Are all mazdas this damn slow?

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
AllisMitchChalmers

Are all mazdas this damn slow?

Post by AllisMitchChalmers »

My 95 mx-3 has like no power. I block the hell out of traffic when i get on the interstate i mean god damn if the boogy man was chasin me on foot he would beat the hell outta my *** . My 88 sentra that half runs itself with a need of a rebuilt auto can do a ****in burnout on gravel while the mx-3 wont even move a rock. I just bought this car and it has only 58k on it. Also it set at a refridgeration business for 4 years. If this thing dont get anymore power than its supposed to i think i might sell this thing and hate mazdas forever! :rant2:
papa roached

Re: Are all mazdas this damn slow?

Post by papa roached »

sounds like you have the 1.6L SOHC motor, 88HP man, it WILL Be slow and no, not all Mazdas are THAT slow
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

It's 88hp but it still can squeek the tires. Just need to replace the clutch - sounds like yours is slipping
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

yea, does sound like a slipping clutch
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Originally posted by Hennasee:
My 95 mx-3 has like no power. I block the hell out of traffic when i get on the interstate i mean god damn if the boogy man was chasin me on foot he would beat the hell outta my *** . My 88 sentra that half runs itself with a need of a rebuilt auto can do a ****in burnout on gravel while the mx-3 wont even move a rock. I just bought this car and it has only 58k on it. Also it set at a refridgeration business for 4 years. If this thing dont get anymore power than its supposed to i think i might sell this thing and hate mazdas forever! :rant2:
Is it a Automatic? Mazda autos are not the greatest. THe motor could also be in need of a tuneup and regular maintence as well.

Edit and a nitpick.. its a 95 that means its a DOHC =]

<small>[ May 30, 2004, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: torpedan ]</small>
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

didnt see that it was a 95, still 100 HP :p

killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

i dont know, did you like, maybe, test driver it before?
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

It sat 5 years in a parking lot. Well Sir, you buy great cars :roll: . Sorry to be mean, but if you test drove it, and was told it had been sitting for that long, I really don't see how you can complain. The seals on that car are probibly like dry dirt; thus a loss of compression and oil into the cylinders. I guess it could be a bad clutch if it's an manual, but how would that effect his freeway driving unless it is lined with teflon?

I can't recomend anything, besides popping off the valve cover to look at the condition of your valves etc, and getting a compression test. Good luck with it.

<small>[ May 30, 2004, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: MX3-Freak ]</small>
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Since it sat so many years I assume you changed all fluids before putting the car back on the road.

1) What did the old oil & coolant look like? Did either have a grey color?

2) Is the car an auto transmission?

3) When accelerating do you seem to be increasing the rpms ok but the car just doesn't pick up road speed?

I drive a 95 MX-3 with 130K, it has just a few basic mods and while not a genuine speed machine by any stretch, it can still eat Sentras for lunch... actually more like a quick snack really... a tasty bite-sized morsel... :p
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

sounds like time for that swap :welder:
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
duo

Post by duo »

i have a slow 93 mx3 too. its a 1.6l automatic can someone tell me wat can i do to make it a little bit faster..i just bought couple of weeks ago. will and intake gave it a little push??

<small>[ June 02, 2004, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: duo-mx3 ]</small>
RoundTop

Post by RoundTop »

Duo,

not really... since the reason to have an air intake replacement is to give you more air to mix with the fuel at higher speeds or under heavy acceleration. The problem is that the auto does not get into the high power band really at all so the effectiveness of an air intake will be limited.

1.6L 4 cylinder engine with auto... that is practically the same engine that was in the 323 just FYI.
duo

Post by duo »

oic thnx for the info.. but can i ask this, saw a speed performance chip at ebay and said that it wil gave 20hp. does it works, and how is it works??
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by duo-mx3:
oic thnx for the info.. but can i ask this, saw a speed performance chip at ebay and said that it wil gave 20hp. does it works, and how is it works??
Check out this thread:

http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=004202

Ian's comment on it says it all...
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

And, I dont care what ANYONE says-- you are NEVER going to get 20 HP that easily out of an engine that only makes 105 at the Flywheel from the factory.

You couldnt even get that with an intake, headers & full exhaust.

Sorry. :freak:
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”