Belt Problem Wont Go Away

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
large member

Belt Problem Wont Go Away

Post by large member »

My Mx-3 has been squeking since the time i first got the car. So i brought it to a mechanic and he said that a bearing in the water pump is putting extra load on the belt so i had it replaced along with new belts and timeing belt. Then i thought it was gone and all was well. UNTILL!! it came back the dreded squek now worse than ever. I am getting so angry i am ready to kill the car can someone please help me out!!!!! :froggie_red:
peace
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: Belt Problem Wont Go Away

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Your description is a little vague and no mention of model so not sure which of these might apply...

1) Squeak?? I'm assuming engine bay and with engine running is the area and condition you're talking about. Buy an inexpensive mechanic's type stethoscope from any decently stocked autoparts store and isolate the source of the noise that way.

2) Or more prolonged squealing like a belt slipping? Drive belt tension can require follow-up adjustment as they stretch a bit after they've been on the car a little while. Seems especially true of 4 cyl DOHC MX-3 alternator belt. Others have complained of a difficult-to-adjust belt tension and I usually adjust a new alternator belt 2-3 times, several days apart after installing a new one.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

It's gonna be the alternator belt or power steering belt.
since it is new probably gonna have to adjust it acouple of times before it goes away (unless u just bought the cheapy belts)
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

you usually have to retighten belts once you put them on after some driving, if you did that and it still squeaks try putting some soap on it, should help
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
large member

Post by large member »

Thanks for the info i will try these solutions as soon as i have time then i will post the results
peace

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”