Big Brake Kit Options & Other Options

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
NateDog

Big Brake Kit Options & Other Options

Post by NateDog »

hey lastnight while i was working on my mazda w/ some fellow car club members, my friend and i tryed on a big brake kit from a Civic. it seemed to fit directly onto my mazda. im not sure on the lines, for we didnt get that indepth w/ installing them. we were just wondering if they would fit. they did :cool:
Sonicxtacy02

Re: Big Brake Kit Options & Other Options

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

keep us informed on both man. It would be great to find alternatives to what we have now in both departments.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

i saw the autosomething brand of big brake caliper and drilled and slotted discs in a mazda dealership, i guess it was for the new protege,,,
didnt ask for the price,,,
if interested it was the dufferin mazda in toronto,,, :D
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

HP Racing makes one for the Mazda 323. It's 4 bolt, and while I'm still not 100% sure, I've always thought the 323 calipers fit our car (they use the exact same brake pads).<p>This kit is $1600 (US).<p>The only other option I've found is a complete custom race set from The Brake Man. IF you were racing, I would take this kit over anything else, but it's about $5000 (US) for their cheapest FULL kit.<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
jonathanj

Post by jonathanj »

iv already contacted brake man and they said that they dont offer a kit for our cars. but will the 323 brake setup work?? any one know????
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

of course the honda big break disk worked on your car........its the same reason that you can put any wheels from a honda onto our car........its because the bolt pattern is the same......its 4x100.......the difference come when you try to mount the caliper its totally in a different spot.........you could probably get it to work if you could get some one to make you a bracket so that you can re-mount your caliper higher up because you are trying to use a bigger diameter rotor.......thats how they do it for the honda kits they use the same stock caliper...they just put the bigger disk on and re-mount the caliper up higher.....if you think about it this actually will not help the performance of your breaking system it may actually hinder it because you are adding to the rotational mass of you wheels and not adding to the gripping (or grabbing) force of the caliper which is what actually stops you not the size of the disk..........so what i would be doing is trying to find out if we can get say 4piston calipers for our cars........i think i heard somewhere that 2nd gen rx-7 calipers fit?
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

There are lots of BIG BRAKE kits, not just big rotor kits, for the Civics. It's a Civic, come on!!!<p>As for the 323, I would say yes, but some say no.<p>They use the exact same brake pad as us, along with old Proteges, so I don't see why it wouldn't be the same caliper.<p>~A
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

It may be the same caliper but different mounting brackets, line placement, etc. If you wanna get technical you can make almost ANY caliper fit if you wanna take the time to do it.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
hud_91gt

Post by hud_91gt »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by caveman:
of course the honda big break disk worked on your car........its the same reason that you can put any wheels from a honda onto our car........its because the bolt pattern is the same......its 4x100.......the difference come when you try to mount the caliper its totally in a different spot.........you could probably get it to work if you could get some one to make you a bracket so that you can re-mount your caliper higher up because you are trying to use a bigger diameter rotor.......thats how they do it for the honda kits they use the same stock caliper...they just put the bigger disk on and re-mount the caliper up higher.....if you think about it this actually will not help the performance of your breaking system it may actually hinder it because you are adding to the rotational mass of you wheels and not adding to the gripping (or grabbing) force of the caliper which is what actually stops you not the size of the disk..........so what i would be doing is trying to find out if we can get say 4piston calipers for our cars........i think i heard somewhere that 2nd gen rx-7 calipers fit?<hr></blockquote><p>About the part of bigger rotors with stock calipers not doing anything to performance, or actually hurting performance you are wrong. It has been proven, and easy way to look at it is ride a Mountain bike with 6" rotors and then one with the same caliper, just mounted higher with a bracket with an 8" rotor, HUGE difference, plus the bigger rotor cools down much better.
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by VizualXTC:
It may be the same caliper but different mounting brackets, line placement, etc. If you wanna get technical you can make almost ANY caliper fit if you wanna take the time to do it.<hr></blockquote><p>Well, if it's the exact same caliper, then it will the have the exact same mounting holes on it as ours. Therefore, I would think it would just bolt on no problems. It might be at a different spot (more verticle, horizontal, etc.) than how ours is stock, but I think it should work.<p>~A
shogokuma

