Who Here does autocross?

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
jamarquardt22

Post by jamarquardt22 »

are our cars even any good for autoX?
Stock 93 GS SE v6 Automatic
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

jamarquardt22 wrote:are our cars even any good for autoX?
Not an automatic. :)

But MX-3s are very light and if you shift some weight back from the engine bay, well balanced. The KLZE swap provides a pretty insane power:weight ratio, and the stock GS configuration pulled something like .95Gs on the skid pad. Throw on some sticky 225 tires and a better sway bars, and surely it could be a good autox car.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Yeah, they're fine for auto-x. Stiffer suspension and good tire/wheel combo is all you really need. KLZE is optional, since usually you won't have a long enough stretch of a course to run out of power. Most of it can be done in 2nd gear, which provides plenty of pull. A good, skilled driver can get even a stock MX3 around the course pretty quick. You'd be surprised.
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

lakersfan1 wrote:

Here in Seattle, all I can find is like $200 a day rates and they require you to take one or two prerquisite driving schools at $150 a pop to qualify to drive HPDE day. Bull crap.
True, in a way it's fairly lame, but on the other hand I'm glad I took the classes. I learned things about high performance driving that I probably wouldn't be able to learn on my own, and I had an experienced instructor ride with me and give me pointers. I feel it was worth the price I paid.
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

In my opinion, depending on the amount of acutal track time you get, the track days are worth the cost. Those rates are pretty standard if it is a good track. Auto-X costs 30 bucks for us down here, that is for about 6 minutes of racing. A track day costs 200 a day +-, and we ususally get 4-5 hours of seat time, plus some class time. Also, my MX is much more set-up for speedy racing, not super tight corners where the ZE gives a ton of wheel spin even with the LSD. The intructor days or classes are well worth the time and money as you will double or tripple your skill in a few hours as opposed to days and days in which you might crash while learning what Not to do. The classes will also teach you how to race the car without putting so much stress on it. "Smoother is faster" as they say. Before I took some intructed seat time I was beating the car to death. After some learning I was much smoother and a good deal faster.!!I LOVE some track time!! Try it once and you'll be hooked once you see what the MX can Really do :shock: It is a sick little Fuc$er
Now I am jonesing some track time, geez
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
IRISHmx-3

Post by IRISHmx-3 »

I payied 80 euro about 100 dollars for my licence and pay 25 euro about 30 dollars for abotu 2 hours racing!

my MX3 is strippd
perspex windows
upgraded springs
strut bars
cage
harnesses
all around disks

upgraded
plug leads
plugs
pump
maf sensor

still need more mods eg. buckt seat
and i want to fit gauges for most things before i go into racing! but im getting there!

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”