Can I take off my ugly heat shield

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
rukick

Can I take off my ugly heat shield

Post by rukick »

1.8 SOHC in an mx3 - I want to take off the heat shield and grind off the mounting brackets on the exhaust headers. I am also thinking about having them ceramic coated if it does not cost too much. If I do this will the heat melt the plastic on the fan or something? Why is it there and can I just get rid of it?
By the way I really do appreciate all the help I get here. Thanks
Turbo 94 Protege LX
dj inferno

Re: Can I take off my ugly heat shield

Post by dj inferno »

i took mine off, idk bout the mounting brakets tho, ceramic coating i believ is just gonna keep them cooler (not sur tho), and my radiator fan hasn't melted yet...
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

ceramic coating will keep them cooler but it wont be as cheap as you might think it is. ive bought set of headers for my charger ceramic coated for $400 pretty expensive but thats was "great deal" theyre usually $600-$750
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
ryanlindenberg

Post by ryanlindenberg »

yea your fan won't melt or anything...the header will look pretty crappy though because it will probably be corroded pretty bad...unless you ceramic coat it like you said.
CARDOMAIN WITH UPDATED PICS
"There are 2 kinds of pedestrians, the quick and the dead."
rukick

Post by rukick »

Thanks for the info. If ceramic coating in too expensive then I might just paint it.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
Yoda

Post by Yoda »

Ceramic coating shouldn't cost that much. There is a place I deal with in S. Ont that would charge about CN$200 in the part comes in clean and rust free. There is a company in western Canada the is about the same price per item but have a $500 min invoice policy. So unless you have several items to do at the same time you get hit with the minimum invoice charge and not the price per part.
What

Post by What »

Holy cow, you guys are getting hosed on the coating. For a turbo header at topguncoatings here in Calgary last one I did was under $80CDN.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Shop I worked in in Calgary a few years back, we got an entire GTO frame powder coated at TopGun for $800CDN. Somethin's goin on out east.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
johnboi85

Post by johnboi85 »

what does the heat shield really do? does it really repel heat? if i take it out will it harm my car performance wise?
bp mx-3
guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

The heat shield is an attempt at reducing underhood temperatures by keeping the exhaust heat in the pipes and exhaust airflow, and to keep anything close from burning from the heat.It does help but its not absolutely necessary to have it there.

It also helps protect from thermal shock, such as when you go thru a puddle on a cold day and the cold water hits the hot pipes it can crack them. I have heard of this happening, but have never seen it. I'm sure it doesnt happen too often.

You should be ok to remove it.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”