Mechanic says $1000 for Timing Belt

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
illapino

Post by illapino »

thanks. anyway, now i just called napa. they're kit costs $485, all of the idlers and belt included except the pulleys are oe plastic, and no lash adjuster assembly included (whatever that is, is that necessary?).. so i have to say no to the napa kit because of the plastic.. i wonder if pulleys from mazda would be any different. plastic is oem style. .. . . ..
kiwi_MX3

Post by kiwi_MX3 »

illapino wrote:thanks. anyway, now i just called napa. they're kit costs $485, all of the idlers and belt included except the pulleys are oe plastic, and no lash adjuster assembly included (whatever that is, is that necessary?).. so i have to say no to the napa kit because of the plastic.. i wonder if pulleys from mazda would be any different. plastic is oem style. .. . . ..
OEm and aftermarket here is STEEL! never use plastic at 10,000 rpm
it just does'nt cut the mustard,

And the mazda engine is a non interferance engine, the only way your
going to put a valve through a pistin is to run big revs and HLA'S
Kiwi - Native Bird Of New Zealand, semi-nocturnal, secretive bird
Flightless, though can be found flying firstclass
Poor eyesight, though can spot a good pub at 100yards.
illapino

Post by illapino »

okay. my plan is to get myself a timing belt kit for now, and at least in one month i'll have it installed onto my k8 for peace of mind. when i get a klze in the future, when i have the time off work and can head to vancouver's jdm shops and have sufficient absorbed info on that engine from this forum, i will swap that new timing belt onto the klze as well. sounds about right?
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Maybe swap the pulleys and other hardware.. as for the belt itself.. kinda depends on how many miles you put on it before you get to that point. Also.. If you just buy a new belt for the ZE.. you can have everything on the ZE done when you are ready to swap.. making your swap time less. Otherwise you have to pull the K8.. swap all the stuff.. and then put the ZE in. Up to you how you want to do it though.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)
"Screw you guys.. I am goin home"

I am the Cranky God of Mods!!! Tremble before my fury!! LOL
illapino

Post by illapino »

I went to my Mazda dealership today in person and they showed me their idlers: they are all black plastic. They are metal only in the middle, the bearing. Where can I get steel, men? And this car is just a grocery getter really, so i'm not racing it. Is steel really for me, men?
illapino

Post by illapino »

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1995-2002-Mazda-626- ... dZViewItem

$140 for timing belt kit plus new water pump
but still plastic ... still haven't seen metal "pulleys" ... ...

12 month warranty
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Before you rip things apart for replacing ensure you have the right size water pump. There were 2 different shaft sizes used on the MX.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
mx3autozam

Post by mx3autozam »

jschrauwen wrote:Before you rip things apart for replacing ensure you have the right size water pump. There were 2 different shaft sizes used on the MX.
not sure if that matters or not john
when i worked at canadian tire they listed a rebuilt one and new ones. The new ones showed up with different shaft sizes but the rebuilt ones are all the same. Its the same at napa. and every de, ze or k8 waterpump i've seen has been the same size. and i've done waterpumps and t belts on more than a few k series motors
93 Mazda MX3 KLZE Turbo
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

mx3autozam wrote:
jschrauwen wrote:Before you rip things apart for replacing ensure you have the right size water pump. There were 2 different shaft sizes used on the MX.
when i worked at canadian tire they listed a rebuilt one and new ones. The new ones showed up with different shaft sizes but the rebuilt ones are all the same. Its the same at napa. and every de, ze or k8 waterpump i've seen has been the same size. and i've done waterpumps and t belts on more than a few k series motors

it matters.

When i installed my ZE I ordered an mx-3 warerpump so i could just use the pulley from the K8. The waterpump i was given had a smaller diameter shaft and the screw holes didnt line up. I had to return it and get the proper one. At this time I didnt have a car because the motor was out and the ZE was ready to go in so I had to walk to the parts store. They were both rebuilt waterpumps
Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

I agree with jonnyb. Definately matters. There are 2 different hub sizes to the water pump. One is 16mm and the other is 32mm. Mazda and ford seemed to play random favorites as to what pump made it onto what engine in what cars. The hub size is the part that goes through the center of the water pump pulley. The bolt hole location is also apparently affected. I took the water pump from my 92 K8 into my local napa with me since my research at this site indicated that there could be differences. My pump was a 32mm. The 92 their books and computer showed was a 16mm. After checking various different pumps they had in stock.. we found that their 95 Ford Probe GT (KLDE) pump was the same as my 92 K8 pump. Oddly enough.. this pump was $13 less than the one they had for the 92 MX-3 :roll: If you dont know what size your pump hub is.. take it with you when you go to get your new one.

Tunes67
"So long.. and thanks for all the fish!" "Momma says VW Bugs are the devil" "This one time at band camp.. I stuck a flute in my Throttle Body" ;)

Tunes67
Supporting Member

Post by Tunes67 »

Btw.. the water pump in the pic shown above is a 32mm for future reference.

Tunes67

illapino

Post by illapino »

life: there's always something ... ...

:roll:

thanks for the note ... now i have to find not only a kit with steel idlers, but a right sized water pump ...

roll roll roll .. ... ..
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Just when through my boxes low mileage parts (under 47000km) the 3 set of idlers are all steel. I also have a set of over diameter 7075 idlers for an engine with shaved heads as well.

Good thing I was going through part collection, I forgot I had a new spare timing belt and a OE hyd. tensioner in- stock as well.
Red Egg

Post by Red Egg »

end
Last edited by Red Egg on December 18th, 2006, 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
illapino

Post by illapino »

Yoda wrote:Just when through my boxes low mileage parts (under 47000km) the 3 set of idlers are all steel.
Yoda, i know your profile elaborately states that you are located in Earth, Galaxy, Milkyway, etc, and i'd hate to interrogate you, so i'll just ask: from what location did you get those 3 steel idlers? i take it that they're completely silver then, unlike the above photos that are only silver in the middle and black for the plastic surrounding ..
1992 Mazda Precidia
V6 K8 Engine

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”