Synthetic Oil - Mazda Engines

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that Chiggles has already got his answer from the previous post from Tunes, judging by the time stamp. Chiggles would have been in the middle of typing his post when Tunes already posted his.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Chiggles

Post by Chiggles »

jschrauwen wrote:I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that Chiggles has already got his answer from the previous post from Tunes, judging by the time stamp. Chiggles would have been in the middle of typing his post when Tunes already posted his.
:lol: That seems to be exactly what happened. I didn't even notice Tunes's post until I saw yours. Hahah. Thanks again, Tunes67 for clearing that up (was wondering who I had remembered mentioning that).

Hmmm.... well, to the best of my knowledge, my car does seem to be well maintained when I got it, and I don't notice any blue smoke coming out when looking back through the window or in the mirror, but then again, I should probably just have a friend follow me around for awhile to take notice of that just to be sure. And I don't think I'm burning up oil at a higher rate than what's expected... like I said, I had my first change done around the time of purchase in November, and only needed to top it back up about a month ago. So I assume burning up my oil to the point where it's low in 6 months is considered a normal rate of consumption, is it not?

That said, assuming my observations are correct and I'm really not having any blue smoke issues, then in my position I should be able to switch to synthetic, yes?
neutral
Supporting Member

Post by neutral »

Yup, you should be good to go w/full synth as that is very little oil consumption. You describe similar engine maintenance/conditions to my Mazda rides and I've put 60+ km on each of them with 10W30 full synth since purchasing w/160 - 185 km. I have the 95 MX-3 now with 220 km, 90 MX-6 now w/230 km, 96 626 now with 225 km - all running on 10W30 full synthetic and they all run great with barely any oil consumption.
Image -Jim
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

use thicker weight if youre experiencing tapping, oil pressure will rise oil into lifter reducing Hla noise
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

synthetic used to have a problem with leaking but most oil companies have pretty much fixed that problem
Rick Johnson

Post by Rick Johnson »

I used castrol synthetic 5w-30 for 2 years in my protege, when I sold it, it had higher compression then factory and 0 leaks at 180,000 km.... I'm now using mobil 1 5w-30 in the ZE <shrug>
bigtime

Post by bigtime »

my K8 and my buddy's klze both see mobil s synthetic... 10 W 40 i think it is..
Can't justify paying twice the price for mobil 1 ... 5 W 35 or something like that
We change it and filter every 5000 km...
Easy job :)
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

I found that you don't need to run syn if you change or oil every 3k like reccommened. If you ask me syn is overpriced unless you plan on running your oil for 5k-7k you get the same effect out of a regular oil you just need to change it every 3k. So if you don't run your oil past 3k there is no need for syn.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”