ATTENTION ALL ONTARIO RESIDENTS

Off-Topic Discussions
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

apparently were supposed to see a drop in our insurance rates care of the ontario govt but i really dont see it happening.

I cant imagine what you've done in the past for insurance companies to charge you $6200 a year though. I've been paying ~2400 after taxes since 1997 when I first got insured to drive a car and I've stuck with my insurance company because it hasnt gone up but down slowly. I'm awaiting a drop next year too because I'll be 25, which is supposed to be another deciding factor in calculating insurance rates. But really I'm not counting on anything because I've seen too many horror stories with insurance companies to get all excited about anything
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Well, my whole point here is to get SOMETHING on the record. I've been doing my research and have not found any formal complaints about this. Everybody just thinks that it's not in their hands to control. There is strength in numbers. In the past when the Ontario government has talked about doing something, the insurance companies simply said that they will not accept any new policies. This forces anyone that needs to start a new policy to take on a Facility Association policy. That in turn forced Facility Association rates to skyrocket. Rates are supposed to go down because the government has cooled down there watch on the industry so they are slowly accepting new policies. I can't stand to watch such a rich group of companies get away with this. They should either accept new policies or lose there right to be an insurer.

Now don't get me wrong, I know all about the reasons and statistics that insurance companies use to inflate there rates. My whole argument is that they should not be allowed to use gender because it is not something that can be controlled by the insured. It's the exact same reason that race is not allowed to be used as a variable. If anybody thinks that they don't have statistics on what race is most likely to make a claim your kidding yourself. If they could use that against you they would. But they can't because it would be discrimination. Anyways, enough ranting for now.
mxmaz

Post by mxmaz »

Another reason for the different statistics among gender, is that female drivers are given more breaks by officers when they are pulled over. Some people may argue that, but i truely believe it.
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

hell I believe women cause more accidents then men do. If only they didnt dress so hot while I'm driving past them I wouldnt be staring and get into accidents :lol:
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

lol well put, well put :lol:
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

BC changed it many years ago from private to public sector. Initially, the BC insurance was quite cheap, BUT, they were losing money and eventually rates rose to what is basically almost the same as the private sector here in ON.
As far as the commission is concerned, you are basically right, they are allowing discrimination practices within their guidlines to the insurance companies, and like it or not this is an accepted way of doing business without the government stepping in completely and taking over the whole auto insurance arena. At this point, ON is continually trying to get out of the business of being in business and like the feds, trying to turn as many services back to the private sector as much as possible. Remember that these insurance companies also pay taxes and I'm sure that the ON government is getting a healthy chuck of change out of it.
I'm not unscathed by their wrath either. In the 10 years of owning the MX, my rates have never gone down, in BC or ON. No claimed accidents in 30 years of driving, 2 minor tickets in last 15 years and I pay nearly $1,000.00 a year without collision. Here's the kicker - just bought a 2002 Protege in December. The insurance for the Protege is about $30.00 less a year than the MX, but wait it gets better - this cheaper rate is including collision ++. Why the dispairity - sporty versus non-sporty. Suffice it to say that the MP5's, Evo's and other 4dr sporties get a better break when it comes to insurance rates. Fair, I think not, but that's the way it is. Good luck in the lawsuit quest. Don't forget that these insurance companies will be quite well armed with very capable lawyers. Again, good luck!!
:2thumbsup:
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas
Split Sixer

Post by Split Sixer »

i agree with mazdubber 100%
Car insurance makes no sence to me. How is it that is illegal to drive without car insurance but insurance companies are allowed to charge whatever then want. It should be government owned with set rates. And everyone should start off with the same rates. If you maintain a clean driving reccord your rates should go down and if u have accidents or tickets your rates should rise.
Everyone i have ever talked to about car insurace disagres with the current setup. So why is it that eveyone thinks car insurace should change but it never does? isn't the point of a democracy to elect ppl to make decisions that the population wants???
Splixer
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

I just need numbers guys. Whether you think it will change or not I need as many people involved in the process as possible. As long as you feel insurance is unfair in it's current form post and let me know if you support this. The more people that are involved, the harder it is for politicians to ignore!
MX-3.com
Site Administrator
antispam: No

Post by MX-3.com »

I'll put my name down.
ImageJeff Aycan - Site & Forum Owner/Administrator
2003 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro Sedan (Brilliant Black)
2004 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Light Silver Metallic)
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R (Lime Green/Ebony)
SOLD - 1995 MX-3 Precidia RS (Blaze Red)
SOLD - 2000 Honda Civic Si (Vogue Silver Metallic)
SOLD - 2005 Honda CR-V LX AWD (Redondo Red Pearl)

Please Help Support MX-3.com - (Contact me for MX-3.com Decal Purchases)
93SOHC

Post by 93SOHC »

Split Sixer wrote:i agree with mazdubber 100%
Car insurance makes no sence to me. How is it that is illegal to drive without car insurance but insurance companies are allowed to charge whatever then want. It should be government owned with set rates.
Dang now you canadian's want national car insurance too. You already got the healthcare, so I guess this wouldn't be such a stretch... :lol:
93SE-KLDE Theres a big peice of metal inside my other peice of metal now...weird???
relisys_3200

Post by relisys_3200 »

ill put my name down too
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

I'm with you man.
When I have no accidents no tickets no nothing - and a girl the same age, with multiple speeding tickets, and two at fault accidents has the same insurance cost as me.

Somethings got to change
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

you got my name for this, the quotes ive been getting for insurance make me cry lol.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Alright, this is a good start. Does anybody have any local bb's that they go to a lot? I don't hink it'll be hard to get people on our side. I just need to find them. My original idea has been to get as many people as I can to send letters and e-mails to the government demanding change at the same time. Does anybody else have any ideas?
jschrauwen
Forum Moderator

Post by jschrauwen »

Do you actually believe that public insurance (provincial) is actually going to be cheaper than public insurance. My previous post as to what happened in BC should be proof enough that the Ontario government is not going to get into the insurance business. In my mind, the heart of the matter lies between the insurance companies collectively. Meaning just like when we see one gas station put up their price, the surrounding stations follow suit. More often, it's usually a few of these stations that set the price. The same can be said with insurance. There are are couple of big players out there that basically set the pace or benchmark and the rest follow suit. They have a name for this - collusion. Prove this, and you've openned up a real can of worms. Prove this and a lot of these insurance giants may come tumbling down. Think your lawyer can go toe to toe with these insurance company lawyers on those grounds.
Don't get me wrong, no claimed accidents in 30 years and 2 minor tickets in last 15 years and my rates still suck. Would I like cheaper rates - of course. I also like to fight the good fight.
'92 GS-ZE - sold, '95 GS - sold, '02 Protege LX - Daughter, '00 Audi A4 2.8 QTip, Ducati TT2
90 JDM RHD 300ZX TT - 572.1 RWHP | 590.0 RWTQ | 21 PSI | Pump gas

Return to “Off-Topic”