Turbo DOHC vs. B6t

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions

Turbo DOHC vs. B6t

Post by 187 »

Hey guys, i Have been searching the boards all day and still cannot find out which swap would be cheaper but still a half decent swap. I have 94 RS with 200 000km on it. I have been planning on swapping in a bpt for some time, but from all I have read, the final bill is bigger than expected. Now I am just thinking about rebuilding my DOHC, then turboing it because I understand with 200k on it, it doesnt have much life left. OR putting in a b6t. Which swap would be better? performace vs cost.
someone please tell me a cost for each swap and pros and cons of each. thanks alot.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Re: Turbo DOHC vs. B6t

Post by nos92mx3 »

Is your RS OBDI or OBDII?
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current

Post by 187 »

I beleive OBDII
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

its a 94 so dont go to a B6T. too much hassle. i would do BPT just because what ever you want to do you have to change your ecu and wiring harness. yep 94 95 is just a B**** that way. well seeing as though you have to rebuild yours motor to use it i would just go BPT. get the 92-93 wiring harness.

either way the BPT you will get the best resaults for your money. and will be around 1200 USD. to do your self. it will be almost the same for the B6T the main differance is with the B6T you need to make clearance for the intake manafold in the hood. most cut the hood and put in a hood scoop. and with BPT you need new axles and half shaft. so you can take your pic. BPT would be nicer.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

you only need new axles/jack-shaft if you go with the pro lx tranny.

there is no "cheap" route. you can rebuild your b6 and put on the b6t setup, or get a custom setup. this way you can keep your wiring and use a piggy-back system. the only problem with this is you are limited on tuning ability.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Josh
Supporting Member

Post by Josh »

pigy back systems dont work properly on a 94-95. its easer to swap the wiring harness. they only partial throttel or full no in between. there are some who have like the AFC hooked up. but it doesent work exactly how it should.

im tellign you the money you will put into your B6 turnign it into a turbo, you should just buy a BPT.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

Originally posted by Josh:
pigy back systems dont work properly on a 94-95.
Originally posted by OsoSlo z28:
this way you can keep your wiring and use a piggy-back system. the only problem with this is you are limited on tuning ability.
yeah, i think i covered that. :D
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”