headlight bulbs

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
jamik_69

Re: headlight bulbs

Post by jamik_69 »

ok im starting to get really pissd with some people on this board if you read my question it clearly states that i dont want to buy hid's because i dont have $700+ to spend on headlights
second of all no one said anything about xenon being brighter even though they are. thank you to people that took the time to read my question and anwserd it with out saying stupid things like buy hid's :mad:
"guess i forgot to put the foglights in"
Shades

Post by Shades »

This is a very interesting post... first off.<p>Ok from what I got was that Xenon bulbs don't last that long because of the gases they use... so if you like to "show", then you gotta be rich.<p>So, just because the Xenon bulb manufacturer's claim they are brighter doesn't mean they really are brighter... just like the sticker that makes cars go faster.<p>AND like everyone says if you want brighter lights go HID... otherwise be rich and go Xenon... or just be like the rest and go with halogen...<p>Wow, you learn something everyday... but why am I still so stupid?! :D
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

I'm not rich or mechanic who can install those expensive systems, but I could change my light bulbs. I purchased my HID white ones at eBay for about $20 (including shipping) and never had any problems with it. My very first bulbs died one day, and then I got my blue ones at the local k-mart for about $15 a pair. It was as bright as the original one, but one died in like 3 months. Then I decided to try above HID light and I think it's worth that money. So far, I have it for about a year, and it's still bright.<p>As I mentioned, I'm not mechanic, but I'm about a semester away to be engineer. The white light looks brighter probably because (I have not checked the exact figures <what are visible are in the range of 0.1 - 1 micro meter in wave length> ) the wave length of the white is longer than yellow or orange lights and it helps us see further. I may be wrong and it could be more complicated, but this might be right. From my experice, even my $20 HID light from ebay lasted longer and safer to drive at night, in the rain or snow since it's brighter than the original ones. Hope that the similar lights will help your light last longer.<p>bungo
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bundy:
I purchased my HID white ones at eBay for about $20 (including shipping) and never had any problems with it. <hr></blockquote><p>If you bought $20 lights from ebay they're NOT HID. They're supposed to simulate HID bulbs and usually dont last as long as stock bulbs.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bundy:
From my experice, even my $20 HID light from ebay lasted longer and safer to drive at night, in the rain or snow since it's brighter than the original ones.
bungo
<hr></blockquote><p>The blue paint blocks a certain (high) percentage of light, so how are they brighter???<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
your2slow

Post by your2slow »

LOL. Hey Jamik_69. Looks like your issue has side tracked a bit. :D :D
Anyways to your first post <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> hi im having a problem with headlight bulbs they keep on burning out im using the eurolight fusion
xenon bulbs. im using the rite bulb number and when i install them i dont touch the glass but they keep burning out has any one experinced this before or have any suggestions and im not going to switch to hid's or buy piaa bulbs i just want help with these bulbs thank you <hr></blockquote>
I had the same issue with mine and I got so pissed i took it in for a checkup...the Guy that checked it said there was a wiring issue. Something about the wires not grounded properly or something like that. Don't quote me on that i really cant remeber to much on what he said, but it was wiring for me. Hope that helps a bit. Sorry for the lack of info.
KL-ZE, Custom Intake, Apex Lowering Springs, and more to come this year.

Toronto Mx-3 Club
My Cardomain Site
UoMDeacon

Post by UoMDeacon »

I'm not so sure I follow your reasoning...<p>White light itself does not have a 'wavelength' since it's the composite of all visible wavelengths. Maybe the perceived brightness increase comes from the different reflectivity properties that we usually see versus the normal more yellow tinged headlights.<p>My question is, it just seems to me that my headlights don't seem very bright. I really don't care about if it looks blue or not, I just want something safer for me. I don't have much cash to spend right now, so what's the best way for me to increase my night-time visibility? Should I just go to the autoparts store and pick up some new MX-3 headlights? Or something along the lines of getting special bulbs? Thanks for your help guys.<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bundy:
As I mentioned, I'm not mechanic, but I'm about a semester away to be engineer. The white light looks brighter probably because (I have not checked the exact figures <what are visible are in the range of 0.1 - 1 micro meter in wave length> ) the wave length of the white is longer than yellow or orange lights and it helps us see further. I may be wrong and it could be more complicated, but this might be right. From my experice, even my $20 HID light from ebay lasted longer and safer to drive at night, in the rain or snow since it's brighter than the original ones. Hope that the similar lights will help your light last longer.<p>bungo<hr></blockquote>
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by UoMDeacon:
<p>My question is, it just seems to me that my headlights don't seem very bright. I really don't care about if it looks blue or not, I just want something safer for me. I don't have much cash to spend right now, so what's the best way for me to increase my night-time visibility? <hr></blockquote><p>Get a heavy duty wiring harness for a H4 bulb system. All you would have to do is change the connector to the bulb from H4 to 9004.<p>1.) You can buy one (eBay has crappy quality but cheap prices, or get a "Painless" kit).<p>Painless Heavy Duty H4 Harness<p>This painless kit is a VERY good kit and will give you the best results, as well as let you run higher watter bulbs in the future if you want.<p>2.) Make your own. This site is for a 93 Probe, but it would be exactly the same as us.<p>Probe Wiring<p>~A<p>[ January 17, 2003: Message edited by: Aiden ]</p>
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

I want to get to the point of this post. My light bulbs died a couple of times before, and I switched them with the ones sold at eBay. The retail of those were like $49 or something, but since it was eBay, there are so many vendors there, and the price is really low due to the fact that those vendors do not need the store to sell them. What I got was from Japan and it had some kind of gas or something in it if I remember right. <p>As long as the blue ones (the one I tried), the case of the bulbs said it's ??% brighter than the original ones. I tried it and it was about the same. <p>I'd say the one I got helps me a lot. It looks really nice and I can see further at night. I found the similar one at Ebay and the following is the link.<p>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1876839924&category=33710<p>I think this kind of bulbs cost about twice more (in my neighborhood), and I just like it. I hope I got plenty of money to spend, but my budget was limited.<p>bungo<p>
Correction:
I'm sorry that I did not understand the HID systems. As I read more about it, the ones called HID are not coming from just bulbs. I appologize if I confused someone.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

One more thing about the lights.<p>The lights in my bedroom dies like once a month. It has 4 lights with ceiling fant on it. I swiched the bulbs with lower wattage and it lasts longer than the previous ones. It's a little darker, but better than replacing lights every other weeks. <p>They used to die when I turn on the lights. Before they die, they get so bright once and I hear the small noise and die. As someone mentioned, it could be the ground wires, but for people like me, I would ask the mechanic when I have the oil change next time. Usually, they check those staff for free.<p>Since it's not happening on the car, it may not help you, but just for the info.<p>bungo

Return to “Appearance”