SOHC and DOHC tranny the same?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jumboplay

SOHC and DOHC tranny the same?

Post by jumboplay »

Topic as question. I'm hitting the junkyard and gonna try to hunt down another one. So sick of syncro problems (my fault but damn it, what can I do now?). And a post that just came up said that certain types of gear oil eat the syncros? Anyone know, damn it I've love to hear about that!
-Tom J, proud MX-3 pilot-
Get your entertainment upgraded at http://www.tommyv2.com

1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted Mazda crystal white, ZX-2+Eibach, Miglia Spyder 17"s, markerflash, black altezzas, insane fuel economy, too many other mods to list...
jumboplay

Re: SOHC and DOHC tranny the same?

Post by jumboplay »

Oh I forgot to ask...is there another car's transmission I could use? Mine's a 96 DOHC. Some sort of Protege or something? Thanks again guys.
-Tom J, proud MX-3 pilot-
Get your entertainment upgraded at http://www.tommyv2.com

1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted Mazda crystal white, ZX-2+Eibach, Miglia Spyder 17"s, markerflash, black altezzas, insane fuel economy, too many other mods to list...
jaydog5678

Post by jaydog5678 »

Sucks to have transaxle problems, I know. :(

Make sure the gearoil your using dosen't contain any sulfur. If I understand right, it was reccomended not to use Mobil 1 in some of the earlier G series v-6 transaxles. The PGT guys were complaining about problems when using Mobil. As far as the F series, like the one in your case, I would'nt know if sulfur would contaminate your trans. Perhaps Mazda changed the bronze/brass parts to better materials? A bit more expensive, Red Line oils have NO sulfur, and was highly reccomended by many racers/auto techs alike. I'd try that first.

A 95 Protege trans will bolt directly to the b6 block, however the gearing is slightly taller. You can still use the Mx-3's clutch and flywheel.
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

the sohc tranny uses a long axle on the passanger side. and the dohc tranny uses a half shaft axle on the passanger side they look pretty much the same driver side axle just different axles on the passnager side. but i face a friend who is going to see if the DOHC tranny will fit on the sohc engine. laters

Drifter
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the jack-shaft does not concern the tranny, just the year of the car. the jack-shaft bolts to the back of the block, so a sohc motor will not have these. you can use the 92-93 axles on any year mx3, but not vise versa
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Originally posted by OsoSlo z28:
the jack-shaft does not concern the tranny, just the year of the car. the jack-shaft bolts to the back of the block, so a sohc motor will not have these. you can use the 92-93 axles on any year mx3, but not vise versa
have u check into that before i have both RS's SOHC/DOHC. We look into both of them maybe it will fit maybe it won't who knows tranny bolts up from the last update i heard. I have a 94 driver side axle on my 93 so VISE VERSA my @$$ passanger side thats a different story. laters

Drifter MX-3
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
David Witherow

Post by David Witherow »

the 92-93 axles have a smaller diameter shaft that goes into the tranny....you can use them on any year mx as long as they are an F tranny if you put in a G tranny you need to get axles from a V6 mx or protege or mx-6
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

vise versa my @$$? wow, the maturity of this board keeps getting lower. this was in reference to the passenger side as i was talking about the jack-shaft etc. i'll just leave it at that, you can take it for what it's worth.

it's a proven fact that you can use the sohc PASSENGER side axle with the 94+ cars.

<small>[ August 18, 2004, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: OsoSlo z28 ]</small>
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Ashley knows his $hit... Listen to him.

:2thumbsup:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

Originally posted by OsoSlo z28:
vise versa my @$$? wow, the maturity of this board keeps getting lower. this was in reference to the passenger side as i was talking about the jack-shaft etc. i'll just leave it at that, you can take it for what it's worth.

it's a proven fact that you can use the sohc PASSENGER side axle with the 94+ cars.
ur right am wrong as for the bolt pattren that the sohc block does not have it does have. but like u said the maturity keeps getting lower i simple don't want to comtribite to that facter. I'll just leave it at that. ur right am wrong and like some other guy said u know ur **** i should listen.

Drifter MX-3
luis castro

Post by luis castro »

ok, the guy javier was talking about is me. i took a tranny off of a 94 dohc and i'm going to put it in my 92 sohc. hopefully i should get my car back on sat. i will post up any info regarding this topic. it does look exactly the same tho. so far, no probs. oh yeah, thanx javier, you hooked it up bro. if you need anything, just ask man.
save a lung, smoke a honda.
luis castro

Post by luis castro »

ok, i got my car back today. the tranny is the same and it fits. there is some slight diffrence ( bolts ). you will have extra bolts. obviously, the dohc block is diffrent from the sohc but other then that, everything bolts up perfect.
save a lung, smoke a honda.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”