How hard is it for you to put it in first?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

:shock: i can down shift into first at any speed below 40km
the only gear i have trouble gettin into is reverse when at a complete stop (no i dont go into reverse while rolling lol)
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

ya ive heard around that some mx3's have a "ghost" reverse, you think its in reverse and when you start to go there is a grinding noise. Ive done that a few times, just put it into second, then into reverse and it should go easy. dont know why, but it seems to work.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
Red Rocket

Post by Red Rocket »

With my old car I had to put the car into neutral release the clutch then press the pedal in again and it would go into first no problem, otherwise it was really difficult too, oh ya and I had the same reverse thing too.
[*url=http:cardomain.com/ride/2632839]My Cardomain Page[/url*]
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

MoRf wrote::shock: i can down shift into first at any speed below 40km
t
same here

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
cerian_ca

Post by cerian_ca »

I had more difficulties downshifting in first when I got the car but, i don't know.. the car get used to it lol.. and i changed my oil for 2/3 of normal castrol and 1/3 of synthetic castrol at the end of winter, didn't feel any change. I'ma try something different soon I'll get you updated.

Most of the used cars are tough to put in reverse i'd say, from all the cars I had, the mx-3 is the 2nd easier, the first never had a problem and it was a nissan pickup, maybe because it's more like an "heavy duty" transaxle..
MRoy
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

If you clutch in while the intermediary shaft is spinning quickly it'll be harder to get into first when you're at a standstill (and it wears your synchros).

So if you clutch in at high rpms, leave the clutch in until your engine spins down to idle, and quickly pop the clutch again while in neutral. This will slow the intermediary shaft and might make it eaiser to get into gear.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
94mx3precidia

Post by 94mx3precidia »

thanks for the tip, ill try that.
1994 MX-3 GS KLZE, Probinator, Bully stage 1 (probe GT), B&M Short Shifter, 2 1/4" Custom headders back.
MoRf

Post by MoRf »

[quote="cerian_ca"]

Most of the used cars are tough to put in reverse i'd say, from all the cars I had, the mx-3 is the 2nd easier, the first never had a problem and it was a nissan pickup, maybe because it's more like an "heavy duty" transaxle..[/quote]

no more like nissan is godly :wink: haha
cerian_ca

Post by cerian_ca »

hehe, I've had 2 nissans and their engines are pretty bulletproof, it's good engineering but the body is weak against rust
MRoy

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”