protege or pro lx....

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Domnknpimp

protege or pro lx....

Post by Domnknpimp »

Ok, my tranny is gone, gonna go ahead and swap it out (why wait)... I keep reading that when changing to the BP or BPT, you need a protege lx tranny... is there a difference between a regular protege's tranny and an lx's tranny? I know nothing about protege's so i must ask....

thanks
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Re: protege or pro lx....

Post by atlantamx3 »

Yep.

The 90-94 Protege LX uses a G-series tranny that is a bit more beefy and I believe has a different gearing ratio.

The regular 90-94 Protege uses an F-series tranny that is also the same one used in the MX-3 RS. (4-cyl).

If you use the LX tranny, you will need the bottom half of the driver side tranny mount as well.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

so if I put a tranny of a regular 1.8 sohc Protege, I'm putting on the exact same tranny I have on my car now?
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

yes
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Joe Carlson

Post by Joe Carlson »

Its going to be the same basic tranny, but i believe that the tranny out of the protege dx has a higher gear ratio. The first bp motor i put in my mx-3 i used the dx tranny, and i could do 73mph in 2nd gear. Now that's higher even that the stock mx-3 tranny, and now i have the lx tranny I can't go much more than 45mph before i need to shift out of 2nd.
92 MX-3 1.8L DOHC BP, 17" Konig wheels, 2.5 exuast, custom CAI, inverted style carbon fiber hood, GT-Combat body kit.
Domnknpimp

Post by Domnknpimp »

damn 73 in second? not bad... i'm guessing its not as strong though?
Joe Carlson

Post by Joe Carlson »

Yeah they're not as strong, and with a higher gear ratio, it makes for a slower take off, but a better top end speed, and better if you plan on putting your mx-3 on the high way alot, b/c now since i have the protege lx tranny, in 5th gear going 75, the motor is at 4,000 RPM's, where as before i was only about 2,800 RPM's which is easier on the motor, and fuel milage. Joe
92 MX-3 1.8L DOHC BP, 17" Konig wheels, 2.5 exuast, custom CAI, inverted style carbon fiber hood, GT-Combat body kit.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”