Dash Lights?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Grants
BANNED Member

Re: Dash Lights?

Post by Grants »

M92, you need a multimeter. If you unplug the cables from the dimmer you won't be able to check if there is a variable voltage on the output. If you wanna bridge it out you'll need a multimeter to check what wires are what so you don't short out the + to ground.

If you haven't got a multimeter surely an auto electrician wouldn't charge you to put a meter on it for you - not to find the fault but just to check it. 20 seconds work is all!

<small>[ August 19, 2004, 08:44 PM: Message edited by: Grants ]</small>
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

to tell you the truth i am kinda lost on the whole thing, anyways if someone could type it out on what i need to to in order i would love it because i am not sure on what i all need to do THANK YOU
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

M92, the best thing would be to take it to an auto electrician. Tell him you think your dimmer has had it because it was playing up. It'll take him a couple of minutes to confirm it or not. Otherwise you could take the dimmer out of the car and take it to an electronics shop. Same thing, they could tell you straight away. You can pull the dimmer out from the front - the face plate levers off and you can pull it out (if its the same as mine).

I never dim my dash lights so I wouldn't even bother replacing the dimmer. I'd just bridge it out and be done with it. Up to you.

No good just ordering a new one if your not sure its u/s. Might be a broken wire or bad connection.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

Grants, you are awesome thank you :2thumbsup:
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Originally posted by Grants:
Take the dimmer switch out and in the plug, bridge between the ground wire and the wire THAT IS NOT positive. I wouldn't be game to suggest the cable colours as yours might be different to mine (but I think its red).

I've done this on mine and it worked OK. Be careful though as you don't wanna short out the circuit and blow a fuse or worse.

Its easier just to check the voltages to see if the dimmer is OK. With the ights on (and the dimmer connected), one cable should be ground, one should be positive and the third (red?) should have variable voltage depending on the position of the rheostat.
Thanks for the help. You have been the only one to be able ot help me with this. I went out and bridged the wires together and bam the lights came on for the first time in 5 years. Thanks for the help.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Good to hear! Now you can either leave them bridged so they come on full brightness with the headlights or get a new dimmer. I'd just leave it bridged and wait until I found a cheap one!
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

how do you bridge it ?
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Maybe Rick can confirm the colours but on mine its bridge the red and the black. You gotta be careful not to bridge the wrong ones though or you'll blow a fuse of worse. Or are you asking how to do it physically with a bit of wire??
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

yeah how ? like all of it ? because i am new to the messing with wire i am more into interior work and **** and some engine stuff, i dont normally like to do wiers unless its neons but yeah how do you do it ? like what do i accually have to do, thanks
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Can you pull the dimmer out ok? Should be able to do it from the front. Pry off the front plate and slide the dimmer out. You should then be able to unplug it, the cable is probably short but should be just long enough if you hold your tounge right. Be careful with the dimmer that you don't lose the little roller or anything.

Now you need a test light or multimeter to test which of the 3 wires in the plug has 12 volts on it (with the lights on). Then you need a short piece of wire a few inches long and stripped at both ends to very carefully short out the 2 wires in the plug THAT HAVEN"T GOT A VOLTAGE ON THEM (probably red and black wires but I don't know for sure on yours). The dash lights should come on when the plug is bridged if the dimmer is shagged.

If you can't do the test I reckon you should take the dimmer to a auto spark or electronic shop and ask them to test it. Maybe even Mazda would check it for you. I wouldn't take a punt and short out the red and black wires without testing first, you might blow a fuse or burn something else out.

Hope this helps, let us know how you go.
Ricksmx3
Supporting Member

Post by Ricksmx3 »

Yeah the wire colors on my 92 gs that i bridged together are all black and all red. There is a third one that is black and red but dont touch that one.
2010 MazdaSpeed 3
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

i have a 92 RS and i only have 3, 1 black, and 2 red

<small>[ August 23, 2004, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: m92_MX3 ]</small>
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Thats right, 3 in total. Take a better look at the wires. They should be:
red
black
red / black
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

oh ok so you think it would be the red and the black ?
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Thats what I think. If you can bridge them out (with the lights on) you'll know if its you dimmer.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”