:try and make sure there is a lip machned into the just like oem... otherwise the belt can 'wander' off the pulley cause some problems
Good idea!
x3! I'm not sure whether CDF have realised from the pictures of our OEM pulleys I've sent that the lip must be included. I will clarify this with them, hope it doesn't affect costing. I'll be sending a set of OEMs this week for measurements :)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
View Worklog
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

hopefully they will be perfectly round to!! the stocker are not.. when they are spinning they are so wobbly it looks like there gunna fly apart lol this is also why the hydralic tensioners fail so quickly. perfect circle will pro-long the life of the tensioner and make for a smoother running engine hopefully as the balance wont be out of whack

also need gthe timing marks lol
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

fieromx3 wrote:hopefully they will be perfectly round to!! the stocker are not.. when they are spinning they are so wobbly it looks like there gunna fly apart lol this is also why the hydralic tensioners fail so quickly. perfect circle will pro-long the life of the tensioner and make for a smoother running engine hopefully as the balance wont be out of whack
also need gthe timing marks lol
They better be prefectly round! They are warrantied, so I don't think they'll want to give us a reason to bother them ;) Timing marks will be included :)

Now I need to run this past you guys. This image shows the KLZE pulley on the left, the k8 on the right. I then flipped them over. I have noticed the K8s are reversable, whereas the KL has a flat face on the other side, yet it actually has the timing mark like the k8! Blue represents commonality, red depicts a difference. What are everyones thoughts on which should be sent off as the guide:
A) k8 pulley which is reversable so can be used on either head
B) both KLZE pulleys which are one sided and therefore unique

I'm not sure if the adjustables could be manufactured to be reversable at this stage.
View Worklog
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

dont worry bout reversability, if ur too dumb and dont know what side is what u shudnt even be fooling around with these lol lets just get these made and sold!!! im to anxious!!
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

fieromx3 wrote:dont worry bout reversability, if ur too dumb and dont know what side is what u shudnt even be fooling around with these lol lets just get these made and sold!!! im to anxious!!
:lol: designing for the dumb was not my intention! I was thinking having 20x of the same reversable pulley might be cheaper than having 10x of left head and 10x of right head. I also wanted to check no-one knew any advantage between the two designs. As it stands I only have one KL and one reversable K8 available to be sent off atm. I am currently negotiating purchase a second set of KL style cam gears but they will take 1 week to get here. So if we are to base the design upon the KLs we have to wait, whereas the k8 is the same as the other k8 and can be sent now. The ideal may be to send off both types- 2 KLs and the K8 reversable and let the experts decide.
View Worklog
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Unless the cogs line up perfectly with (for lack of better term) Top Dead Center, on both, it would not time properly, if reversible. Also, the number of cogs would affect it, I think. I don't know how you'd check that.
I hope this makes sense.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Well on initial inspection the reversable gear appears to match up perfectly. In the photo the KL is from the rear head and the k8 is from the front head, and you can see clearly that they look identical for timing :o The k8 even has the L and R on each side to show that they really are interchangeable. I'll look up my EPC tonight and see how the part #s differ.
View Worklog
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

Count me in too. I can put these on while I change out my timing belt and other pulleys
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Great :D You shall be added to the list!
View Worklog
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

so itst he 29th... are u going to get a quote for the 9 technically 8 ppl interested in this buy??? when is this to be expected to be sold??
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

I have a pair of OEM KL pulleys hopefully on their way to me this Monday, this is so I can send a complete pair of KLs and a k8 to CDF Racing and let them decide.

You should be happy to hear I have decided that now we are nearing to ten I will take the hit and have 10 sets made and the excess sets will be paid for by me. Therefore I'll probably have 3/4 sets at the end of this. Rest assured that I need these ASAP as my tensioner is dying, and I'm waiting for these to be made before changing it!

I want these now but realistically:
KL pulley set being sent from US to UK - 5 days
KL and K8 pulleys sent to CDF - 1/2 days
Measurement/Design manufacture - 1-2 weeks?
Annodising - 1 day
Shipment to me - 1/2 days
Shipment to you - 5 days

So you can see this could easily take us to the end of February. I will move this along as fast as possible, but not at the sacrafice of getting us the best we can get. If it was just a 'one off' set for me I would have sent the reversible k8 away and took the chance, but now I have 2k at risk I can't take chances, hope you understand :)
View Worklog

Return to “New Product Development”