Nice sounding exhaust

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mnuckols

Nice sounding exhaust

Post by mnuckols »

I need new exhaust and I was wondering what you guys have and what you think sounds the best.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Nice sounding exhaust

Post by mitmaks »

ive got apexi muffler without silencer sounds great, not too raspy or loud annoying like civics, oh ya its v6, so it sounds good on it, Im thinking of bolting on test pipe instead of cat soon.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

i have a custom-built powertech muffler. sounds REALLY nice, used to have a wav file but not anymre.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

personally i liked the cheap one i got from autozone.. *shrug*
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
mnuckols

Post by mnuckols »

best sounding muffler for the 4 banger? and what size piping should i get....I MAY switch over to bpt later on but not sure.
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

For the 4-cyl, you want to keep the pipe narrower to keep gas velocities up, but if you ARE going turbo later, you'll want a bigger pipe to decrease back pressure. The real difference is that with the larger pipe you'll get a better top end & high RPM fuel economy, but the smaller pipe moves the power band down for a better low end tourqe.
2.25" was the largest the folks that built my system reccomended for a NA 4-cyl.

As to what sounds best, thats up to you man. Some people actualy LIKE the sound of those gawd awful irritating fart cans,... Sounds like a 400lb bumble bee to me. I prefer a mellow tone with an edge when you get in it, but something that wont attract the cops eyes every time you drive by.
Get a better idea what sound you want, then you can get beter answers.
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
FlyingMXer

Post by FlyingMXer »

Originally posted by Freq2002:
For the 4-cyl, you want to keep the pipe narrower to keep gas velocities up, but if you ARE going turbo later, you'll want a bigger pipe to decrease back pressure. The real difference is that with the larger pipe you'll get a better top end & high RPM fuel economy, but the smaller pipe moves the power band down for a better low end tourqe.
2.25" was the largest the folks that built my system reccomended for a NA 4-cyl.

As to what sounds best, thats up to you man. Some people actualy LIKE the sound of those gawd awful irritating fart cans,... Sounds like a 400lb bumble bee to me. I prefer a mellow tone with an edge when you get in it, but something that wont attract the cops eyes every time you drive by.
Get a better idea what sound you want, then you can get beter answers.
That is exactly my sentiments man :D I am looking for something that is only loud when I want it to be, ya know? I wish there was some way we could get the roar of good ol American muscle lol but with a 4-banger :roll: not really possible to my knowledge.
Later, D
92 4-banger (totaled unfortunately. Current ride is 2001 Mustang GT)

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”