Big Brake Kit Options & Other Options

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
VizualXTC

Re: Big Brake Kit Options & Other Options

Post by VizualXTC »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by caveman:
thats true now do the exact same things to a stock size rotor(caliper is what grabs the disk/rotor)drill the holes and slots and groove around it now wouldnt that be even lighter than doing it with a bigger disk/rotor......and the amount that it would actually cool isnt all that much more than a stock sized crossdrilled rotor.....your right about the wheels to but if you take your average 17 with tire and a stock tire the stock tire is still lighter......but there are lightwheight 17 like ro_ja which make 17 -19 form 11-15 pounds...<hr></blockquote><p>Sorry, I edited my original post and changed it to read correctly. I had calipers on the brain since this post is originally about calipers, but I did mean rotors. <p>Futhermore, if you have a 17" rim it will take LESS ruber to make the same diameter of tire size. If you look, the 17's have a "low-profile" tire. This is so when it's compared next to a stock tire, the top of the tire is the same height of the stock unit. If you have a 17" wheel that is lighter than the 15" wheel, and put less rubber on it, it will weigh less. (less rubber = less weight) <p>Also, if the smaller rotors didn't cool faster than the bigg rotors....why put on a big rotor? Wouldn't it seem smarter to put less rotating mass on the axel? A smaller lightweight rotor would be more benneficial as a bigger lightweight rotor right? It actually DOES cool it faster. Not like 10 degrees or nothing, but in drag racing, every little bit helps. Otherwise, tell me why they opt for the larger diameter rotors as opposed to a smaller one.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

I've been thinking about this more lately, and it might not be hard to patch together a kit.<p>All you need is a big brake kit from - Civic, Focus, whatever - and then get some metal shop to fabricate you a bracket with the right hole spacing, etc.<p>It can be done if you find the right shop. That's how people put Porsche or Ferrari brakes on other cars.<p>The advantage to something like this would be A LOT cheaper kit to begin with. The HP Racing kit is a lot of money, and while the brake man doesn't have a "kit" for our car they can make a custom one for any car they told me - but lots more money.<p>Either way, I'm convinced a big brake kit can be had for our car under $600 (US).<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

http://members.attcanada.ca/~dragon64/junk.html<p>has all information on disc swap
jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com

Return to “Appearance”