my catalytic converter reeks

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
closer

my catalytic converter reeks

Post by closer »

I had my catalytic converter replaced earlier this year... had no guts in the car... apparently converter was totally clogged... like new with replacement... lots of zip!<P>_but_<P>it reeks... I mean really reeks... smells like someone's burning sulphur after shutting it down... really ly in my garage when I pull in at night... but also stinks outside wherever I go... <P>I'm worried it is backwashing into my car... come to think of it, I've been really sick with a throat "problem" since shortly after the replacement... <P>anyone else experienced this?<BR>are all replacement converters supposed to reek like this? <P>don't know how much longer I can stand it... I thought it was initial burnoff at first and mechanic said it was just what some companies were using in their converters...
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Re: my catalytic converter reeks

Post by cjthor »

Usually the "rotten egg" smell means that your catalytic converter is bad. If I were you I would take it to another shop and see if they can tell if the converter is defective.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
closer

Re: my catalytic converter reeks

Post by closer »

Thanks, I'll try that... <P>I got my snowblower back from my small engine guy the other day and he suggested that I may be running too rich... especially with the rotten egg, sulphur smell I'm getting... and that I should check with my mech and see if an adjustment there will help the cause... <P>otherwise I think there's a full year's warranty on the CatConverter so a replacement should be in order...

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”