BOV + MAF

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

so to clear things up....i can(should) run my MAF before the turbo(filter..MAf..Turbo) on my 1994 DOHC B6 using the stock MAF with an open atmosphere blow off valve(turbo XS RFL)...and will not have any idle or rich/lean problems??

Also there shouldnt be any problems extending the MAf plug wires about 1 foot??
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

no. that will cause problems, what it seems that people are saying is go filter -> turbo -> bov -> maf -> tb -> Im exct exct.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Bochek wrote:it is impossible to use the bov before the maf.

maf has to be before the turbo, and bov has to be after the turbo.

Bochek
OR use a super AFC which can compensate for the blow off into atmosphere! Thats what im doin. car runs fine. My car goes -air filter-MAF-turbo-intercooler-bov-tb.
am also running the exact setup as cjthor, with a TurboXS Type S BOV which vents to atmosphere and it works fine. Running 10+ psi with no problems.
Thanks! is this the setup you have ? Filter -> MAF -> Turbo -> IC -> BOV -> TB . ive seen this setup befor dose it work ok / Idle fine
Ok what i am getting poeple are saying to run the MAF betwwen the turbo and filter??

Boy this topic is confusing :shock:
Someone please give a definate answer!!!
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Joey's mx wrote:
Bochek wrote:it is impossible to use the bov before the maf.

maf has to be before the turbo, and bov has to be after the turbo.

Bochek
OR use a super AFC which can compensate for the blow off into atmosphere! Thats what im doin. car runs fine. My car goes -air filter-MAF-turbo-intercooler-bov-tb.
am also running the exact setup as cjthor, with a TurboXS Type S BOV which vents to atmosphere and it works fine. Running 10+ psi with no problems.
Thanks! is this the setup you have ? Filter -> MAF -> Turbo -> IC -> BOV -> TB . ive seen this setup befor dose it work ok / Idle fine
Ok what i am getting poeple are saying to run the MAF betwwen the turbo and filter??

Boy this topic is confusing :shock:
Someone please give a definate answer!!!
Dude...all of us said the same thing here.....
AIR FILTER>>>MAF>>>TURBO>>>INTERCOOLER>>>BOV>>>TB
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

ModMX3--Yes, holes were cut out under neath each headlight to run the piping through. Its not the perttiest, and its now all but impossible to change a haedlight lamp...but it gets the job done. My bov can still be heard, but its not that loud at all like an open atmosphere one is. Someday I'll get an safc or some other kind of piggyback / standalone...so I can better tune the car and run a bov to the atmosphere...all in time i suppose.

Here are a couple shots that show where the pipes / holes are:
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

Dude...all of us said the same thing here.....
AIR FILTER>>>MAF>>>TURBO>>>INTERCOOLER>>>BOV>>>TB
Ok i got that now..but one more question is everyone who is runnign it that way have some kind of fuel computer to fix any problems?? Or does it just work fine like that with an open atmoshper BOV??
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

cjthor wrote:OR use a super AFC which can compensate for the blow off into atmosphere! Thats what im doin. car runs fine. My car goes -air filter-MAF-turbo-intercooler-bov-tb.
This is going to be the only way you can compensate for an atmosphere BOV. You cannot run a bov to atmosphere unless you either want a lean condition or having to go piggyback. I run an Apexi Super AFC and have no probs...
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

so no matter what you will have soem kind of problem with leaning out?? I mean running the MAf both ways??
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

Well this seems to be an unsure subject for everyone. I will run the MAF befor the turbo and see how that gos. Then maybe ill try it after the turbo just to compair differences. That way maybe we can clear things up a bit.
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

if u run the maf befor the turbo with an atmosphere BOV and not tuning it for that application u will run RICH when the BOV goes off.
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

ok, i dont think you can use a maf after the turbo, but you can use a vaf after the turbo, i think this is where we are all getting confused.

would a turbo expert please comment on this.

Thanks,
Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

I'm no turbo expert, but the 4cyl have MAF and the V6's have VAFM. I know for a fact from looking at BabyBlue's Cardomain pictures that he runs the VAFM after the turbo, and that is how I've seen just about every v6 K8 ran. I would imagine that your MAF should be as close to your TB as possible because otherwise there will be escaping air (BOV, Wastegate, IC leakage) that would hinder the measurements made by the ecu for fuel/air ratios as virtually useless and make you run lean. I have never researched into the 4cyl Turbo applications, so I can't speak for the 4cyl members. Your best bet is to use the Search function and look at pictures of other member's applications.

-Curt-
1993 GS
-MS front -functional molded hood scoop
-MS molded sides-shaved antenna
-Civic projectors -New black paintjob
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

If the MAF also reads temp, you would think it would be best to put it after the turbo , to best moniter the incoming air flow/temp . the downfall of this would be it would run rich every time the BOV is opened. I would think that running your MAF befor your turbo would be best with an atmospherfic BOV if your not using some kind of electronic fuel control. allthough then it would not adjust fuel acorrding to temp so either way it seems unsure but if I would have to choose I would rather run rich then lean.
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
XxantwawnxX

Post by XxantwawnxX »

INtake---> turbo--->intercool---> BOV----> MAF/VAF------> TB. That way if the BOV release air that air is not already measured by the MAF/VAF. And so u can have the correct IAT of the compressed air.

* * * * * * 92 Mx3 ZET, rear/front swaybars,srd crossmember,HKS SSQV,cold air,ZE with millinia mani and TB and 280cc injectors,INtrax springs with tokiko HP struts, Grounding kit, MotegiTrakLite wheels 17's at 14lbs each, MSnS Running fuel and spark,HEI mod,T3/To4E .60/.63 stage 3 turbine,3rd gen rx7 fuel pump, SSAC Headers/hotpipes ,38 ext tial wastegate, findanza flywheel, SBC TZ clutch/pressureplate,braille11pound battery/ magnum drilled F/R rotors,projectors, CXmotorsports almuminum intercooler.
Jacbs2007

Post by Jacbs2007 »

Well if you think of it like this.
You don't want any of the air's quality's to change between the MAF and yout TB...otherwise the calculations it makes for the fuel/air will be incorrect. If you have the Turbo, BOV, and wastegate after the MAF...then the calculations will be incorrect and you will either run Lean or rich because the air's quality's have changed since they were measured by the MAF.

Hope that helps you grasp the concept that I see in my head.

-Curt-
Last edited by Jacbs2007 on May 16th, 2006, 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
1993 GS
-MS front -functional molded hood scoop
-MS molded sides-shaved antenna
-Civic projectors -New black paintjob

Return to “Forced Induction”