exhaust problem...plz help

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
cooper_9

exhaust problem...plz help

Post by cooper_9 »

alright i have a 92 SOHC and lately the exhaust is running really loud. i havent changed anything on it, its completly stock. it also rumbles a lot so that i can feel it inside the car. i'm wondering if there is a problem with either the muffler or the cat...does anyone know?
Jay Cooper
92 Blue GS
hondah8er13

Re: exhaust problem...plz help

Post by hondah8er13 »

Hey man i have a 92 sohc also and when i got the car it was doing the same thing you are talking about, so i took it to my local muffler shop and he said the cat was clogged and restrictive. so he said he would cut it off and run straight pipe, so he did and still have the same problem. Anyway i know this does not help you but i wanted you to know you are not alone... lol anyway have you checked for any exhaust leaks? see ya :froggie_red:
Zoom-Zoom
Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

stock exhaust right u probly have a hole in ur exhaust sysytem which is causing ur car to sound like it has a aftermarket exhaust. look ur car for any hole on the exhust piping or muffler can't find one turn ur car on and listen where the car sounds loud should feel air hot blowing out. take it to any muffler shop and have it fix. what OEM $$$$ either way ur choice. laters

Drifter MX-3
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

I got a SOHC 92. And about every two years I have to check or replace the downpipe. For some reason it gets really hot and the connection between the exhaust maniford and the downpipe warps, and creats a small or large leak. It slowly gets louder till you think heh? why's my car so loud now.
Open your hood, and if you can't hear the valve tick over the exhaust, it's probably a leak around there
I always get my stuff done at speedy up here in canada, cause when the downpipe goes every two years they replace it for free because of their warrenty, damn good deal!!
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
cooper_9

Post by cooper_9 »

i checked it today and it was a hole in the rear pipe. $36 CAN for a new one, not bad. but since i liked the sound i thought i'd buy a performance muffler while i was spending money.
Jay Cooper
92 Blue GS
jumboplay

Post by jumboplay »

Glad you found your problem. I had the same problem for months and no one could figure it out - until I did by accident. I had a whole in my INTAKE pipe. Made the car sound performancy (read: loud) and I hated it. Go figure. Welcome back to the land of quiet..unless you don't want that? hehe
-Tom J, proud MX-3 pilot-
Get your entertainment upgraded at http://www.tommyv2.com

1996 MX-3 RS/GS hybrid, OBDII B6-ZE, painted Mazda crystal white, ZX-2+Eibach, Miglia Spyder 17"s, markerflash, black altezzas, insane fuel economy, too many other mods to list...

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”