The rattle in the doors!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Zim_Zim

The rattle in the doors!

Post by Zim_Zim »

Hey again guys!..

I've got a rattle in both the drivers and passenger doors..its annoying, but it seems like I can get it to go away a bit when I fiddle with the window handle :sadwavey:
guyaverage

Re: The rattle in the doors!

Post by guyaverage »

I had rattling in the doors too. Its was the rod that went from the door latch to the handle. There are little plastic clips that hold them to the door to keep them from vibrating, mine had cracked and were allowing the rods to vibrate. I put a small piece of foam rubber behind each one and it took care of it. You may have something similar going on. You can get foam rubber with adhesive backing on it at Lowes/Home Depot etc, its used for weatherstripping windows, doors, etc. Its cheap.

The window handles can usually be gently (but firmly) snapped off if you can get a large flat-head screwdriver behind it. There are usually metal wire clips holding them on, it will make sense once you get one off. They just snap back on.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
mx3TT
Supporting Member

Post by mx3TT »

I think the window crank is held on by an e-clip. Pull it out a tiny bit and see if you can see behind it.

<small>[ November 13, 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: mx3TT ]</small>
Chris

MY MX-3 PICTURES
MX-3.com's online store - SUPPORT MX-3.COM
mykel78

Post by mykel78 »

yeah, it is held on with a little wire c-clip. You can barely see it bu pushing the door panel in a little a dn pulling the handle out. I always used a pick set or a small screwdriver to push/pull out the clip and then the handle comes right off. When reinstalling, you may put the clip on the handle, then push the handle back in place. The clip should click right into place.
you have a screw on the outside edge of the panel and one in the handle by the lock (pull out the trim plate), passenger side has one under the pull bar (?) driver side one in the little grip cup-handle thing. The rest is little popping tabs, and pull it up out of the window.

Don't remove the doors, just the panels.
Does the noise happen when the windows are up, or at all heights?
If not broke - don't fix, modify. If broke - fix it right, and make it better.
Zim_Zim

Post by Zim_Zim »

this happens when the windows are up, it happens worse when they are partially down. it's basically all the time the doors make noise. i definately know it needs to be clipped in better 'cuz the top part of the door i can push it in more and it just pops back out, a clip is loose or something. something inside is rattling too, like a rod or something. this is on both sides, driver side worse, but passenger side catching up. i gotta do this soon its gonna be too cold soon.
mykel78

Post by mykel78 »

yeah, you may wanna get on the ball!
I'd suggest taking off the panel, then maybe shake the door, or tap against the inside panel of it, to find that rattle. You'll probably find the clip that's messing up while you're taking off the door panel. Good luck with it
If not broke - don't fix, modify. If broke - fix it right, and make it better.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”