Messing around with my 1.6 SOHC - got some cheap HP

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
rukick

Messing around with my 1.6 SOHC - got some cheap HP

Post by rukick »

I have seen some discussion on here about putting a Protege DX 1.8 SOHC computer on the 1.6 MX 3 RS. I tried it and I noticed a small difference. THen I put the old one back in. THen I put a TB from a Protege LX on and agian I noticed a small difference. THen I put the 1.8 computer back on with the new TB and the difference was much more dramatic. I cannot prove it with a dyno but I am thinking the two mods together add atleast 5 hp, and maybe closer to 10. My RS used to lag in axceleration from 2500 to 3500 RPM compared to 1000-2000 and 4000-6000 RPM. now that lag is greatly reduced and there seems to be more power over all too. I think the combination of extra air from the TB and extra fuel from the computer is the reason. I also have extra air coming from a higher flow air filter and cold air intake. I am not sure the difference would be as good without that. Does that sound right to anyone else?

<small>[ September 20, 2004, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: rukick ]</small>
Turbo 94 Protege LX
Marlon

Re: Messing around with my 1.6 SOHC - got some cheap HP

Post by Marlon »

no
use your stock ecu
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

why doesnt it sound good? and whats a "TB"?
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
rukick

Post by rukick »

TB = Throttle Body

Why does that not sound right to you? I asked Derrick at Cork sport and he thought it was a good idea but he suggested also using the injectors from the protege DX too. (Which I have not done yet)
Turbo 94 Protege LX
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

i tried that a while back with the list of mods i have. i swap the ecu out for the protege DX ran it like that for a month nothing really happen no codes or engine screwing up. there was a difference in preformance pick up a lot more,rev a little higher 6600-6700. but i didn't post it cause i didn't feel like getting ridiclued with dumb a$$ remarks. i was testing to see what happen (weekend car) i put the stock ecu back on but never ran it to see if it really made a difference. time wise. laters

Drifter MX-3
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Originally posted by Javier Munoz Jr:
i tried that a while back with the list of mods i have. i swap the ecu out for the protege DX ran it like that for a month nothing really happen no codes or engine screwing up. there was a difference in preformance pick up a lot more,rev a little higher 6600-6700. but i didn't post it cause i didn't feel like getting ridiclued with dumb a$$ remarks. i was testing to see what happen (weekend car) i put the stock ecu back on but never ran it to see if it really made a difference. time wise. laters

Drifter MX-3
Its actually a easy way to raise the redline. Which can be the problem because you woudl be overreving the motor.

There are a lot of pros and ocns for the ECU thing. I intend to do swap a few things around that i dont really wanna make public till I have a solid running model.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
rukick

Post by rukick »

What does it usaully cost to have your car put on a dyno? I checked into that once and I was told $100 bucks. That seemed like a lot to me so I did not have it done. I would like to get some solid numbers for these mods but I am at a loss for how to do that without having to drop a C note every time. Any suggestions?
Turbo 94 Protege LX
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Originally posted by torpedan:
Originally posted by Javier Munoz Jr:

Drifter MX-3
Its actually a easy way to raise the redline. Which can be the problem because you woudl be overreving the motor.

There are a lot of pros and ocns for the ECU thing. I intend to do swap a few things around that i dont really wanna make public till I have a solid running model.
which is why i never made it public on swaping out ecu i thought i waited till someone spit it out didn't think it be that short. when i did it i rarely redlined it pros it had extra power u didn't have to nail it to get speed or speed up a bit. idle was stedy never showing the up and down symdrome. when i hual *** for a while the gas would be suck up like a V8. but when u drive 2000 rpm shifts like a old man was good on gas. toruge streer was a little worse. but these where some of the things i notice when i had it one for a month. laters

Drifter MX-3
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
rukick

Post by rukick »

Well I am tierd of guessing about HP. I went and put my car on a dyno over my lunch break. I got 75.8 whp and 86.6 Torque. The first 2 runs the guy had the AC on and did not notice. THe last run it was off. The car had the 1.8 SOHC ecu in for these runs. I will put the stock ECU back in and do it again later this week. THe guy told me that the Air/Fuel was not the 17.5 that it says on the sheet. He ran a seporate test and got 15. He said that it was too lean. When I told him about the computer he said that he thought swapping ECU's was a bad idea. He says that the ecu thinks the engine is not moving enough air and cuts the amount of fuel way back. He gave me 6 runs for $65.

I have to admit I was hoping for better whp. I saw in a different post that atlantamx3 got 65.7 whp and 70.9 on a 1.6 SOHC that was almost stock. THere is some improvment over that. As far as the ecu question - I will know for sure after the next set of runs.For Dyno Results Click Here

<small>[ September 21, 2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: rukick ]</small>
Turbo 94 Protege LX
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

when you swap ECUs you have to retune the MAF.

We have run a 1.6dohc of a Festiva Computer for a while. (dont ask)
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
rukick

Post by rukick »

Well I am officially full of crap. Many of you probably knew that already but I just found out for sure. I had my car on the dyno again and I went from 75 whp with the 1.8 Protégé ECU to almost 79 whp with the stock ECU. Better air to fuel ratio too. Conclusion - straight 1.8 ecu swap is a bad idea. The guy at the performance shop said that it may have taken awhile for the new ecu to adjust to the new information. That might explain why I thought the car drove better the first day I put the 1.8 ecu in. Anyway I am happy that I have gone from 65whp to almost 80. I hope to have both dyno sheets posted on my web site later today.
my web page

<small>[ September 28, 2004, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: rukick ]</small>
Turbo 94 Protege LX
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

atlantamx3's car is an auto too
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Originally posted by papa roached:
atlantamx3's car is an auto too
Well.. It was at the time of that dyno chart anyway. (just completed the auto->manual conversion) I think that was part of the problem, actually.. . its very hard to get an accurate dyno reading on an auto because you have to trick it into staying in gear, and have a really good dyno guy.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

if your up to 79 at teh wheels thats a gain, stock is 88 at the crank
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
rukick

Post by rukick »

I am happy with 79 whp with the mods that I have. My new engine is being shipped this week. I am going to dyno with every new thing I do. I worked out a deal with the dyno guy for $15 per pull. He also told me that I should try to get my fuel/air ratio under 14. Does that sound right? Does anyone know of a piggyback ecu that will allow you to regulate Fuel/air? I want to do something with this ecu but the only thing that I have found so far is what cork sport does. They told me that they will attach the chip from an rx7 and that will give you more HP.
Turbo 94 Protege LX

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”