Suspension for mx-3???

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
MazdaRider

Re: Suspension for mx-3???

Post by MazdaRider »

watch out
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

if you are going to make this a full on track car then you should go with some sort of coilover setup. my h&r springs are great for driving daily and they handle awesome on public roads. i have not put it on a track yet so....????

cant we make mx6 k-sport coilovers work with mx3's?
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I just had Whisper drive my car to evaluate my setup for racing, because he also had H&R springs, before going with AST coilovers, and he races. My struts aren't as hard as Tokicos, so he says mine is very good for track & autocross.
So my recommendation is: If you have $2,000 for struts/ springs, get the ASTs. If not, go with H&R springs with a strut that isn't as harsh as the Tokicos, and get a higher spring rate for the rear. Also, get a whiteline 22mm rear sway bar, and Wybishop's end links (at east for the rear). When I moved my battery to the passengers side rear corner, it helped balance the car.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

fowljesse wrote:If you have $2,000 for struts/ springs, get the ASTs. If not, go with H&R springs with a strut that isn't as harsh as the Tokicos
Why get something not as harsh for the struts? I'm running H&R's with Koni Reds
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

On the tracks (especially less than perfect ones) you need some "give", especially in corners, so your tires stay planted, and not chatter if there are any bumps... and there are.
If you've ever watched RC car racing, you see that they chatter, and bounce in the corners, because of the stiff suspension.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Rachelle

Post by Rachelle »

ya I was at Cayuga on the weekend and I saw a civic on the track get right off the ground, and I dont want that!!

I think Im going to look into the ASTs, Thanks for the help
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
1993 Mazda MX-3
Like us on facebook at
http://www.facebook.com/davewoodmazdapage
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Please make a worklog!
I'm a worklog junkie :oops:
I need it.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
fowljesse wrote:If you have $2,000 for struts/ springs, get the ASTs. If not, go with H&R springs with a strut that isn't as harsh as the Tokicos
Why get something not as harsh for the struts? I'm running H&R's with Koni Reds
I think Koni Reds aren't as stiff as Tokicos. ZX2 struts are probably a good option, as well.

From what I learned, when you have a very stiff spring with a very stiff strut, they kind of fight each other. Stiff spring wants to compress and return at a higher rate, but the stiff strut says no. So the wheel doesn't absorb the bumps as effectively and skips a bit, thus causing less than optimal traction.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Rachelle wrote:ya I was at Cayuga on the weekend
Hey a southern Ontario girl :)
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Rachelle

Post by Rachelle »

Daninski wrote:Hey a southern Ontario girl :)
lol, ya I always forget this forum is all over the world instead of just Toronto!!
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
1993 Mazda MX-3
Like us on facebook at
MazdaRider

Post by MazdaRider »

that is true
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Rachelle wrote:
Daninski wrote:Hey a southern Ontario girl :)
lol, ya I always forget this forum is all over the world instead of just the Centre of the Universe!!
Fixed >_>
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
Rachelle

Post by Rachelle »

I dont know if Toronto is the centre of the universe, but close I guess!!
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
1993 Mazda MX-3
Like us on facebook at
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Toronto is a traffic nightmare I think. Hamilton has that one way up town then one way down town. Great for cruising in groups. We use to drive three and four abreast 15klms and hour and block traffic all the way up town. Great sport. lol People would be cursing and swearing at us. :lol: So your from????
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”