BOV + MAF

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

BOV + MAF

Post by ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005) »

hey everyone, this question has been asked befor, but not quite sure about it. If your using a BOV befor the MAF and venting it to the atmosphere , ive read it WONT cause a problem with your idle or running rich/lean. Is this true . woulnt the MAF still read a loss in air flow ? thanks.
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

it is impossible to use the bov before the maf.

maf has to be before the turbo, and bov has to be after the turbo.

Bochek
Adam Bochek's 93 1.6L SOHC http://www.bochek.ca/car.gif
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Thanks! is this the setup you have ? Filter -> MAF -> Turbo -> IC -> BOV -> TB . ive seen this setup befor dose it work ok / Idle fine.
Apexi Safc 2 ,Timex Boost-Temp-Oil Gauges, Stage 1 Performance clutch, 8.5 mm Magnacore plug Wires,2.5 inch exhaust, Cold Air Intake , Short Shifter , High temp rotors & Ceramic pads to slow it all down !
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

umm thats not actually true there bochek u can use a maf AFTER the turb with the BOV BEFORE the maf unless you are using the stock maf from the 4 cylinder use that before the turbo. also i dont think u wanna vent the BOV to the atmosphere with the bov after the maf it can cause problems when u let off the gas from making boost. its like this on my ex-dsm that it must be re-circulated back to the intake so it dont run extremely rich when u let off the gas id dunno maybe these cars can run vented without problems?? correct me if im wrong.

and yes modmx3 thats good alot of set are like that
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

hey Modmx3...the way you listed, is how I have my setup running. I also have the BOV recirculated back into the intake tract. it runs fine this way, and i have been boosting 9psi for a few years now. later :)
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Nice setup hotsiit . but how did you run the tubing for the intercooler ? I was checking it out today and could not figure out how in the world to run 2.5 inch lines through to the front. I mean did you have to drill out part of the frame ? im trying to avoid running them under the radaator as they will be to low to the ground. Also can you still hear your BOV from inside the car with it being recircuated ? I love the souund of a BOV (as most do) but i dont want to sacurfice performance forr it. Thanks !
ModMX3 - (Carmaster2005)

Nice setup hotsiit . but how did you run the tubing for the intercooler ? I was checking it out today and could not figure out how in the world to run 2.5 inch lines through to the front. I mean did you have to drill out part of the frame ? im trying to avoid running them under the radaator as they will be to low to the ground. Also can you still hear your BOV from inside the car with it being recircuated ? I love the souund of a BOV (as most do) but i dont want to sacurfice performance forr it. Thanks !
Joey's mx

Post by Joey's mx »

ok so when running a stock MAF from a dohc b6 with a open atmosphere you should run the MAf between the filter and the turbo?? Would runnign the Maf between the throttle body and the blow off valve hurt it?? This seems to be a big question because i asked a couple months ago and poele where saying that you can not run the maf between the throtle body and blow off valve when using an open atmosphere blow off valve!!

So i would really like to know if you can run the MAf between the turbo and filter with an open atmesphere blow off valve??

I have seen it done both ways also so what is up??
ariesdude

Post by ariesdude »

I do not know much about turbos - but one question that's nagging me is - The MAF also has a temperature sensor for the incoming air - the ecu uses that to adjust air/fuel mixture - so if it sits before the turbo - it will register ambient temperature whereas the actual air going into the engine might be a different temperature because of the turbo/IC - wouldnt that lead to tuning/detonation problems? Maybe a good tuner could map it so that the ecu "guesses" the correct value most of the time - but for noobs wouldnt it make sense to have the actual temperature/flow going into the TB - just to make life a bit easier.
94 Mx-3 Precidia
1.8L 4Cyl DOHC newGen BP (used to be B6DE) ATX
http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=54032
http://www.cardomain.com/id/ariesdude
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

Joey's mx wrote: Would runnign the Maf between the throttle body and the blow off valve hurt it??
u can run the maf between the turbo and throttle body but the blow off valve needs to be mounted before the maf.
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

OR use a super AFC which can compensate for the blow off into atmosphere! Thats what im doin. car runs fine. My car goes -air filter-MAF-turbo-intercooler-bov-tb.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

sence when can you run the maf after the turbo. i allways thought it had to go before the turbo.

Bochek
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I am also running the exact setup as cjthor, with a TurboXS Type S BOV which vents to atmosphere and it works fine. Running 10+ psi with no problems.
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

u always could bochek u can use it either before or after the turbo
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Bochek

Post by Bochek »

hmmm so the compressed air wont affect its mesurement on vollume of air?

interesting. new idea i got brewin then.

Bochek

Return to “Forced Induction”