Engine Died - Again!

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
Joobers

Engine Died - Again!

Post by Joobers »

I finally got my car fixed - new computer put in. Car was running normal until it the engine cut out on me while driving. Now it won't start again. I am getting so frustrated with this car and wish that I had never bought it. The car is great when it runs - if only it did.
schwankesmx3

Re: Engine Died - Again!

Post by schwankesmx3 »

the fuel pump might be bad
3-1-0 RACING club PREZ.
94' mx-3.....was all motor now awd bpt
91' 323....daily driver
78' cutless coupe...bad a-- mofo v8
95' eclipse gsx......awd turbo 11.4 eta
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

also might be your fuel filter, thats why i like those clear plastic ones they use on domestic older cars, you can see if fuel is pumped or not and if its dirty, same thing happened to my buddy, and he just replaced fuel filter, started right up
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
Joobers

Post by Joobers »

I am thinking that I might have a short or a bad ground causing electrical problems. I do get fuel to the plugs - but no spark. I had this problem before I took it to the shop. I pretty much replaced all the electrical components of my car (thank God for cheap eBay parts) to get it running again (albeit only 1/2 hour). There was a fair amount of buildup around my negative battery post (was clean 1/2 hour prior) - don't know what is causing that. Anyway I took it back to the shop.
Ehpl

Post by Ehpl »

I just had the same sort of problem with my winter car, ford festiva pretty well the same eng as the 1.6 soch mx-3 , car was on the highway an just died but kicked back in when i let off the gas an then worked fine, a few days later it just wouldnt start in work parkinlot for no reason,checked plugs coil cap rotor all good, I just replaced the distributor with a used one from junk yard tonite. the module in the distributor died. fired up fine ,seems to work better now plus.
These modules are known to go ,
you might want to try this.

Eugene L
1.6DOHC
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552384
Ehpl

Post by Ehpl »

PS
Is always good to add another ground from the engine to the body an check the battery ground for a good connection on both ends.

Eugene L
1.6dohc
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552384
Joobers

Post by Joobers »

Well, it has been a long time since it died and it still is dead. I took it to a mechanic and they couldn't find the proper wiring diagram for the car. There is no Mazda dealership in town - the closest one is 450kms away.

I have tried a new distributer, coil, module, plugs, wires, ecu (2 of them), cap, and rotor. I checked the fuses and they are fine.

I would like to get my car running but I am near the end of trying. :( Any help would be appreciated before I give up on my car.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

check the fuel pump
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Checked the crank angle sensor? I had a belt rub through the CAS cable. Its under the crank shaft pulley. There's another one in the distributor.

<small>[ August 18, 2004, 01:42 AM: Message edited by: Grants ]</small>
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
Joobers

Post by Joobers »

The crank angle sensor in the distributor should be fine since I replaced the distributor. I never heard of the other sensor location. Could you (or anyone) reply with a picture (or diagram) of where this is exactly? If the sensor is gone will this prevent the car from starting? If there is no visible defects in the CAS cable is there a way to test it? This could possibly be the reason. Thanks for giving me some hope.

BTW - my car is a 92 SOHC Auto

<small>[ August 18, 2004, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Joobers ]</small>
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

I've just posted a diagram - follow the link below. The cable on mine was cut right through so it was pretty obviously damaged. Without the sensor the engine will crank but will not start (or if running when it fails will just stop).

Hope this helps - let us know how you go. I'll see if I can find out if there's a test for the cable if it looks ok.
“You’ll find, that the only thing you can do easily is be wrong, and that’s hardly worth the effort.”
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

the one in the disty is cam angle ;)
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Joobers

Post by Joobers »

The diagram is for a V6 - anyone know where it is on the 4 banger?
Grants
BANNED Member

Post by Grants »

Maybe the 4 doesn't have the second one???

Don't know if it will help but have posted the ECU wiring on that same page. The fault seems to be something along these lines but who knows.....
Joobers

Post by Joobers »

Will the ECU wiring diagram be the same for the 4 cylinder SOHC as well?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”