Post by shogokuma »

since we are talking about brakes i have a 93 rs and i want disc brakes in the back can i get the back disc brakes frome a gs in the junk yiark could that fit????
zoom zoom 1.6L SOHC. hummm it's knocking :( but its gething fixed.
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

hud-
ok maybe i went a little far as to say that it may hurt performance but im not wrong by any means.........what your trying to tell me is that just because you are putting a bigger disk on the hub that means the STOCK caliper is magically gonna get more grabbing force........i seriously dont think so......its like taking a tricyle wheel and mountain bike wheel and spinning them....which one is easier to stop if you spin them at the same speed and then try and stop them........the small one is actually quite easy to stop with you hand where as the large mountain bike wheel is harder to stop....do you know why that is, its called momentum.....basically the larger the mass/size of the object the harder it is for it to be stop or the greater the momentum....there for the if you use the bigger rotor it has more momentm or rotational mass which means if your using a stock caliper which was designed to stop a smaller rotor it actually has to work harder to stop the wheel and bigger rotor from spinning........so im pretty sure i WASNT wrong.......
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

heres a way for most of us to be able to put this in perspective.......when you go from your stock wheels 14 - 15 what ever you have and you go to 17 - 18 inch wheels.......you find that the pick up of your car isnt as quick or the car isnt as fast or peppy as it was with the stock wheels right...........thats because the rotational mass of the the wheels has been increased........its like drag cars when they run the use 14 or 15 inch light wheight drag wheels which are 9 - 11 pounds........thats so they dont have to use up power just to get the wheels to turn and if the do use big rotor they also always i can gaurantee that they have at least 4 piston callipers on the car.......why wouldnt they just use stock ones if they worked so good they would be lighter wouldnt they........
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Caveman, Actually most aftermarket wheels are lighter than stock. Yes the 17" wheels are ligher than the 15" stockers. Not all, but the mojority. Not all are made specifically for looks, some are made to help performance as well. Likewise the rotors are lighter. Imagine weighing your stodk rotor. Now drill 50 holes thru it, or scrape a 1/8" deep grove in it. Now weigh it again. It's lighter. Making it have LESS rotational mass. Yes it will be spinning faster at the circumfrence, but it will still be easier to stop than the heavier smaller rotor. Also, the bigger it is, the longer it has before it is run over by the pad again. This helps it cool faster. Also those groves and holes, help cool faster. Cooler rotors = cooler pads = better grip and quicker stops.<p>Aiden, I never said EXACT. Just like the K08, KL03 and KLZE are the same engine, just a few different parts. I agree the KL may differ more from the K8 than the MX-3 calipers differ from the 323, but the point is still there. Just because it uses the same pads doesn't mean it wasn't designed a little differently for the car. I recieved a KLZE A/C compressor to replace my stock unit because of a frozen barring. Everything fit except the coolant lines. They were just a LITTLE too big to fit in the ZE's connectors. I'm not sayin the 323 calipers will fit, they may very well fit. BUT I wouldn't use the pad to conclude similarity.<p>[ January 31, 2003: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]</p>
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

thats true now do the exact same things to a stock size rotor(caliper is what grabs the disk/rotor)drill the holes and slots and groove around it now wouldnt that be even lighter than doing it with a bigger disk/rotor......and the amount that it would actually cool isnt all that much more than a stock sized crossdrilled rotor.....your right about the wheels to but if you take your average 17 with tire and a stock tire the stock tire is still lighter......but there are lightwheight 17 like ro_ja which make 17 -19 form 11-15 pounds...

Return to “Appearance”