odd ticking sound

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Redlined

odd ticking sound

Post by Redlined »

ok i dont have a clue how to search for this because I do not even know where to begin.
I took my car for a drive today and as im pressing on the gas it is fine but as soon as i lift my foot off of the gas or slip the car into neutral either through the clutch of the shifter, it makes a ticking noise. It is not coming from the engine, i dont think it is anyway. It sounds like that stupid sound when kids put a baseball card in the spokes of their bikes. It can be really fast as I am doing 50 or so and slows down as my speed. It only does it when not pressing the gas. Sounds like it is coming from the passenger side front anyone know what this could be? any help appreciated thanx
mike
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: odd ticking sound

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Does the sound change along with engine rpm's or with the speed the wheels are turning?

Edit: I think you already gave that info... noise relates more to wheel speed than engine speed. Might help isolate the cause if you could ride as the passenger with the window down while the noise comes on.

<small>[ June 10, 2004, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: perhapsadingo8yerbaby ]</small>
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

no sound at all when the engine rpms are rising im going to go get someone to drive my car for me now and ill get in the passenger seat but it does sound like the front passenger wheel or assembly.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i know my RS had a similar issue when the tranny was starting to die
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

definitely front passenger wheel
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Sounds likely to be a worn CV joint, probably the passenger side outer one. That joint takes more stress over time than the inner ones so it usually wears out first. And if I remember correctly, the passenger side CV's take more overall stress than driver side because the pass. side half axle is a bit longer & so literally travels further over it useful lifetime (but I may be confusing that last bit of info with my Celica.)

In any case, R outer cv joint is the prime suspect. If accurate, you would need that 1/2 axle replaced. Not TOO bad compared to a tranny issue. Potentially could be a wheel bearing instead, but bearing noises tend to be less regular and sound worse at low low speed. (Like the sound of teeth getting crunched to pieces)
dj inferno

Post by dj inferno »

yah, the RS pass axles is almost twice as long as the driver side axle... easy to replace tho if u got tools...
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

just in case anyone cares or was wondering...
I FINALLY got my cv joint in today that was the problem or so they said. Took a month to get in here with air mail YA WOOO SPEEDY AUTOMOTIVE good **** there. Anyway so the garage put it in and guess what the reason the cv joint had gone they say was because my tranny. My differential is now gone therefore tranny=gone so that blows. Anyone have any idea of what kinda price im lookin at for gettin that repaired?
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Damn that sucks. Not sure myself of the cost for that repair done by a mech/shop. I use a local Aamco transmission shop that does decent work but I've only used em for a rebuild on an auto tranny because they're such a pain to work on. Probs w/MTX's are much more straightforward and those I take care of repairing myself. Ya might wanna PM Papa Roached with that question. From his post above, sounds like he's already been thru the same thing with his RS MTX that you're going through now.

Since you now know the info you're after, you might also wanna call around if ya have any local transmission shops and ask what a rebuild or a swap for a remanufactured MTX would run on your car. They won't give you a legally binding estimate on the phone but will usually ballpark the cost for ya. Ask if they can estimate how much of the total cost would be for labor. If it's outrageous, maybe you'll decide to dive in and do your own work. That's how I got into it. :shrug:

<small>[ July 08, 2004, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: perhapsadingo8yerbaby ]</small>

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”