premium gas?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
93emeraldGS

premium gas?

Post by 93emeraldGS »

is premium gas worth the extra then regular unleaded on a gs v6 for performance wise?
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: premium gas?

Post by Custommx3 »

It helps reduce pinging, but as far as performace, I would say no.
mitmaks

Post by mitmaks »

i would say it does improve performance some, some people might not notice cause if u drive mx-3 no matter which gas u put in u dont really notice difference, but when u have old POS honda civic and u put supreme instead of regular u can feel pull of engine way better right after u start off from gas station. if racing i would definitely recommend high octane but for city low octane is enough cause high octane burns hotter and if ure driving through city ur car will overheat faster than it would on regular octane, especially if ure in big traffic during peak hours
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

my understanding is the higher the octane, the more resistance it has to detonating. which in turn will allow you more potential for performance.(higher CR, more boost, bigger shot of NITROUS) i can't say that i've heard of it burning hotter though. even if it does, i can't see it overheating your car. but hey, i don't work for exxon, so i don't know for sure :cool:
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
Shades

Post by Shades »

I notice a twitch more response on take off... it has a little more go.
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

Setting the emission gains asside, does 91 and above help keep your engine in better condition longer? Or, is this a myth??<P>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aiden:<BR><STRONG>Setting the emission gains asside, does 91 and above help keep your engine in better condition longer? Or, is this a myth??<P>~A</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Some gas companies add detergents to their high octane gasoline in order to reduce deposits and to burn better. It all depends on what station you're using.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
gmuffb

Post by gmuffb »

Aside from all that technical crap, the higher the octane the better the gas is for your car!
¤Kelli¤
93emeraldGS

Post by 93emeraldGS »

totally appreciate everyones comments but is it worth the extra cost for the higher octane or should i just go with the regular unleaded? or is this question for what my finances can afford?
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

Like sonicxtacy said they add detergents in the higher priced stuff wich keeps your fuel injectors clean. I'll put some in like once a month just to keep it running clean
Custommx3
Site Administrator

Post by Custommx3 »

Actually, they all have the same detergents in all grades.
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

It takes me like 12-14 dollars to fill up my tank when its below a quarter full so it doesn't bother me to use 93 octane. Plus with the mileage I only need to fill up once about every two weeks. I can't see how it can hurt the engine so I see no reason not to use it.
back alley

Post by back alley »

saiyajin

Post by saiyajin »

honestly the only time I have noticed better performnaces with premium gas is like with the v6 camaro I had or v8 cars my friends had. And the only reason for the 6 was that I had it at over 250 hp. Even with regular 6's u dont feel s--- and they say its bad for the engine cause it causes more powerful expolsions than needed or something to that effect. Dont waste your time or money on premium unless u get a crazy charger in it.
tk1138

Post by tk1138 »

Higher octane won't cause more powerful explosions, ceterus paribus (everything else the same). Higher octane will keep your engine from preigniting or desiling, but most N/A engines don't have this problem much. If you boost, or have High CR then higher octane is suggested. <P>More powerful explosions (a result of energy content) would be a GOOD thing though, as this is where all your cars power comes from. <P>I use Premium (91 and oxygenated in winter) all the time, My last car (premium as well) lasted 180k Miles, this car is on 120k Miles and running great. Of course you cant draw to much corelation data from limited population case studies.<p>[ September 07, 2002: Message edited by: tk1138 ]
tk1138<P>There's not really anything I want to say over and over.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”