Drifting

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
ProtegeSTS

Re: Drifting

Post by ProtegeSTS »

you cannot sustain a drift in a FWD car like you can in a RWD or AWD car, but its possible to do short bursts. However, there is not much of a point, and its horrible on tires.<P>Oversteer is quite easy to get in a FWD car, especially the BG chassis cars like the MX-3 and Protege.<P>the tire "tilt" as mentioned before is camber, but a bicycle uses caster instead.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
pelado

Post by pelado »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Swego:<BR><STRONG>the Citroen Xsara WRC car is front wheel drive (not sure what year). And rally is all about drifting.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>WRC cars are All Wheel Drive which makes it easier to "drift." The techniques the WRC guys apply to dirt and to asphalt are quite different by the way. Drifting is faster on dirt and gravel. <BR>As Protege said, drifting is tough to do in a FWD, it's more plowing than drifting. It looks cool but it's not fast. It's where you reach the limit of adhesion and the tires start to break loose. People associate it with going faster when they observe racers doing this on asphalt but the racers are "at the limit" when they start to do this and while they may be faster for a few laps this won't last forever since their tires go away faster, as Protege stated. Saving your tires can win races. Given two equal drivers in equal cars, the one with the better tires will win.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
disturbed321

Post by disturbed321 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marshmallow15:<BR><STRONG>actually, i practiced drifting with my mx-3 in an EMPTY PARKING LOT...very important. practice somewhere safe and empty. it was pretty stupid of me to practice in a public place so i recommend going to some type of driving school. it's possible if your technique is good. you can really damage your brakes and wear them out fast though like i did which was the cause of a later accident when i rear-ended a car. i recommend not drifting because why do you need to drift anyway? to get away from police? even if you can, they'll catch you. if you observe police, they're very good drivers.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Heh I tried to get away from the cops once, and the next day they showed up on my doorstep...too bad I wasn't driving a honda or some kinda car that everyone else drives. P.S. My Vette can out do any of the impalas, or crown victoria police cars here, and the cops eating donuts is true around here to, when you drive by Tim Hortons all you see is black and white and tons of PO PO's inside....<BR> :D :D
I Eat Dodges & s--- Fords
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

mx-3s are nearly impossible to drift on a turn. trust me. i've tried MANY MANY times. the only way you might be able to get a good drift going with an mx-3 is taking out your abs, getting stronger brakes, getting an extra set of worn out tires, a short handbrake cable, tuning the suspension to the fullest (isn't necessary, but helps a lot) such as strut bars, suspension, splitters, sway bars, and lots of practice.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

i have, however, done a couple small short drifts in my time. here's the technique that i use.<P>i go at around 40-50. i tap the brake a little to have the front nose pointed down...important. then i steer to the direction desired and once the car starts turning, i wait a second and then pull up the handbrake....when i hear the tires skid, i quickly steer the other way and when i feel that feeling of going sideways, i put the ebrake down. then just steer your way out of that and done.<P>for 360 drifts, it's the same operation, but don't do the opposite spin of the steering wheel. instead, once you go a complete 180, tap on your brake again because you'll be leaning back and you need to tap on the brake to level out the car. then just use your instincts to finish the spin.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Falstaff

Post by Falstaff »

the "scandanavian flick" technique.. its fun in the snow to do 360's..<P>the followin is from a website (URL at the bottom)<P>"Used as a way of committing to medium slippy corners at speed by eliminating understeer. Particularly if the entrance to the corner is tight on a surface such as gravel, you need a way of quickly turning into the corner without the possibility of understeer.<P>Using left foot braking, you should aim to put the car into a sideways skid heading down the road towards the corner whilst the car is pointing in the opposite direction to the corner (e.g. pointing right heading towards a left hand turn).<P>The car can then be held in that position by flooring the brakes and locking up all the wheels or just balancing the brakes and throttle.<P>At the point when you want to turn in you can come off the brakes and let the car change direction and swing into oversteer in the other direction. It is then a case of balancing the brakes, throttle and steering using the left foot braking technique to balance the car through and out of the corner. "<P>from <A HREF="http://www.drivingtechniques.co.uk" TARGET=_blank>www.drivingtechniques.co.uk</A> <BR>(a pretty cool site actually.. though i'm sure there are better..)

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”