New KLZE..What do you think.

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Thx guys...yea I am not rushing into it at all. I have been waiting for this motor for about 2 months ++ and I know its not what they have promised. I am gonna try to search for another one now. I may take a trip to Vanocuver and go to JK motors and pick one myself (Thay ask about 1200$ for the motor). Thanks for all the info guys :D
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Sooo.. I went to talk to the guy at the shop who is ordering the motors and I explained that this was not a KLZE for obvious reasons. He was shocked and then all of a sudden remmeberd that those are K8 pics.. Here is the actual motor:

Still, for the price I am probably not going to buy this motor...
mike_moss

Post by mike_moss »

Good info, everyone. Thanks! Solo, I hope you get the right motor and for a good price!

I just went to see what I was told was a ZE today...was stamped "KL" near the alternator w/some sort of number (serial no. maybe?).

The motor had the square runners like above pics.

Heads were stamped "KL31"

What I didn't get was that it had EGR. WTF? Can anyone explain?
2001 Mazda MP3 | 1993 Mazda Protegé GT
My MX-3.com Feedback | My CarDomain Sites
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

mike_moss wrote:The motor had the square runners like above pics.

Heads were stamped "KL31"

What I didn't get was that it had EGR. WTF? Can anyone explain?
Sounds like an engine from a Millenia, meaning no flat top pistons and it will have KL01 cams.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
deyan

Post by deyan »

Zoso124 wrote:
Sounds like an engine from a Millenia, meaning no flat top pistons and it will have KL01 cams.
u mean, US SPEC KL01 cams! Curved neck KLZE's all come with KL01 cams, but they are Jspec KL01 CAMS... DIFFERENT GRINDS!
The Straight neck KLZE's are the ONLY ones that come with KL31 cams!
Again though, the Jspec KL01 cams make just as much power as the KL31 cams, just at lower RPM!

But yeah, if it has EGR it probably is a Millenia engine!
93 KLZE PROBE - GroundZ grounding kit, Straight Pipe, F/R STB, WAI, Nology Hotwires, Ractive slotted and drilled rotors, and Stillen brake pads, Kumho 711, 2000 626 16mm swaybar....
mike_moss

Post by mike_moss »

Very interesting. I realize I forgot to mention in my post that the manifold was straight neck.

If I pulled the valve cover and it had KL31 cams, is it sure to have the flat-topped pistons?
2001 Mazda MP3 | 1993 Mazda Protegé GT
My MX-3.com Feedback | My CarDomain Sites
mx3ze

Post by mx3ze »

I purchased my KL-ZE on ebay from (SilverStone Engines) DO NOT BUY FORM HIM!!! This guy is crook!!!
He sourced engine from F&F Japanese Motors.
I paid $1,200 CND (tax and shipping in) for KL-ZE with Millenia IM+TB+VAF. When engine arrived it was NOT one that he was selling/advertising and I was asked by trucking company to pay extra $140 for engine to be delivered to my address, I was happy to see that engine was KL-ZE, but unfortunately without MIllenia IM. It took me 3 months and over 70 emails to get Millenia IM (without TB). I would be extremely watchful.
If you need F&F Japanese motors address (did not deal directly with this company so I can not give you recommendation) PM me. On this link http://mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=44734 you can see how to identify KL-ZE and on this one http://mx3ze.blogspot.com/ you can see more photos of KL-ZE and Millenia IM.

Best regards,
Last edited by mx3ze on August 31st, 2005, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

theres a SMALL chance it could be a kfze..but yeah the im is defenetly k8.. even if heads are stampedwith the k8 codes...take out the valve covers ...still defenetly not a klze.. I would recoimmend to ship it back if thats not what you wanted. Also taking out the valve covers will let you know whats the engine's condition (a bit) and if they changed the oil in time. Call the seller first of all.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Julz

Post by Julz »

slowmx3 wrote:Noyan USA treated me real well.
Just curious; has any one had their engine installed by Noyan?
AAAAaaannnnddd Action!
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

I'm sorry but that compression is definately not good for a ZE. a KLZE should be no more than ~220 psi, and my KL-03 has ~190 psi across all 6-cylinders, where brand new is ~203 psi.

I ahve bought 4 KLZE's from a local shop i buy my engine and trannies through and all the KLZE i have got have had at least ~210 psi across all 6 cylinders.

Also Y would Mazda make 2 different cams with the same Stamping code?? I have read and read about that, but i still don't belive that the KL-01 cams are any stronger than the US KL-01.

Also if anyone is interested in a KL-ZE (straight or Curve neck) i can get them for a whole lot cheaper than most shops..PM if you wanna know more.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Instead of speculating like everyone else here...i'll post fact.

THAT IS NOT A KLZE IT IS A K8DE.

And if it is a klze, why the hell would they put a k8 manifold on it? no klze manifold looks even remotely as small & crappy as the stock manifold.

Secondly...why are you buying a curved-neck engine? The curved-neck klze's don't have kl31 cams, they have the stock klde cams, just the curved manifold & 10:1 compression is all you get with those.

IMVHO getting a kl31 engine WITH STRAIGHT NECK MANIFOLD and then sourcing & swapping on a kl68 or kl47 millenia/eunos 800 manifold would provide you with the best-fitting engine & most power potential
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

Instead of speculating like everyone else here...i'll post fact.

THAT IS NOT A KLZE IT IS A K8DE
Thats true for the first pics...no doubt about that.
Secondly...why are you buying a curved-neck engine? The curved-neck klze's don't have kl31 cams, they have the stock klde cams, just the curved manifold & 10:1 compression is all you get with those.
Thats what i ahve been saying for years...lol
IMVHO getting a kl31 engine WITH STRAIGHT NECK MANIFOLD and then sourcing & swapping on a kl68 or kl47 millenia/eunos 800 manifold would provide you with the best-fitting engine & most power potential
Thats what i got in my MX-3..LOL Man i guess i have been on the right track...hahaha
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Um that looks like a millenia engine..check the manifold..check the cylinder shaped intake..... compare it to a k8..defenetly not a k8.. STILL not what u were promised... get your money back
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Oh and NEVER buy from ebay unless they send you pics of the head code... i also got ripped with a kfze..oh well... :/
-hec

solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

I never paid so I am not worrying about it. I may be getting a laon to fix up my car soon so I will go to vancouver and pick one out.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”