Belt continually slips

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Exit 716

Belt continually slips

Post by Exit 716 »

My wife's 95 has had its alternator replaced in the last two weeks. Prior to that we had the serpentine belt replaced it subsequently snapped, leading the mechanic to suggest replacing the alternator.
After getting the car back with the new altenator the car ran fine for about three days then the annoying squealing sound returned.
Subsequently I took the car back into the garage where the belt was tightened.
It ran fine for a week.
This morning when my wife started the car, the squealing sound was back again.
It was cold this morning.
Would that be the cause?
Is this a common problem for most MX-3 cars?
Do I need a better mechanic (umm I think the answer to that one is probably yes).

Any thoughts about what could be causing this annoying problem?
Thanks
Typhoonk

Re: Belt continually slips

Post by Typhoonk »

Probably do a search on this forum for more info.

But from my experience and other peoples, only the OEM belts from the dealer work. Everything else is cheap and stretches to much, which causes it to squeel every once in a while.
I'd take it to mazda and get em to do it. People never have the problem after that. Good luck!! :)
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Exit 716

Post by Exit 716 »

Thanks.
That's what my wife and I were discussing actually.
I think we'll hold out on this belt for a while because it's been close to $600 to replace the belt and then the belt and altenator.
h8ter

Post by h8ter »

Exit, I had a similar experience with my 93 RS. It didn't get as far as snapping belts and damaging alternators but it was plenty annoying. I had taken my car into get the timing belt/water pump done and had them change the accessory belts as well (ps & alt). In about 2 weeks time the belts were squealing very loud and it was quite embarassing. Everything they tried to get the noise to quit just wouldn't work. They then began to suggest that one of my bearings was bad and would require more repairs/costs. Well that was enough BS for me, I then followed the advice of our fellow board members and bought myself a set of factory OEM belts. Installed them and have not had the noise return for over a month. Incidentally the OEM belts are mfg by Gates. You can find them at select AutoParts stores and not have to pay the inflated Mazda prices. The most important thing is when you install them to setup the belt deflection correctly (approx. 1/3 in I believe). And double check them the next day as they may have stretched a bit and require re-tensioning. Good luck.

<small>[ October 08, 2004, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: h8ter ]</small>
Ehpl

Post by Ehpl »

I hope this helps did for me! , I had the same super annoying problem for two months straight , I evin bought a new red top optama battery to try to fix the problem ( CONFESSION.. I was just lookin for a excuse though).
Anyway a buddy of mine "reg'ed VW mechanic" he showed me that you dont check for tightness by the reg way .. up an down play way .. but.. ( with short distance syrpintine belts ).. but by twisting the belt rotationaly Using the up an down way I thought my belt was super tight but he showed me he could twist it almost 90 degrees and you should only be able to 45 degrees at the most. I tightened it up to that point an Shaazaaam no more squeeel. Its been squeel free for over a month now.

Eugene L
94 Rs DOHC "Honda owner smile remover"
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552384

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”