Electronic supercharger...

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
KWK MX3

Re: Electronic supercharger...

Post by KWK MX3 »

Nobody thought of a gas powered one? duh<BR>A long pull cord and some duct tape...
KWK MX3
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EvilSnot:<BR><STRONG>Ya know, the idea of an electric "supercharger" really isnt that bad....but that thing just looks kinda cheesy. I guess the real problem whould be the loss in power from the change from mechinical energy, to electrical back to mechinical....now if we had 42v electrical systems.....</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>Yeah, its a bad idea, because we dont have the technology to make an electrical motor that could make power at any sort of higher rpm use.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Mr. MX6

Post by Mr. MX6 »

I applied my little bit of gray matter that is still functioning to this thing and, you know if you fitted an alternator isolator switch that cut the connection from the alternator to the battery the booster would run of the stored power in the battery and not from the alternator..<BR>Perhaps a double pole relay instead of the single one on the execrator peddle.. And when you are not flooring it the battery would get recharged...Umm maybe...although I don't know how the CPU would cope with the spike in volts...still you could always fit an arrested...and you may need a bigger battery…<BR>Even the alternator isolator makes a difference to the power on load (I've got it on another car that I’ve got)
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. MX6:<BR><STRONG>I applied my little bit of gray matter that is still functioning to this thing and, you know if you fitted an alternator isolator switch that cut the connection from the alternator to the battery the booster would run of the stored power in the battery and not from the alternator..<BR>Perhaps a double pole relay instead of the single one on the execrator peddle.. And when you are not flooring it the battery would get recharged...Umm maybe...although I don't know how the CPU would cope with the spike in volts...still you could always fit an arrested...and you may need a bigger battery…<BR>Even the alternator isolator makes a difference to the power on load (I've got it on another car that I’ve got)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Even if you could power something, its not powerful enough to get positive manifold pressure at decent rpm, so whats the use?
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
EvilSnot

Post by EvilSnot »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ProtegeSTS:<BR><STRONG><P><BR>Yeah, its a bad idea, because we dont have the technology to make an electrical motor that could make power at any sort of higher rpm use.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Good point, but most of the proposed ideas for 42v elecerical systems don't just use an alt as the sole power sorce. With a larger resourvor of avaible power, it whould be possible to make an eletrically driven compressor that could respond to an increase in rpm (because its not being maxed out all the time......), but its all just specualtion, so it take it at that, lol :p
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Hmm....well I live on the real world, where people don't increase their electrical systems to 42v, so I'm going to go ahead and say that converting mechanical energy to electrical energy to mechanical energy is a bad idea. :)
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
pelado

Post by pelado »

Actually this ERAM thingy does run off the battery and not the alternator if you believe their advertisement.<BR>However, the only person with experience with this thing said it doesn't work and that's good enough for me.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
mattster

Post by mattster »

hey how about a gas powered leaf blower!! couldn't you just imagine some guy pulling up to you at a stop light, and he is pull starting a leaf blower from inside... oh boy ive got to get to bed.
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
Coolzombi

Post by Coolzombi »

WORKS ON ANY ENGINE up to 5.0 liters!
Friends don't let friends drive stock.
EvilSnot

Post by EvilSnot »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG>Hmm....well I live on the real world, where people don't increase their electrical systems to 42v, so I'm going to go ahead and say that converting mechanical energy to electrical energy to mechanical energy is a bad idea. :)</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> Yeah, I know its completly moot, lol :P. <BR> :p.
buckrodgers

Post by buckrodgers »

The idea of having an electric system forcing air into the intake is very good. <P>- I hear say the energy taken on the alternator eleminate the effect. <BR>THAT IS NOT TRUE, because u take some energy <BR>from the alternator to compress the intake gasses, hawever that allows to burn more fuel<BR>which will generate much more energy than what is used to compress the air. it is exactelly the same as a turbo or a gas turbine.<P>- On the other hand the system here looks a bit crappy and dose not perform well. you need more than 15-20kpa (2-3 psi) to have a significant effect. As well an other difficulty is that the flow sensor on the mx is volume flow, by increasing pressure the volume flow will not vary because you compress the air but the mass flow will increase. u need to find a way to let the ecu know that it has to put more fuel.<P>well i hope these explainations will make things a bit clearer for the electric compressors.<P>cherrio,<P>Buckrodgers. :cool:
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by buckrodgers:<BR><STRONG>The idea of having an electric system forcing air into the intake is very good. <P>- I hear say the energy taken on the alternator eleminate the effect. <BR>THAT IS NOT TRUE, because u take some energy <BR>from the alternator to compress the intake gasses, hawever that allows to burn more fuel<BR>which will generate much more energy than what is used to compress the air. it is exactelly the same as a turbo or a gas turbine.<P>- On the other hand the system here looks a bit crappy and dose not perform well. you need more than 15-20kpa (2-3 psi) to have a significant effect. As well an other difficulty is that the flow sensor on the mx is volume flow, by increasing pressure the volume flow will not vary because you compress the air but the mass flow will increase. u need to find a way to let the ecu know that it has to put more fuel.<P>well i hope these explainations will make things a bit clearer for the electric compressors.<P>cherrio,<P>Buckrodgers. :cool:</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Until somebody legitimate actually does it, it's all BS to me.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

its been tried....a lot. It doesnt work. Stop asking.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
buckrodgers

Post by buckrodgers »

Well the Fiat group has been developing an electric turbo and I think GM has been working on it a bit.<P>Hawever this is serious project not like <BR>the little fan discussed here. The point i wanted to raise is that the idea is good<BR>but it needs proper realisation by engineers. <P>an electric turbo could allow to get rid of the traditional lag and provide some enormous torque at low revs where the exhaust gas flow would not be suficient to produce the desired pressure rise.<P>And don't say something is BS before you understand it. <P>here the concept is good but the realisation up to now is BS.<P>cheerio<P>Buckrodgers
ikedogg

Post by ikedogg »

yeah.
and konstantine is walking down the stairs...

Return to “Forced Induction”