3d gamerz

Off-Topic Discussions

3d gamerz

Post by Guest »

anyone seent the previews for halflife2? literally reinventing the first person shotter. heres a link to a good site: http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/weapons/ <p>Ill already have plans to spend about $700 on upgrades to play this game to its full extent. Theres a 20min(500mb) video on kaazaa.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: 3d gamerz

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

personally im waiting for another upgrade, my 9700pro and athlon 1900+ will hold me off until then anyway. <p>Besides, why would i wanna spend money on something that im either not gonna use all summer and be cheeper to buy when i need it, or buy something that will encourage me to stay indoors...its MX-3 Season, Baby!<p>Well, that plus i wanna wait until HL2 and Doom3 come out to decide on what video card to get, and get an Opteron upgrade at the same time
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project

Post by Guest »

ya man im talking about september/october when the game comes out to do this, **** my car is priority right now too!" :p This is my system and what Im gonna upgrade too:<p>P3 800Mhz>P4 2.0Ghz
384MB ram>512MB ram
geforce4 440>geforce4 ti 4800 or geforcefx
soundblaster16>soundblaster audigy<p>thats about it for now, that video card will handle anything on the game scene today with ease, i know theres a new card that supposed to be coming out but I dont know when and how much, I dont want to go overboard, that set up will do me atleast a year.<p>If you upgrade your processor go pentium man, i know they are more expensive but you'll notice a big difference. I used to have a AMDk5(500mhz) i think it was called and my parents had a p3(500mhz) theres was so much faster and smoother.<p>Just doing some reading, ATI cards look to have more power then the nvidia cards. I think Ill look into one of those. How much did you pay for your 9700pro??<p>[ June 17, 2003: Message edited by: sureshiit ]</p>
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sureshiit:
ya man im talking about september/october when the game comes out to do this, **** my car is priority right now too!" :p This is my system and what Im gonna upgrade too:<p>P3 800Mhz>P4 2.0Ghz
384MB ram>512MB ram
geforce4 440>geforce4 ti 4800 or geforcefx
soundblaster16>soundblaster audigy<p>thats about it for now, that video card will handle anything on the game scene today with ease, i know theres a new card that supposed to be coming out but I dont know when and how much, I dont want to go overboard, that set up will do me atleast a year.<p>If you upgrade your processor go pentium man, i know they are more expensive but you'll notice a big difference. I used to have a AMDk5(500mhz) i think it was called and my parents had a p3(500mhz) theres was so much faster and smoother.<p>Just doing some reading, ATI cards look to have more power then the nvidia cards. I think Ill look into one of those. How much did you pay for your 9700pro??<p>[ June 17, 2003: Message edited by: sureshiit ]
<hr></blockquote><p>Older AMDs are a completley different architecture than the new AMD CPU's. The AMD Barton Processors are pretty slick. Plus, You'll save a load when buying a new CPU. Id suggest maybe getting an Nforce2 SPP chipset. Ram is cheap currently , so may as well load up on it.
Get GOOD memory. CAS 2 would be the better choice. You can get cheaper memeory, but for performance and stability, get good memory. <p>A good source for parts is www.pricewatch.com<p>Newegg.com and Mwave.com are 2 I deal with frequently. They may not always be the cheapest, but I can commend them on their customer service. Their prices are always competitive and much lower than most retail and online stores. <p>the cheapest u can get a 9700 pro is $273 shipped<p>Id suggest a Geforce4 Ti4800SE cheapest price is arounnd 145 bucks. Performance wise, its very close to the 9700 Pro.<p>Heres a review
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/gf4ti4800se/index.html<p>Heres where you can get it for 145 bucks.
http://www.pricewatch.com/s/b.asp?d=3721641

Post by Guest »

ya i was reading the reviews, comparing the ATI 9700 and the gforce4800, the ati was ahead in everything but ya price wise im better off with the gforce. <p>and thats good to here about AMD, I was dissapointed with there earlier performance.<p>Thanks for all the info man!<p>Heres my shopping list so far:<p>AMD Athlon XP 2800 "barton" 2.08GHZ $178.00
ASUS motherboard $129.99
Gainward Geforce4 Ti4800 $152.99
Creative Labs Audigy $64.00
128MB Ram-whatever the price is at the time<p>When the time comes(september) Ill re-check the prices and run them buy my computer guy and see what he can do for me.<p>[ June 17, 2003: Message edited by: sureshiit ]</p>
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sureshiit:
If you upgrade your processor go pentium man, i know they are more expensive but you'll notice a big difference. I used to have a AMDk5(500mhz) i think it was called and my parents had a p3(500mhz) theres was so much faster and smoother.<hr></blockquote><p>
Bah, I wouldnt touch Intel unless i had too :D <p>My Systems:<p>1) Athlon 1900+, 1Gb DDR 2700, Radeon 9700Pro, MSI K7N2L (Gaming Rig)
2) Athlon 1600+, 512MB PC-133, AIW Radeon 7500, ECS K7SEM, 802.11b+ Card (CarPC)
3) Athlon 650, 384MB Pc-133, Asus K7M, Voodoo5 5000 32MB, (Server)
4) Duron 750, 512MB DDR 2100, ECS K7S5A, Voodoo5 5500 64MB ("Sisters" Rig
5) Intel Thinkpad Laptop, P2 366Mhz, 802.11b Card ("Parents" Rig)<p>I bought my Radeon 9700pro the week it was available in Canada not though ATi (why buy it though ATi when i get a discount through work). I cant find my receipt, but i paid C$599, with tax that came to C$688.65 with tax and my discount.<p>[ June 17, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
Dephekt

