Pulleys for SOHC?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
manowar821
Supporting Member

Pulleys for SOHC?

Post by manowar821 »

Is there such a thing? Like maybe those from unothodox racing?

I wish there was more to do for the SOHC...
rukick

Re: Pulleys for SOHC?

Post by rukick »

The underdrive crank pulley that UR made for the 1.8 SOHC protege dx engine will work for the 1.6 sohc mx3 with some modifications. You will need to change out the pulley on the alt. and the water pump to the ones off the protege dx(not real hard to do.) They use a different belt type. Go to junk yard and get the pullies for a few bucks. The hardest part about this operation is finding a new belt that will fit (trial and error). I have the part number for this UR pulley around here some place if you want it.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
manowar821
Supporting Member

Post by manowar821 »

Rukick, thanks a lot. I would love that product number as well.
So the one for the 1.6 dohc mx-3 will NOT work?
I looked around on mx-3.com and saw that some people say they use the sohc pro pulley, and some say the dohc mx3 pulley.
I suppose I should really find a junk yard around here, haha.. I plan on getting the TB off a pro LX too.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

check on ebay i just saw some underdrive pulleys for mx3
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
rukick

Post by rukick »

The last 4 #'s on the pulley that I have are 0303. That should be all that they need at UR. I was told that the 1.6 DOHC mx3 engines have different types of pulleys depending on when they were made. Mazda switched them from 2 serpentine belts to 1 v belt and 1 serpentine belt in the middle of production. So the UR pulley for that engine will not fit some of the older engines. I have not verified this info. It might even be the same UR part number for the 1.6 DOHC 94 mx3 and the 1.8 SOHC protege dx. I have talked to UR many times about this and they are not even sure what pulley will fit what year engine.

<small>[ October 24, 2004, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: rukick ]</small>
Turbo 94 Protege LX
rukick

Post by rukick »

I just looked at the 2 listings on eBay. I know for a fact that the information on the one being sold by "hmoi84" is wrong. The other one being sold by "delubozparts" is a pulley that I have never seen before. It looks like it might fit on a 1.6 SOHC without changing any other pulleys because it uses 2 serpentine belts. The way to be sure is to measure the key opening on your stock pulley and then find out what the eBay one measures. Be sure before you buy anything. I wasted a few bucks and several days of my life trying to find a pulley for my 1.6 SOHC. The 1.8 SOHC pulley that I mentioned before is the only way that I know will work.
Turbo 94 Protege LX
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

i'm almost positive the 1.3, 1.6 and 1.8 SOHC and DOHC engine (in other words all B-series engines) have the same pulley.

Only difference is some use ribbed and some us V belts for the a/c & power steering, but the UR pulley's always are made with ribbed...so no worries there.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
rukick

Post by rukick »

That is absolutely not true. I had to go through major headaches to find the right one for my 1.6 SOHC. Just take a look at the UR website. They have a different pulley for many of the B series engines, and the differences are not just in the belt types.

<small>[ October 25, 2004, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: rukick ]</small>
Turbo 94 Protege LX

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”