tips?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Ateana

tips?

Post by Ateana »

Anyone have any tips for making the task of removing the drive shafts easier.. bearing in mind the engine is coming out... and basically my whole engine bay is gutted... except the engine tranny drive shafts and charcoal canister :) .
Management is not responsible for lost or stolen virginities.

White 94 Mx-3 BP
Black 93 Mx-3 Kl-De
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Re: tips?

Post by mx3TT »

On my car, the axel on the pass side slid out really easy. But the drivers side was a different story. I had to pry on it a little bit but your best bet it to try to keep it as straight as possible on the way out. Thats all that seemed to help for me.
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
LongJohn

Post by LongJohn »

I couldn't get those 32mm nuts off, so I pulled the entire strut assemblies out to get the shafts out of the tranny. I also had to pry them out. You can get a flat prybar right against the tranny housing and pry against the metal part of the axle.

Someone on the Protege forum just cut some clips that holds the 2 pieces of the axles together, so he had part of the axles sticking out of his tranny, and the other parts still in the engine bay. You would want to do more research before trying this. I would be concerned about how to put the axles back together.
Ateana

Post by Ateana »

I guess i should have said that the engine is coming out the driveshafts are useless in the new setup.. goin KLZE baby :) but the driveshafts only have 50,000 on them so i should be able to trade or sell them so yeah i would prefer to get them off intact. my problem is with the lock nut on the hub and also getting the steering arm off.i undid the nut but i cant get the arm out..perhaps i need to take **** off :) I gotta say that taking stuff apart in a way that you dont damage anything is harder then re-assembly by far

White 94 Mx-3 BP
Black 93 Mx-3 Kl-De
Calkidd

Post by Calkidd »

With the nut off you can take a wooden dowel and hit it with hammer on the end of the shaft. That will push out the shaft from the hub.
Ateana

Post by Ateana »

I will try that for now i have to wait till i get my pay check so i can barter an engine hoist for a case of ex and well i gotta get a ratchet big enough to fit that monster nut on the hub :p i gotta say im liking the progress sofar. If i can find a cheap BPT i would prefer to go that route but the klze is cheaper at this point. oh and if anyone has any ideas about where i can get some v6 mounts for a reasonable price let me know. (corksports 465US is a little unreasonable). and also the best JDM source i have found sofar is jdmsource.ca however if you guys have any good suggestions.. Im all ears

<small>[ December 14, 2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Ed ]</small>

White 94 Mx-3 BP
Black 93 Mx-3 Kl-De

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”