Post by Dephekt »

I definately cant wait for HL2 or Doom 3 to come out. I'll be doing a nice big video card upgrade then. Right now this is what I'm running:<p>Azus motherboard
Pentium 4 1.3 ghz
1 gig of DDR (the board can take up to 3 gigs!)
Radeon 7000 64 MB DDR video card (not much, but it gets the job done fine with todays games)
Soundblaster Audigy
60 GB hard drive running Win XP Pro<p>Here are some pics:
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

you cant compare a k6-2(3) 500 mhz to a pentium 3 500 mhz. K6-2 (3) is the equiv (actually faster) or a pentium 2. Athlon is pentium 3 equiv (or better) and new tbirds and such are p4 equiv... either way, I would go amd any day, for the price it blows pentiums away and are just as fast.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03

Post by Guest »

Ya man we clarified that, my first computer was AMD, i went to pentium because I liked how my parents ran, now barry informed me of the improvments in AMD's technology. So ya Im going AMD all the way. <p>PS: go to kazza and search doom3 for a leaked demo version, I got it running but it was more like a slide show if ya know what I mean.
Dephekt

Post by Dephekt »

I've been trying to get the demo. So its got a really bad frame rate? Some guy was telling me it ran fine on a 64 MB card, I was like "what the hell!?!?"
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Get a MINIMUM of 512M DDR CAS2. 128M is gonna make your PC run like crap.

Post by Guest »

Ya man frame rate is pretty damn bad, its a demo so keep that in mind, but ya Ive never had a problem with any game on my setup till now, which I already knew would happen which is why I have the upgrades planned out.<p>After playing the d3 demo today, a little better frame rate with changed settings, I have mixed feelings about it. Amazing detail, shadows, BLOOD, but the environments arent very interactive. I still think its awesome but HL2 I think is gonna be alot better.<p>Barry was that for me about the 128MB ram? I already have 384MB, Id just be rounding it off to 512MB. But Im still gonna look into either, 1G stick or 2 512 Sticks. Also I know this is a laim question but whats the difference between, sdr and ddr? Single and double? Im assuming though that ddr is better? Im not even sure what I have, probably sdr.<p>Thanks<p>[ June 18, 2003: Message edited by: sureshiit ]</p>
phr34k

Post by phr34k »

you guys have to upgrade your pcs?<p>im thinking i need to spend more on my car then my pc<p>currently running
intel p4 3.06 with hyperthreading
1024 DDR 333
gf4 ti 4600 (soon upgraded to the new ati)
audigy 2 sound card
dual 19" flat screens
watercooled case
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Also I know this is a laim question but whats the difference between, sdr and ddr? Single and double? Im assuming though that ddr is better? Im not even sure what I have, probably sdr.<hr></blockquote><p>SDR Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory, Your PC-66, PC-133, PC-133 PC-150 RAM, Common in AMD K6-2, K6's, Pentium 2's and Pentium 3's, Early Slot Athlon, and Durons/Athlons/P4's with El Cheepo Motherboards<p>Whats funny is that DDR is actually called DDRSDR - Double Data Rate Synchronous Dynamic Random Access Memory. Computers work in clock cycles, 0's and 1's in pulses, going from a 0 (off) to a 1(on) back to a 0 is 1 clock cycle<p>Image<p>What SDR does, and RAMBUS as well, is that is only sends data on the posivite part of the pulse (going from a 0 to 1), RAMBUS is the same way but alot quicker. DDR, as its called double data rate, sends data on the positive part of the pulse, as well as the negative (going from a 1 to a 0), but both the RAM and the CPU need to support sending and receiving information on that negative edge pulse<p>So DDR uses Efficiency while RAMBUS uses plain Speed<p>[ June 18, 2003: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</p>

Post by Guest »

awesome man thanks for the info! HEres some doom shots I took, renders good, just bad frame rate.<p>Image<p>Image<p>Image<p>[ June 18, 2003: Message edited by: sureshiit ]</p>

Return to “Off-Topic”