REAL DOHC I-4 Cold Air Intake!!!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Shades

Post by Shades »

I would personally oil the filter as the oil actually helps trap some of the small particles from getting into the engine.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

that is true, BUT it also restricts air flow.
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
SpikeDerailed

Post by SpikeDerailed »

I have considered a CAI, but that whole potential to hydrolock the engine.
reprobation

Post by reprobation »

I've had the same CAI for about a year and a half.. never have I ever had any issues.

Also, this kit looks aso though it is the same as mine.

Mine came in a plain white box - with exactly the same stuff yours did.. Only I paid about 25 bucks for mine... Remember, you pay for packaging and printing.

This kit was sold as a CAI for a SOHC - there was no modifications needed other than having to buy a 2.5 to 3" adapter for the MAF.

Also, I used the filter it came with for about 4 months - it was fine. Afterwards I switched to a 3" Universal K&N - made a believer out of me - car has an even DEEPER tone from the engine bay, and alittle bit swifter (not much, but if feels like it).

Either way, with this kit installed - makes the car sound just damn evil, especially around the 4-5k RPM range...

-Chris-
1994 RS DOHC, Modified Cold Air Intake, Clear Corners all around, Black Altezza Tail lights. Blue cold cathodes in driver / passenger foot areas. Lowerd on Evotion Springs (1.75 drop F/R) with KYB GR2 struts. Sitting on 17x7 (40 mm offset) 5 Spoke rims with KUHMO 205/40/R17 Tires.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/807557
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

i got the same kit, the $50 one and installed it different to all of you guys:

i changed it today so it looks like all yours but i cant work out how to do the black plates, did you use both?
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

The black plates can be a hassle to get the bolt holes lined up, but they will line up. Take off the coolant resevoir and arrange the plates until they line up right above where the filter rests

remember to use that huge rubber... grommet that they include that wraps around the hole... I didn't put mine on for a while, and the rub on the piping wasn't very pretty :(
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

thanks, i'll have a go at it tomorow.
zCat

Post by zCat »

Important question, original poster: It didn't adversely affect your idle at all? All that factory vaccuum crap hooks up to it right?
If it does, I love you. I mean...like...in a brotherly way.
Peace.
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

zCat wrote:Important question, original poster: It didn't adversely affect your idle at all? All that factory vaccuum crap hooks up to it right?
If it does, I love you. I mean...like...in a brotherly way.
Peace.
i did not have to adjust my idle at all after isntalling.

there are only two hoses that connect to the intake pipe. one has to be conencted, one does not.

the one that goes from the valve cover to the pipe, i just put a breather filter on the valve cover and i plugged the intake pipe side of the connection with a rubber stopper and i used duct tape/elecrical tape to keep it in place.

the other connection (the fatter one) must be connected, i believe it's part of the EGR system, but i could be wrong. just route the stock hose up to the new intake pipe. it takes a little bit of massaging, but i got mine to fit w/o kinking. i hate how people disconnect the EGR system in favor of performance. under WOT, the ECU bypasses the EGR system by default in favor of this extra power. you don't need to be spewing rediculous amounts of pollution just to cruise around.

after installing the kit, i reset my ECU (disconnect + batt. terminal, pump brake pedal 5-6 times, allow car to sit for an hour +/-, reconnect battery, start car, allow to warm to normal operating temp and then go for an easy drive), and went on with life.

i've had this system on my car for nearly a year, and have had no issues. i DID oil the filter that came with it before installing. i will be switching to K&N in the next few months anyways just because i trust K&N more than i do "John's Super Duper Filters".

good luck!
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

How much does one of these affect your gas mileage? Hate to be a penny pincher but Im a poor college student :-P
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

onlytrueromeo wrote:How much does one of these affect your gas mileage? Hate to be a penny pincher but Im a poor college student :-P
IF you can keep your foot out of it, your mileage will improve. i noticed 4-5 mpg improvement on my car, highway and city.

that's just the thing though, can you keep your foot out of it?

good luck!
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
ravensteve9

Post by ravensteve9 »

What did you do with the hose that went from the intake tube to the IAC? Also, there is a vacuum hose that went to the stock airbox. What did you do about that? Looks awesome!
jamesmx3

Post by jamesmx3 »

is the vacuum hose that really small one? i was wondering where that came from it looks like mine broke off the origonal air box. it still runs ok though.
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

by the way, there is a very small unexplained "mystery hose" that is disconnected on every of our cars.

So if you can't find out where that little guy goes, you just gotta... heh... let it hang.

</innuendo>

If you haven't purchased the kit, most of your answers will be answered when you see the kit. It's very self explanatory.
Cy

Post by Cy »

HOLY OLD THREAD

that hose is fresh/non -vaccume air intake for the whole vaccume system...or exhaust...i didn't look @ the vaccume diagram that closely...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”