rear defroster , and i have searched for an answer

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
mx3optidrive

Re: rear defroster , and i have searched for an answer

Post by mx3optidrive »

The relay is under the dash on the driver's side almost directly in front of the fuse box. I think that there are 3 or 4 relays in a row, not attached to each other and to remove it all you have to do is pull down hard. The relay is, I think, the 2nd back from the firewall just listen for the clicking if it still is clicking. Hope this helps .
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
mazda_stud

Post by mazda_stud »

I had same the problem it turned out that the relay was clicking but not latching. went out and bought a aftermarket heavey duty latching relay and in worked just like the day it should of worked when I bought the car!<BR>hope this helps.
LIFE IS A HIGHWAY I WANT TO DRIVE IT ALL NIGHT LONG!
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

The light in the switch is a simple LED, costs a couple bucks from the Mazda dealer, they tell me they go out alot on most models. I never got around to replacing it so I cant say how much trouble it is to do. Doesn't matter anyway, in is on, out is off, real hard,...<P>To troubleshoot the rear defog, 1st step, determine if you have power to the grid. A $5 circut tester (ice-pick with a wire comin out the end & a light in the handle) will work fine. Turn the grid on & poke the connectors to see if you have juice. Go from there. most common thing is the relay, but dont overlook simple corrosion. Unplug the grid connectors, switch, & the relay just to displace any corrosion that may have accumilated in them.<P>I just sold off my car & my shop manual with it, so I'm afraid I cant tell you any locations of hidden components. Most Mazda shop techs will point them out to you if you drop by & ask where things like the fuse/circut breaker & relay are. They may even know a little secret they can let you in on, not uncommon,... It sure couldn't hurt to ask.<BR>Good luck everyone.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
doxter

Post by doxter »

i needed to jump start my mx 3 today and since then the rear defogger and rear wiper dont work anyone else had the wiper problem? any ideas???
LiL-LaW

Post by LiL-LaW »

The rear wiper dosen't actually run off the wiper fuse, I believe it runs off the room fuse, I am pretty sure it's a 15A try that.
marius

Post by marius »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx3optidrive:
The relay is under the dash on the driver's side almost directly in front of the fuse box. I think that there are 3 or 4 relays in a row, not attached to each other and to remove it all you have to do is pull down hard. The relay is, I think, the 2nd back from the firewall just listen for the clicking if it still is clicking. Hope this helps .<hr></blockquote><p>Can somebody show me a pic of this?
I want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing.
Thanks.
precida94

Post by precida94 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by marius:
<p>Can somebody show me a pic of this?
I want to make sure I'm looking at the right thing.
Thanks.
<hr></blockquote><p>Im having the exact same problem and its too cold right now to check the relays and all but i would also like a pic to see if im checking out the right stuff? Thanks a lot guys, read all the above and seems to be very helpful any other info would be great!!
mx3optidrive

Post by mx3optidrive »

If you push the button in and hear the relay clicking then all you have to do is follow the previous instructions and you can find the right relay by placing your hand or fingerson each relay while pushing the button and you should be able to feel the relay latching.<p>If you do not hear the relay latching then you could also take it to a Mazda dealer and they should be able to show you or tell you where it is in greater detail.
Good luck guys.
Shop 506-577-6708
cell 506-381-3503
email danny@jdracing.ca
precida94

Post by precida94 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by mx3optidrive:
If you push the button in and hear the relay clicking then all you have to do is follow the previous instructions and you can find the right relay by placing your hand or fingerson each relay while pushing the button and you should be able to feel the relay latching.<p>If you do not hear the relay latching then you could also take it to a Mazda dealer and they should be able to show you or tell you where it is in greater detail.
Good luck guys.
<hr></blockquote><p>Thanks. The relay is clicking, that I know for sure, just like you said, gotta follow it. Ok so when I do follow it to the right relay, should I try taking it on then in, and see if that works, then if not, replacing it. And if that doesnt work? I guess I will, come back here. :) Thanks again!<p>Claudio
mattkm

Post by mattkm »

I am also having the same problem with my rear defrosternot working, so today I checked the relay. And sure enough...the plug was melted. So I was wondering...what might cause this? Is it dangerous to buy a new relay and just plug it back in? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”