tune up

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
jamario

tune up

Post by jamario »

When should I replace my spark plugs, wires,distributor cap and rotor. I forgot the last time I change it.
IF LIFE DOESN'T OFFER A GAME WORTH PLAYING, THEN INVENT ONE.
schwankesmx3

Re: tune up

Post by schwankesmx3 »

i replace my plugs and wires every 10k....if i was you i would change them when u get the time to
3-1-0 RACING club PREZ.
94' mx-3.....was all motor now awd bpt
91' 323....daily driver
78' cutless coupe...bad a-- mofo v8
95' eclipse gsx......awd turbo 11.4 eta
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

I would advise the plugs ever 30k miles and the cap, rotor and wires ever 60k
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

i just replaced pulg and wires and i got the good stuff, and i felt a diff so for plugs i do think you should spend 30-40 and get the BOSCH platinum 4's
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Originally posted by m92_MX3:
i just replaced pulg and wires and i got the good stuff, and i felt a diff so for plugs i do think you should spend 30-40 and get the BOSCH platinum 4's
Meh i wouldnt go out and spend to much. Bosch plats will last longeer but if your lookging for performance the Ngk's they suggest will work just as well if not better.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
Spotted

Post by Spotted »

I need help identifing a part.
Under the cap and rotor there is a plastic "cover" type of disk.
Mine has cracks in it. Does anyone know the name of this piece so I can get it replaced?

Thanks

:welder:
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by Spotted:
I need help identifing a part.
Under the cap and rotor there is a plastic "cover" type of disk.
Mine has cracks in it. Does anyone know the name of this piece so I can get it replaced?
I assume your car is a 94 1.6L DOHC. Believe it or not, cked. my Mazda shop manual and this part is simply labeled "cover" so you had that correct.

BTW, you probably should have started a new thread for this topic since Mario was originally asking about tune-up intervals...
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Originally posted by Mario:
When should I replace my spark plugs, wires,distributor cap and rotor. I forgot the last time I change it.
I've generally replaced these at the following intervals:

* Wires every 50K miles (they do last that long)

* Cap & rotor yearly or approx. 12-15K miles (they wear/get corroded within that interval)

* Plugs-depends on the plug. When I've run NGK's, I've replaced them when doing the cap & rotor. Maybe that's too soon but they're not expensive to replace. When I've used Bosch plat-4's, I've replaced em when replacing the wires although Bosch rates em for 100K I believe.

If you're gonna spend the $$ for Bosch plat-4's, consider getting Halo's (also rated to 100K)instead for about the same cost. Halo's have a unique patented design with a full circle tip & outperformed every other plug (including Bosch plat-4's) in independent testing at the Univ. of Michigan. In fact, just to verify their test results, UM folks then removed the Halo tips and put those tips onto the Bosch plugs. They outperformed there as well. The circular ("halo") tip is the difference. In fact it is recommended that you reset your ECU when installing the Halo's because they are that much more efficient.

I had friends absolutely raving about the Halo's but still wasn't completely convinced myself so I did something similar. Had just completed a full tune-up except for plugs & had a new set of Bosch Platinum-4's ready to go in. I bought the Halo's but installed the Bosch Plats. for one tank worth of gas, then replaced with the Halo's. The difference/improvement was astounding. Better throttle response, much smoother idle, and my gas mileage under nearly identical driving conditions went up by 50+ miles per tank on the MX-3. I've since installed in all my cars with similar results. If anyone wants to see the UM test results or to know where to buy em lemme know & I'll dig up the links. Not sure but I think you can only buy Halo's online or via mail order.

<small>[ June 21, 2004, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: perhapsadingo8yerbaby ]</small>
jamario

Post by jamario »

Actually I don't mind. All the off topic response answered my other questions I had. Thanks guys for your help.
IF LIFE DOESN'T OFFER A GAME WORTH PLAYING, THEN INVENT ONE.
Spotted

Post by Spotted »

Ok, so does anyone recommend replacing the "cover"? Yes, it is a 94 1.6. Sorry about that.
1 last thing, where can I get those plugs?
I went to their website and they stopped selling them 10 days ago.

Thanks

m92_MX3

Post by m92_MX3 »

what plugs ????
CTC Racing
92 1.6L
93 323 Tranny, ACT clutch, Exhaust, cold air intake, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD 8.5mm super conductor wires NGK V-power platinum plugs,engine dress up,custom interior(almost done), GS front bumper, GS 5 spoke wheels Painted white.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

I think he means the Halo type sparkplugs I referenced above. Lemme check around a bit and get back to ya. Didn't realize they stopped being sold. Hope the manufacturer hasn't stopped making them or I'll be very disappointed...
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Damitall... there doesn't appear to be another source for the Halo plugs. Manufacturing stopped 6/13/04. Very disappointing. Well, I added myself to their email list to be notified when their new design comes out in '05. Thing is, I don't like using new designs on something like this (especially if they're expensive) without seeing some independently well documented test results. Will just have to wait and see I guess... :(

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”