loosing power when i stop

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mxprecidia

loosing power when i stop

Post by mxprecidia »

i have had this problem for so long...when i come to a stop my car looses power...i got a new alt and that didnt work...my engine sounds funny when i stop and sometimes my belts sqeal...what can i do to fix this?
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
Redlined

Re: loosing power when i stop

Post by Redlined »

I dont really get what your saying but as far as I know no ones car gets more power as they stop, that would defeat the entire purpose of brakes. :shrug:
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

he probably ment that his car shuts off as he comes to stop, this started being a problem on my mx too recently, its vacuum leak somewhere.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Had a similar power loss and stall problem on my other Mazda, an MX6 and was driving me nuts for weeks. Finally found a hairline crack in the air intake hose which wasn't visible without taking the hose off and flexing it. Under power, engine compensated ok for the air leaking in but couldn't compensate at idle (or basically, as soon as I took my foot off the gas) Would act similar to a vac prob. Might be worth looking at too. Apparently, a lot of people have similar probs on older cars and this cause gets overlooked. G'luck
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

I don't think he is refrencing engine power...sounds to me like electrical power (a replaced alt...). How low is your idle, and how many extra power sucking appliances do you have on your car?
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

i am reffering to electrical...sorry...but i only have a 1000 watt system that is hardly ever used...i mostly get the problem at night when my headlights are on....they drain SO much power from my car...the headlights plus the brakes at the same time make the belts squeal and sh*t...im not sure what the idle is, but it reall drops when i put my headlights on...keep in mind i have an automatic 1.6 dohc
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
Redlined

Post by Redlined »

check your alternator and its connections and also if your rpms are dropping and your car almost shuts off it could also be that your MAF is not connected properly. With my intake the MAF had a tendancy to almost come off and that gave my car a retarded idle problem and shut off by itself sometimes.
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Originally posted by perhapsadingo8yerbaby:
Had a similar power loss and stall problem on my other Mazda, an MX6 and was driving me nuts for weeks. Finally found a hairline crack in the air intake hose which wasn't visible without taking the hose off and flexing it. Under power, engine compensated ok for the air leaking in but couldn't compensate at idle (or basically, as soon as I took my foot off the gas) Would act similar to a vac prob. Might be worth looking at too. Apparently, a lot of people have similar probs on older cars and this cause gets overlooked. G'luck
Agreed-- start here first.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

someone should make intake that replaces stock rubber one, and wont crack in future
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Originally posted by atlantamx3:
Originally posted by perhapsadingo8yerbaby:
Agreed-- start here first.
I believe it has been established we are not talking about engine power here, but electrical power. Thus the car isn't stalling or losing horses at an idle. So I am missing how the air intake can affect electrical power output with an engine that is idling properly? :confused2:

Now I wish I could offer advice with your power problem, but automotive electic confuses the hell out of me lol. All I can think of is your Alt is not producing sufficent power at idle rpm, or you have a large power drain that you are unaware of, straining the system. Maybe some1 with more experience can help :dunno:
Car Meanins:
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

its a new altenator tho
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Could be defective...I don't know, this is one case where the blind shouldn't lead the blind lol :roll: .
Car Meanins:
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

I don't think it is an electicall problem.

If you want to make sure:->
1. Drive your car around till the problem starts to happen
2. Stop the car and put it in PARK
3. Have someone on your battery with a volt meter.
4. Hit the brakes and turn on some stuff and see if the voltage at your battery goes way below 14.4volts.

If it drops like one or two volts, thats not a big deal - if it drops like 4-6volts, it's an electricall problem.

but I think it's like my car - a vaccum leak on the intake. I'm thinking of getting one of those intakes that are on ebay now for the sohc. Wonder if they have one for the dohc? I don't know.......
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
Reprobation14

Post by Reprobation14 »

I had basically the exact same problem...
Sometimes i would come to stop.. and all my power (dash lights/headlights/radio) would die as soon as the rear breaklights engaged...

Turns out it was some MAJOR corrosion on the battery terminals... I cleaned them off... but it returned a few weeks later... so i just ripped off the old terminals, cut the wires alittle shorter, and replaced the terminals... now it's been about 3 months.. and no problems since...

Hope this helps!

-Chris
mxprecidia

Post by mxprecidia »

ill try that today, thanks

by the way i never stall out...the car just gets retarded and feels like everything just slows down

in the meantime, anything i can do to get more electrical power?

has anyone put in a 16 volt battery? would that do it?
www.illegalCustoms.com
Tri-State Area Car Club

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”